Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: bridal gown

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1
    Am new to this talk forum. I did something that I found very hard to do. I cut up my old wedding dress (from 1956) and made teddy bears out of it for the girls and grandgirls. For the boys, I used regular bears and put a cumberband of satin and a bow tie of the lace. Had to keep it manly. The hardest part was making the first cut on the dress. I did not know what else to do with it; one dil had worn it but I got it back and there it sat. The bears are all done and I think they turned out really adoreable. Would do it again and have a lot of lace and satin left - how many sachets can I make out it the leftovers? lol

    Lee (aka Tinkerbell)

  2. #2
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,583
    Blog Entries
    19
    Ring bearer pillows when each one gets married, my Christmas stockings have part of my daughters' wedding dress scraps, heart shaped tree ornaments - the list goes on.

  3. #3
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    Wow, you're brave! I'm all for not wasting anything, but can't imagine cutting up my wedding dress or my mom's. They're both in boxes in my closet. But I sure do like the idea of everything continuing to be used and cherished... out in the open... not in storage. :)

  4. #4
    Shari1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    currently in VA
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    Ring bearer pillows when each one gets married, my Christmas stockings have part of my daughters' wedding dress scraps, heart shaped tree ornaments - the list goes on.
    Those are all great ideas.

    I've been married 23.5 years. My dress is at my parents house. it's never going to be worn again and lately have found myself wondering if there's anything I could do with it worthwhile. My daughter has made it clear she will not want to wear it (fine by me)......

  5. #5
    community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    LOUISIANA
    Posts
    1,026
    I have my daughter in laws dress that I made for her about 15 years ago...She died 3 years ago...Last summer when my grandson came for a visit, I showed him the dress..I offered to make him a pillow to sleep with...but he sat quietly for a few minutes and then he said...'Meme save it until I get married...My wife may want to wear it...But if she doesn't ,then we can decide what to do then...He is only 7 years old...I still have the dress and will have it until he needs it...

  6. #6
    Senior Member barbsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    363
    Blog Entries
    1
    My daughter had me cut up her wedding dress and make a christening dress for her daughter. It was very difficult to make that first cut in the fabric, but the christening dress turned out very nice.

  7. #7
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,502
    Quote Originally Posted by p38flygirl
    I have my daughter in laws dress that I made for her about 15 years ago...She died 3 years ago...Last summer when my grandson came for a visit, I showed him the dress..I offered to make him a pillow to sleep with...but he sat quietly for a few minutes and then he said...'Meme save it until I get married...My wife may want to wear it...But if she doesn't ,then we can decide what to do then...He is only 7 years old...I still have the dress and will have it until he needs it...
    Aww that brought tears! What a sweet little boy!

  8. #8
    Super Member maryb119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    Quote Originally Posted by p38flygirl
    I have my daughter in laws dress that I made for her about 15 years ago...She died 3 years ago...Last summer when my grandson came for a visit, I showed him the dress..I offered to make him a pillow to sleep with...but he sat quietly for a few minutes and then he said...'Meme save it until I get married...My wife may want to wear it...But if she doesn't ,then we can decide what to do then...He is only 7 years old...I still have the dress and will have it until he needs it...
    Aww that brought tears! What a sweet little boy!
    I have tears too. He's so young to experince a loss like that.

  9. #9
    Super Member isnthatodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Garland, TX
    Posts
    1,957
    I still have mine after 40 1/2 years. It is knee length, and my mom handsewed lace around the neck and cuffs. I want to do something with it, but can't decide what. I also have a peautiful lavendar beaded sari that my daughter in law gave to my mother-in-law. Thought I would make wall hangings but am afraid to cut the top for fear all the beads will come off, so it hangs beside my wedding dress.

  10. #10
    Super Member Snorky Lvs2Quilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern Calif.
    Posts
    2,308
    I had two sons so my wedding gown is still in its storage box. Both my DDILs were not my size....I am only 5'2". Not sure if my DGD, who is only 2 now, will every want to wear the gown. It has been stored for 37 yrs so I will have to look and see if it is in any shape to cut up and use in something special for grandkids. Thanks for all the suggestions.

  11. #11
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    What a beautiful way to use your wedding gown :D:D:D

  12. #12
    Super Member magpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    2,075
    Try fabric glue before cutting maybe. Let dry thoroughly.

    Quote Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    I still have mine after 40 1/2 years. It is knee length, and my mom handsewed lace around the neck and cuffs. I want to do something with it, but can't decide what. I also have a peautiful lavendar beaded sari that my daughter in law gave to my mother-in-law. Thought I would make wall hangings but am afraid to cut the top for fear all the beads will come off, so it hangs beside my wedding dress.

