Buy or lease a vehicle

Old 02-27-2018, 09:09 PM

JENNR8R, I explain the "continue to make your car payment, but make it to yourself" as savings for your next car, but it flies over most people's head. Instead, most treat it like a "raise" and spend it. But there are those few who do get it - I can see it in their facial expression.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
If you customarily buy a new car every couple of years, then leasing might be worthwhile, especially if you keep your car in a garage and are very tidy and don't have kids with muddy feet eating fries and ketchup in the backseat. Otherwise, probably not. It might take some time with a calculator and a list of all the costs. We have never leased, because we don't drive much and tend to keep cars for 10 years. One of our sons, who has a well-paying job and a wife who is similarly successful, has leased one or two. They both have to commute into the city and they don't have time to deal with car problems. He went back to buying his current one, however. I haven't asked him why, but they do have a kid who once threw up in the car. I can guarantee that they do the math. Also, he is a lawyer who would definitely read the contract and understand the trade-offs. The car companies count on most people to not do that.
Sad that it just about takes a lawyer's knowledge of contracts to do even the most routine of things. Just goes with the advisement of buyer or in this case leaser beware!
Old 02-28-2018, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
JENNR8R, I explain the "continue to make your car payment, but make it to yourself" as savings for your next car, but it flies over most people's head. Instead, most treat it like a "raise" and spend it. But there are those few who do get it - I can see it in their facial expression.
I know exactly what you mean by "continue to make your car payment, but make it to yourself". That's exactly what I do. Once a car is paid off (and I try to do it early), I start making a monthly payment into the money market account specifically for the next vehicle we buy. My husband wanted to buy early the last time but I had a big down payment and managed to pay it off in a year. I'm hoping the next one will be a cash deal.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Just before I married my DH I had gotten a new compact car. I still had 2 years of payments but kept making payments to my savings account after I had finished paying the car off. When we needed another vehicle, we had the money to give a big down payment and minimize our monthly payments. After several car purchases, we were able to pay cash for the cars we got. To this date some 40 years later, this is still our way of purchasing a car. You can negotiate a good deal if you have real money to bring to the table plus your trade in. Same goes for purchasing a house. Money still talks and it talks loud!