Bunions

Old 10-10-2011, 05:47 PM

I need to have bunions (both feet) removed. What can I expect. I don't know anyone who has bunions, guess I'm special. :thumbdown:
Old 10-10-2011, 05:52 PM

Good luck to you. My middle daughter also has bunions.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:59 PM

In 65 when I was 15 I had bunions removed on both feet. Back then I had walking cast on both. No problems. It was in the summer and did those casts stink when they took them off. Now I have one back.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca
I need to have bunions (both feet) removed. What can I expect. I don't know anyone who has bunions, guess I'm special. :thumbdown:
They're not going to do both at the same time, are they? You won't be able to walk. I need to have it done but have been putting it off. I know several people who have had it and they said there's pain in the beginning and it's a nuisance showering, etc. Walking is tough, but eventually all heals and they are fine. Be prepared for quite a few weeks of one of those soft casts. (I think that's what it is) I'm sure someone here has experienced this first hand and can give a better report. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:32 PM

I had mine done about 4 and 3 years ago. I did the left first and they were both done in the hospital day surgery by orthopedic surgeon. Pain was manageable with medication, and when they tell you to stay off of it for the first couple of days, they do it for a reason. Had to wear a boot for about a monthl, but both healed nicely and haven't come back. When I had the second one done, I was so confident I was up on it more than I should have the first day or two and paid for it. More bruising and pain. Have it done by an ortho. surgeon and take their advice and you won't regret. My feet used to hurt so much I would be almost in tears at the end of theday.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:29 PM

I had two bi=lateral bunionectomies in 1992 and the dr. said to have both done at the same time otherwise I would not be back for the second one. They had to break both my big toes and shave off the bones and I have steel pins in both feet. I went in as an outpatient, was there all day. Wore those funny looking orange boots home with crutches, basically had to sit on my butt to go up and down the stair, but 4 months later, i actually had heels on the first time in 10 years, and danced at my sons wedding. For years, I could not wear any kind of closed shoes or boots beccause the pain was so bad. I have never regretted the decision to have it done all at once. The first week is rough, and you look like you have pig feet, but recovery is pretty rapid. Good Luck
Old 10-10-2011, 07:38 PM

I had taylor bunion (baby toe side). Cut the joint and shorten my baby toe. Had a pin in foot for 3 weeks and wore a boot for 5 weeks. Cannot be on your feet more than 5 minutes every hour for five weeks. I could not get it wet for 5 weeks so had a shower boot. Not sure if this incident caused me to get a blod clot in July, but I did get a clot in my left leg and was in CCU. Very lucky to be here. My surgery was a success. Now dealing with other issues. Getting old is not "Golden". Good luck to you.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:02 PM

Dr. & I only talked briefly as I was there for another problem. We'll get that sorted first. I'm getting it done late spring. Going to Yuma for winter soon. A girls' gotta have priorities (sp). grin.
Right now I use one of those foam thingys used to separate toes to apply nail polish. I cut it to place between my big toe & next toe, forces toes apart. Been doing this for 10 minutes a day (while sitting at computer). It's only been a week & I can sure feel an improvement. Looks better as well, sure surprised me.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:08 PM

I had bunion surgery about 20 yrs ago on my left foot. At the time I did not have one on the right foot.......now I do. I love it that my left foot does not hurt anymore. It got so that it hurt just having the sheet resting on it in bed. I know everyone has a different pain threshhold level and I always believed I had a high one.....BUT that surgery was one of the most painful for me to recover from. That is why to this date I have not gone back to have the bunion on the right foot fixed. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

I forgot how painful my bunions were until I read this!!
Yes, they were- had surgery for them and hammertoes- my family has bad feet!!
My surgery went really well both times. My doctor didn't shave them- he broke the bone and realigned them- virtually no pain at all, even with the pins in my hammertoes.
Sore, yes, but not painful. And I'm a big baby!!!
Good luck :)