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Shari1967
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    Ring bearer pillows when each one gets married, my Christmas stockings have part of my daughters' wedding dress scraps, heart shaped tree ornaments - the list goes on.
    Those are all great ideas.

    I've been married 23.5 years. My dress is at my parents house. it's never going to be worn again and lately have found myself wondering if there's anything I could do with it worthwhile. My daughter has made it clear she will not want to wear it (fine by me)......
    There used to be a website where you could donate your wedding gown or perhaps sew it yourself, for burial gowns for pre-term babies that didn't make it. It is such a sad idea but the parents were very grateful. You might try a Google search for something in your area if you were interested in that.

  14. #14
    Super Member redquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    7,924
    I can't stand to see good things just hang around, so many years ago I sent mine to a place in Italy that gives them to young girls too poor to buy a dress of their own and they then return it so someone else can wear it. I don't get attached to "things". I also like the idea of making the teddy bears, or ring bearer pillows or christening gowns and especially sending it to that place where it can be made into burial gowns for pre-term babies. That's really special and a very good use of the gown. What good are they doing cluttering up an attic? That's why we take pictures! Hope I'm not offending anyone - that's not my intent. It's just how I feel, but I respect anyone's wishes to hold onto theirs. I did, however, save my cathedral veil and each of my daughters wore it as did a cousin and her daughter and 2 other young cousins want to wear it too.

  15. #15
    Super Member oatw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,748
    I love all the great ideas for repurposing the wedding gowns and sharing them with those less fortunate. These are very special ways to share.

  16. #16
    Senior Member gramabiese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Seymour, Wisconsin
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by tinknhook
    Am new to this talk forum. I did something that I found very hard to do. I cut up my old wedding dress (from 1956) and made teddy bears out of it for the girls and grandgirls. For the boys, I used regular bears and put a cumberband of satin and a bow tie of the lace. Had to keep it manly. The hardest part was making the first cut on the dress. I did not know what else to do with it; one dil had worn it but I got it back and there it sat. The bears are all done and I think they turned out really adoreable. Would do it again and have a lot of lace and satin left - how many sachets can I make out it the leftovers? lol

    Lee (aka Tinkerbell)
    I have been thinking of doing something with mine too. I remember my husband's grandmother told me that she cut hers up when she had her first child as they couldn't afford a dress for her christening, so she used her wedding dress and made one, also had enough fabric from it to make herself a new blouse for the occassion. But a Baptism gown would be a wonderful gift for a grandchild or great-grandchild.

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,342
    Welcome Lee!

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    14
    Piece what you have left & make a throw pillow for your bedroom.

  19. #19
    Junior Member PKWard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    226
    Blog Entries
    2
    What a lovely idea! My gown has been in our closet for 28 years. Maybe it will get a new life someday.

    Years ago, my MIL took a fur coat of her mother's and had bears made for my SIL and me. The coat made the body of the bear, the collar made the ears and the lining was the underside of the paws and the bottom of the feet. To this day, it is the gift I treasure the most!

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    272
    I never had my gown preserved. We are RC. The nun teaching Catechism classes shared she made Mass vestments. I gave the gown of brocade to her. Sometime later I was gifted with a vestment and she had sent another to the missions. That left me with the bodice. I made a Christening bonnet out of it for my oldest grand child. Now I need ideas for a cotton lace gown made in layers.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    in my stash mostly
    Posts
    887
    There is a place on the internet where you can either donate it or make burial gowns for babies who do not survive. Just google burial gowns for babies.
    Hard to think of, but so appreciated.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4
    When my son and wife knew they were having triplet girls, I got busy and cut up my wedding dress to make christening gowns for them. They were adorable.

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4
    When my son and his wife found out that they were having triplet girls, I got my wedding gown out and made christening gowns for all three. They were adorable

  24. #24

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    lafayette, in
    Posts
    263
    my daughter could not wear mine and my son eloped so i ask my daughter what she thought and we are taking my dress (30yrs old) and hers (3yrs old) and making a christening gown for my granddaughter coming next month, and then making something for my other 2 granddaughters to keep..

  25. #25
    Senior Member wendsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    607
    My mother is a seamstess and does all kinds of sewing projects. She had a woman ask to make a christening gown out of her wedding dress, my mom did. The wedding gown was used in 5 different christening gowns and the woman's sister has had 2 gowns made out of her own wedding gown-quite a tradition to start!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.