Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bumper crop and it's not done yet.

Bumper crop and it's not done yet.

My catnip plant is going to seed as we speak. So slowly I am trimming it back for hibernation. So this means I have more catnip than I need.

Here is just a small portion I cleaned up today.

I know what it looks like, I can ASSURE you it is catnip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-11-2015 at 09:49 AM. Reason: pm
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Power Poster
    I have catnip in my perennial border and just let it go to seed every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I have catnip in my perennial border and just let it go to seed every year.
    I have one in a half wine barrel, which btw is the parent of the beast at the end of the sidewalk. I am going to mix some of the seeds with some wildflowers. It's going to be about a 6 foot circle filled with flowers so I can see them out my sewing room window.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I am assuming that it grew and grew because it wanted to make fun of you with that "wimpy" little trellis in the middle. LOL
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
    I am assuming that it grew and grew because it wanted to make fun of you with that "wimpy" little trellis in the middle. LOL
    We put the trellis in after it grew. We had some rain a while back and almost flattened it out. I trimmed off the bottom branches cause the dogs kept bending and breaking them.

What an awesome bush. I didn't know they grew that big.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
    What an awesome bush. I didn't know they grew that big.
    Neither did we, we were fortunate to get a lot of rain early summer and late spring. The parent plant has purple flowers this one has white ones.

So, what do you do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
    So, what do you do with it?
    Kitties love it! I have sent some to a few members here, gave some to the neighbors.

I used to dry mine, make cat toys (simple fish shapes) out of bright fabric.

Blog Entries
    WOW that got nice and tall. I have it in my yard but it spreads out rather then get tall. My cat walks past the catnip and eats my herbs--silly cat.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Blog Entries
    This is expensive at our local hardware store--bought some once and put in small cat toys. A friend said to keep it in freezer??-not sure on that though.

My sister has 3 cats. She also has a LARGE mason jar with catnip in it, that she has had for MANY years. It is on the fireplace ledge where she sits to put on her outside shoes. Whenever she sits down there, the cats come running, hoping for catnip.Who knows how old it is?

Awesome. I read somewhere that Catnip will help keep the deer away. They are not supposed to like it. Anybody know if this is so?

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    wow, i tried to grow that inside & my cat devoured it! i was told squirrels enjoy it, too!
    "variety is the spice of life"

Power Poster
    Some at would love that...

Quote Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
    wow, i tried to grow that inside & my cat devoured it! i was told squirrels enjoy it, too!
    We haven't had any issues with the squirrels eating the catnip. They sure love the big pine cones that fall off our Ponderosa pines.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhaess View Post
    Some at would love that...
    Mj, check your PM inbox.

I have a close relative, catmint, and the neighborhood cats come and roll in it. It's quite tall if they'd let it stand up.