Burned Biscuits

Old 01-13-2011, 08:06 PM

A lovely story and one to take to heart. My DH is much like this Dad. Always tells me he loves my "well done" whatever. Eats the meal even he doesn't like it, just doesn't eat a large portion and I can always tell by that. After 35 years, we've become quite accustom to "well done" meals as I have a habit of putting things on to cook and leaving the room and forget about the things cooking. Oops!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 PM

What a wonderful memory - thanks for sharing.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:06 AM

Thank you Lady-T for this story. I emailed it to my husband - I rarely send him things like this - because of criticisms over the past 10 years that he blames me for and "caused" him to have an affair. I chose not to give up - some call it stupid, some say I should kick him to the door and beyond - I'm sticking it out in the hopes of maybe someday he will realize what an a** he was. He does nice things all the time - I just miss the words and hugs, etc.

I'm sorry for dumping my thoughts onto the board - but this story really got to me.

Thanks for listening - tears are long gone but the heartache remains every single day.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 01-14-2011, 08:30 AM

That was a really great story. You should write your memoires down for your children to cherish. I know I would love to hear more stories. I bet your dad did a lot of things like that to show you how to grow up to be a good person.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by goaf1968
Many decades ago - 1980 - I lost my first wife to a car accident. This left me with a 4-1/2 year old daughter to raise, plus complete and Air Force career. For the next 6-1/2 years I was "the man" to do everything for her, including cooking. Many a night I can remember coming home really tired and had to cook.

then I met this wonderful woman very close to the end of a 20-year Air Force career and we married. She could barely cook -- well maybe chili and lasagna -- but she still tried. I am the cook in the house and I am so very grateful that she is here now. After 24 years of marriage, she has become a wonderful cook. Every now and then she might burn something, or not have it come out as it is supposed to. I will never complain because I remember all those years how I wanted to have a mate to share in those things. She always apologizes for what she believes is a bad meal but I tell her that even her worst meal is a pleasure to me. She is in my life and I don't have to wish someone was there for me to share that meal. Oh yes, she took to my daughter like a duck takes to water, and about 3 years later she and I had a daughter together. The youngest is now 20, loves to cook and bake. The oldest is 34 -- microwave city! I am a happy man. God asked me to be very patient and the right woman would appear to me. I was, and she did.
What a beautiful story. So happy for all of you. Ain't love "the second time around" a wonderful thing. Maybe even better the 3rd time around, but loosing the 1st 2 spouses was a bummer. Enjoy life together, sometimes it is all too short.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:51 PM

I appreciate your sentiments. This was well said. I know my dad wasn't like that. But, he made up for his sharp edges with a lot of love. I know I am so much like him. I'll try to remember this when I get too sharp.

Thanks,
Cynthia
Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 AM

One of the things I miss about my late husband is: He always said "Thanks Mama, that was good" Even if it was ham & grilled cheese sandwiches. And by example my children thank me too. And they're grown.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:09 PM

If you don't mind, I would love to share this story with my 3 children and 2 step-children. They are all of an age that they are learning what relationships are all about....one married, one in a 2 year relationship, one in a brand new relationship, and two still looking.

Thankyou for sharing with us.

Patti
Old 02-25-2011, 09:46 AM

What a great story and how true it is. I have learned over the years that sometimes we do have to accept mistakes and overcome things but this make a relationship stronger. Nit picking is what causes a relationship to crumble over time.