Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Boxes - - -

Power Poster

Boxes - - -

Are you a cardboard box hoarder?

I am a semi-reformed one. I am finally able to get rid of the truly bedraggled ones. (I hate to buy a cardboard box - even though matching ones stack a lot better!)

I always feel so "vindicated" when I have one on hand that is the perfect size for something or other.

I don't have a huge stash of them any more - but I have not been able to get rid of them all. (DH has been doing his best to get that to happen!)

PS - I do have a good supply of plastic totes. Sending stuff off in a plastic tote is like sending food away in Tupperware.

I keep a few on hand for storage. I keep my mailing ones flat and out of the way.

Love your p.s
    Its true you will never see your tupperware again.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Power Poster
    I used to save boxes for Christmas gift wrapping but I made family colour coded fabric bags for under the tree. For others I just buy bags for gifting.

Power Poster
    I wrap my baby shower gifts in a huge plastic trash bag - I do tie it with pretty ribbons.

The shower gift usually has a small laundry basket with stuff in it. Not cute - but functional.

Blog Entries
    I used to keep every box. My husband called me the Box Lady of Buenie (the nickname for the town we live in)
    He told me to buy plastic tubs, now he is complaining I buy to many.

Blog Entries
    No but I have a bunch that will goin the recycling tomorrow.

It you think outside the box,( pun intended), there are so many places you can find good boxes for free.

Where I used to work, I can get boxes that are perfect for pocket books. I can stand up the books, so I can see the spine, which lets me sort them as I pack the books up for the thrift shop.

When my xmil was moving I got boxes from a local pharmacy. Pills come in small boxes with dividers (like mini wine boxes), they were perfect for all the knick knacks.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Our old house had a walk up attic and all boxes went up there. We moved 3 years ago and used many of them in that process. This house is smaller and I'm compelled to get rid of them - it feels good !

I don't save small boxes, I certainly don't save bedraggled boxes, but I save moving boxes, as well as boxes that big things come in - like the TV, table lamps, computer, shop vac, etc. These come in very handy when I move, as I did recently, but they take up an incredible amount of space in the garage. I need to force myself to get rid of the boxes, at least the ones that aren't special purpose. Maybe when the weather cools down I will put an ad in craigslist and get rid of them. Or maybe not, since you never know for sure that you won't need them again, do you?

I'm a box saver, much to my husband's dismay! Don't need them as often as we used to for mailing packages, but when you need a box, you need it Now! and it is aggravating to have had him recycle one that was just the right size!! (And I also save jars--you never know when you need a small jar for shaking up salad dsg. or gravy thickening or for storing dry goods in the pantry. It's an obsession LOL!)

I too am a box hoarder!!! But it makes me feel so GOOD, when I can pull out "The Box" when someone needs it (YES - vindicated). DH doesn't know about my box hoarding, because I keep them flat. But I am able to get to them without any problem (next to the washer and dryer or under the plastic tubs of fabric under the guest bed). I use them for donations, so much easier than bags. I will keep one in the guest room for all items that will take the ride, when full DH takes down to GW and drops off. I also use for templates of patterns in some of my sewing. When I'm doing a lot of cutting, it helps because I can always replace the pattern in a heart beat (I keep the original and trace it onto the part of the box that I can make a couple of templates out of then the rest goes into the recycling). So I might be a "hoarder", but I'm also a "user".

Blog Entries
    No, I quit saving boxes years ago. My mother-in-law saved boxes, paper and ribbon; that totally broke me from saving that stuff. I usually put my shipping boxes in the recycle bin at the extension office. If I am in a swap, I will keep one or two for shipping so I don't have to purchase boxes.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

LOL Just this morning, as I woke up, I was thinking I need to get rid of mount card board box. It is close to six feet high in my studio.
    Anna Quilts

