buttonholer jinx

Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 AM

Default buttonholer jinx

Goodmorning all,
I am a newbie to quilting and this site - my problem: in 50+ yrs of sewing Ive never been able to get respectable buttonholes from any machine (my husband's pajamas have bound buttonholes - learned in college home-ec). I just purchased a Janome 6600, put a 1" button in the buttonholer - it started, got to the back of the buttonhole and started to go over and over one spot leaving a lovely knot which had to be removed by unscrewing the plate - ANYWAY I could call the dealer but asking for help on this site seemed to be more fun!!! and probably more informative. Regards.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

To be honest, I would take the machine and button and fabric to the dealer and show them what happens. It may be an adjustment that needs to be done, or perhaps the buttonhole foot is defective, or (heaven forbid!) user error. It's really hard to tell from a distance.

I know some machines are better at buttonholes than others. One of the reasons I prefer making quilts to garments is that most of my quilts don't require buttonholes!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by "respectable" buttonholes. Perhaps you are being too critical of your own work?
I agree, however, that if you're not getting acceptable button holes, the dealer might be the place to start for help.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:09 PM

Take another look at your directions. I have to go over them every time, as i dont use it often. I had similar problem, turns out i missed a step. There is a lever in back of presser foot that needs set. Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

Dontcha just hate that. I can never get a whole shirt done. Years ago( about 35) my mom had an old machine that made great holes. Since then...i can get five out of six but that last one is always a bugger.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:28 AM

I have given up on using the button hole attachment for my machine. I have to practice every time but I have started to make them with just using a close, tight zig zag stitch. Looks better than anything I got from the attachment! I really don't make too many things with buttonholes anymore!!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:24 PM

From what I understand, you have a faaaabulous quilter in the town where you live. She's sewn practically all her life and taught sewing classes at a local school where you live. She's just the nicest, sweetest, kindest, all around great gal, I bet she would love to come over and help figure out the buttonholer with you. You might need to thank her by taking her out to an expensive restaurant, or something like that. But I would think you'd want to pay for her next trip to the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival next spring. I hear she's going! What do you think about that idea???
Old 10-02-2012, 06:55 PM

My 45 year old Kenmore makes the best buttonholes ever! It also has a better overcast stitch than my newer expensive Pfaff. I keep it around for those reasons!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:20 PM

Buttonholes and I do not mix. Been there, done that, waiting on the buttonhole fairy to show up.