Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Braid rug the easy way

Braid rug the easy way

While I am still working on my king quilt and squares with stars, I yet another small diversion lol....I love my diversions. I went to visit my dear friend. The last time I was there she was ironing tons of strips to make a tooth brush rug. I don't know what happened but she threw all the strips in a garbage and threw that bag into the garage hahahahha...

She asked me if I wanted them, I said ok (anything for something different). The instructions and the needle (made out of a toothbrush with a hole on the end). She just got fustrated and I can't blame her, the instruction were a bit confusing. So off I went to research it on utube. I found all sort of rag rugs and all sorts of videos. I then remembered I had a book on cloth rugs.

After reading the book. I decided that the toothbrush rug was a bit lumpy lol and braided rugs were more refined. I didn't want to braid and sew tho, so off I went again to research. I found this lovely lady on utube who braided but didn't sew the braids, instead she just used the loops from the middle strip to attach the braid. You have to see it to understand it. She was very good.

This is what I have done so far. I decided I would do this at night while watching tv. When I get it done I will give it to her. I feel bad that she did all that work spent 14.00 for the pattern and I am having such a good time doing it anyway. It is totally mindless lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    you're doing a great job and nice to give it to her after all the work
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Will you share the link to the video with us? TIA

Blog Entries
    I too would love the link to the video you found. This is something my disabled sister would enjoy doing.

Me too, please.
    June

Me too please TOO!! Love to know what video you watched.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    Looks like she cut up some beautiful fabrics.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUmnXqy1egY I have found this Lost art of braid in rugs. There are 4 parts

is it something like this ? I like to give this someday http://ragrugcafe.com/toothbrush-rug...rt-1-beginners

Thanks for the youtube link. Just watched part one. This looks so easy, and she does an excellent job of explaining the process. I have been wanting to try this, but without crochet, so will put on my "to do" list!

I have made a lot of toothbrush rugs. I can just sit and watch Nexflix and do not have to worry about what color comes next. My favorite fabric is old double knit polyester. Makes very soft rugs.

That is going to be a beautiful rug!!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Suz
    http://www.anniescatalog.com/detail....c-rmZ5Y-1Y2Fij

I have watched this video, ordered the booklet and tool. It looks easy enough and I can see how one could make a rug using a "doctored" toothbrush. In the video, she asked for 2" strips. I plan to use 2" for the base strip but 1" strips for the knotting strip as I have a big bag full of 1" strips. It may take a bit longer to make, but at least I will have made use of the 1" strips. When you look at the illustrations, make note of the rug that the rows run horizontally and then she added another two rows around the perimeter. Thought this addition looks really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUmnXqy1egY I have found this Lost art of braid in rugs. There are 4 parts
    That is a whole lot easier than doing it the tooth brush way, I don't like crocheting so will have to give this a try.
    Thank you for the link, have it bookmarked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGjSLhal0Uc

This is the one I watched, she does it in 4 parts

This has got to be something you can just start without spending a dime lol. With all videos on utube. You don't even need the toothbrush needle or a pattern. You can use the large yarn blunt needles to string the strips. You can do the two strip or the braided one. I really fell in love with the braided one as it shows 4colors. I will do some more tonight and I wouldn't even consider it work.

I am so glad that so many of you are going to try it. I think 14.00 for this pattern is a bit much but like I said, it doesn't have to cost you a dime if you don't have it lol. Strips can be anything. The video link I put up, she used t-shirts and it goes together well and it's soft. Cotton will be a bit stiffer but more secure on the floor, i Think.

I have some hammock hooks in my studio for my hammock. After I sewed my four strips together, I just hooked it on the that hook and did my braid, then it was easy just to go around and around in my lap. Just don't pull too tight, keep checking to see if the rug is laying flat. This rug is oval, so the braid starts that style.

I made a toothbrush rugs years ago - -- 20+ --- use it daily, wash when needed and just love it. I met the original designer, Aunt Phyllis at the quilt show. She's a lovely woman.
    Jane

I found this method went way to slow for me. Crocheting is much faster and has the same, great results!
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

I've made both the toothbrush rug and the crocheted rug. I've found that the crocheted rug is much faster. However, this is a great tutorial using 4 strands.

Blog Entries
    In the tutorial Erin said the only sewing is at the beginning, but she didn't say how to end off the braiding. What method do you use for that?

I'm not at the end yet. I suppose you would weave it in and sew it down or knot it.
    When I get there I will see. In the meantime I will check and see out Aunt philly does it. I have the pattern here.

Power Poster
    Looking good...