Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Buying Glasses over the 'net >

Buying Glasses over the 'net

Buying Glasses over the 'net

Old 03-20-2018, 09:51 AM

Default Buying Glasses over the 'net

Anyone ever done this?

Because my prescription is so strong, and likely because I'm in Canada, to buy my lenses here will be $400.00, plus the frames.
I've looked at those on-line places and they are about 1/2 the price.
Has anyone had success buying online?
How did you know the frames were going to look OK?
Did you have trouble returning if they didn't work out?
Any particular companies you liked?

Thanks!

Watson
Old 03-20-2018, 10:28 AM

I have ordered many pairs of glasses from Zenni for my husband. As long as you have a prescription, you can order them:

https://www.zennioptical.com/

We are in the US, but it looks like you can order from outside the US. The FAQ says the list of countries they ship to can be found on the payment page. I take that as you have to enter everything and then find out if you can even order.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:13 PM

My lenses are quite complex, and I have varifocal lenses, but, I would never consider an online supply for them. I think it is perfectly fine if they are single focus uncomplicated lenses - but then there is the frame fitting too, and that can be trouble enough.
My recent lenses and frames cost £300; i was not happy with them - vision just not right, so after 2 weeks trying to get used to them unsuccessfully, I asked for a refund. Luckily my vision had not changed much in the last 2 years.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:19 PM

My DD bought glasses from zenni and has been happy with them. When I got new glasses last year I decided to try them, too. I ended up getting two pair, one reg and one sunglasses. I am pleased with both. I had some concerns since I have bifocals but they are fine
Old 03-20-2018, 08:12 PM

I haven't but my daughter has several times--she told me that you put a picture of yourself onto your computer and the vendor sites allow you to "try on" frames. While her Rx is not complex, she does have an astigmatizum and needs a stronger lens.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:34 PM

My last pair of glasses from the optical shop were $600. On the advice of my daughter I tried Zenni. I didn't measure myself correctly and had to return the first pair. Very happy with the replacement and ordered sunglasses and a spare. Total cost for all three was less than the optical shop.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:39 AM

Personally, I would be really scared to buy glasses on the net. How do you know how the frame you pick are going to fit? If you need bifocals, those need to be measured so the bifocals are in the right spot. You can't do that over the net.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:50 AM

I have not but my SIL uses Zenni with great success for the entire family (her, bro, niece).

Zenni gives you specific instructions on how to measure your pupil distance which is the measurement needed to make sure your prescription is filled correctly regardless of single or multi-vision lenses.

I have found, locally, if you are having your eyes examined by an optician or opthomologist that also sells glasses, they generally will not put the pupil distance info on your prescription as they know that is the key piece of info needed to purchase elsewhere. But, as mentioned, Zenni - at least - provides very precise info on how to do this yourself.
[h=1][/h]
Old 03-21-2018, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Anyone ever done this?

Because my prescription is so strong, and likely because I'm in Canada, to buy my lenses here will be $400.00, plus the frames.
I've looked at those on-line places and they are about 1/2 the price.
Has anyone had success buying online?
How did you know the frames were going to look OK?
Did you have trouble returning if they didn't work out?
Any particular companies you liked?

Thanks!

Watson
I have bought my glasses at Zehrs when they have their 50% off sale. They have the sale twice a year. They just had one so another should be coming up. 2 years warranty and as many adjustments as needed. I’m satisfied with them.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:19 AM

I have been using Zenni for over 10 years and have always been happy. I wear progressives and haven't had any trouble although my prescription isn't complex. As far as fit goes, you upload a picture of yourself so you can try on the frames and the pupil distance numbers make sure the lenses are centered correctly. It lets you sort out the frames that don't accommodate bifocals or progressives. The only trouble I ever had, which was my mistake, was to order the plastic frames that don't have adjustable nose pieces. I had forgotten how those things slide. If the frames are wonky on my face when I get them, I take them to my eye doctor's and have them adjusted at no charge. They make me sign a waiver that they are not responsible if they break them. That did happen once and I went home and contacted Zenni. They sent me a new frame immediately with instructions on how to switch the lenses. No problem. I love Zenni because of the progressives, I couldn't get a pair at the local eye doctor for less than $500. I spend about $150 at Zenni.