No, but I keep boxes and seems that there is always a friend moving to pass them forward to. I do keep any bubble wrap that comes my way too.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I used to hoard my boxes too when I got them from something I ordered online. I would cut the tape off the flaps so I could flatten them out and stack them in a plastic tote I have my boxes stored in. From time to time I'll go thru them and discard some but I like to keep some to mail quilts in. Just tossed a whole trash can full last night so I feel good. Also climbed up into my garage rafters to see what I had stored up there. Found a plastic tote full of empty cartons from numerous computer items. Went thru them and tossed those I no longer have and/or replaced with a new item. Like to keep the box stuff came in in case I decide to sell it online or in a garage sale. Looks better to me if I have the box. Still have the original boxes all my sewing/embroidery machines came in too up in the rafters. Found a computer scanner in one of the totes I'd forgot I had. Thought I'd given that away.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    I only keep the 'cool' boxes lol My son helped us move from Ohio to Mo. and while he and my brother were loading the truck I heard them start laughing -Kiddo hollers for me -when I entered the room he says Mom where and when did you get these 3 tomato boxes. I got them at a roadside fruit stand near Oceanside, Cal. in 1981. My brother shook his head and tells my son yep she was always an odd duck. They are very well constructed and they have lids. Through the years I would packed them with fabric and notions and grab my sewing machine to take with me when we traveled.They are the oldest in my collection. Finding cool boxes is not as easy as it once was..

I also save boxes and have had to make myself get rid of some as I ran out of storage space. I am trying to keep "just a few" but noticed the other day that I need to go through them again.

I do remember one Christmas an aunt of mine was desperate to find boxes to wrap presents in. She used, among others, a cracker box, cereal box, and tampon box. Unfortunately, a male cousin got the present in the tampon box. We are still not sure who was the most embarrassed, my aunt or my cousin!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
    I also save boxes and have had to make myself get rid of some as I ran out of storage space. I am trying to keep "just a few" but noticed the other day that I need to go through them again.

I do remember one Christmas an aunt of mine was desperate to find boxes to wrap presents in. She used, among others, a cracker box, cereal box, and tampon box. Unfortunately, a male cousin got the present in the tampon box. We are still not sure who was the most embarrassed, my aunt or my cousin!
    - - as long as the tampons were out of the box and what was IN the box was appropriate - -

If this was years ago, the embarrassment factor was probably much greater than it would be now - - -

I don't keep cardboard boxes. They are mashed flat and put in the trash bin as soon as they are emptied. I don't see the reason to keep them. They will take up a lot of storage space and roaches love the glue. When I need one for mailing it's easy to find one at the post office or UPS store.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I don't save boxes either....but I do love hat boxes....have a few that I have found at garage sales...they are not the old vintage ones, newer with colorful prints on outside....like to store projects in them......hand ones I'll take to bees or workshops and always get "how cute" comments....

Mine was not boxes, but store plastic bags. I would always keep them with recycling in mine, but never took them back to the store or the recycler. My son came to visit and found two contractor size trash bags full. I do save one or two, but the rest goes away. That was hard.

Blog Entries
    I have a hard time throwing away shoe boxes, and worse yet is I always can find a project to fill them.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by maryfrang View Post
    Mine was not boxes, but store plastic bags. I would always keep them with recycling in mine, but never took them back to the store or the recycler. My son came to visit and found two contractor size trash bags full. I do save one or two, but the rest goes away. That was hard.
    Now those I do keep..., I made a few of those cylinders from fabric that you hang on a doorknob...opening on top to stuff into and small opening on bottom to pull out.......I use the bags to line trash containers ( cute, decorative type) in bathrooms, bedrooms,sewing room......then just take whole bag put for trash pick up days....and replace. Also, have cats (2) and 4 litter boxes....need I say more........

Yes, I keep boxes.....I ship items, and finding an appropriate box can be challenging. I tend to keep them in their original state unless they are large, so I can easily find what I need. I did end up buying some small boxes because I have a lot of small items to ship, but I hate to buy boxes if I can get them for free!

Box hoarder here and no apology from me. I don't live in an area where I can walk a few blocks or even drive a few blocks and find a store to pick up boxes from. My family is strewed from CO to VA and MS, so I need boxes many times in a years time.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B