Buttonholers

Old 06-06-2013, 09:28 AM

Default Buttonholers

These are some buttonholers I found in a machine purchased recently.[ATTACH=CONFIG]417460[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]417461[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails extra-parts-001.jpg   extra-parts-002.jpg  
Old 06-06-2013, 11:55 AM

Interesting. I haven't made a buttonhole for at least 25 years. I probably won't start any time soon.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:07 PM

I love buttonholers. I don't have a collection but I do have one for every vintage machine I own. One does double duty on my computerized machine.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:35 PM

A few months ago I bought a Singer 201-2 that had been in one family since it was new in 1940. It included a buttonholer similar to the one in the middle of your top picture, but it has a black cover like your other one and the slotted guides on the side are also black. It's heavy and bulky. Later I found stuck behind a drawer a large swatch of fabric on which the original owner had tried the variety of buttonholes her attachment would make. It's nifty to see how advanced sewing technology has been for a long time, but also how primitive these old devices look. I can't even imagine what went into inventing something that would create buttonholes on a straight stitch machine! I wonder if anyone even knows who first came up with that. I am old enough to remember being taught how to make buttonholes by hand in our required sewing class in 8th grade, so can certainly appreciate what a time-saver this was. My computerized Singer can make a huge range of different kinds of buttonholes with one touch, and I will have to go way out of my way to find a reason to make any.