C-PAP anyone?

Old 09-24-2011, 03:09 PM

Does anyone have a C-PAP machine?

Last night was my first night on one and it was challenging to say the least. I didn't have any trouble at the sleep lab, but at home, the hose rubbed against the board at the side of the bed and made a zipping sound and I managed to knock the whole unit off of the night stand at about 2 in the morning. I gave up after that and will give it another go tonight.

Any advice from anyone who has worked this all out would be appreciated :)
Old 09-24-2011, 03:15 PM

It does take a bit of getting used to-hubby is on one for severe sleep apnea. Keep trying to build up your endurance on it it is soo important to your all around health. When you have sleep apnea your body doesn't get into the restorative cycle of sleep because your brain is constantly telling your body to wake up and BREATHE. Please try very hard to adapt because it really is a matter of life and death.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:19 PM

Have had it for 6 yrs, took me 3 mos. to get over the fear of being smothered. Amazon has a hose holder that slips under mattress and keeps hose suspended. Has mixed customer reviews. Mine sits on a small stool beside the bed so it's not at table level. I just let the hose lay over me. It does take some getting used to. good luck. also use the search function above, ther was a discussion not too long ago.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by rainbow quilter
Does anyone have a C-PAP machine?

Last night was my first night on one and it was challenging to say the least. I didn't have any trouble at the sleep lab, but at home, the hose rubbed against the board at the side of the bed and made a zipping sound and I managed to knock the whole unit off of the night stand at about 2 in the morning. I gave up after that and will give it another go tonight.

Any advice from anyone who has worked this all out would be appreciated :)
I have been on a C-PAP machine since July. I ended up getting a night stand that has a low shelf on it and keep the machine there. They make a "sleeve" that goes on the tube to keep down condensation in the winter, but it helps all year with the zipping noise when it rubs against the bed. The sleeve is really just a thin fleece tube that attaches at each end with velcro. Wouldn't be hard to make. You could even just tie it at each end instead of velcro.
Don't hesitate also to call the company that is providing your C_PAP equipment - they want you to be able to use the machine, so they may have other suggestions for you. Mine has been very helpful.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:27 PM

Hubby just started using one about 2 months ago, they do take some getting used to. He had to adjust the heat and the moisture, the settings they set it on were way to cool and dry. After he got those 2 adjusted it has gone a little better. He still knocks the facemask? off at night sometimes.
I will say we can really tell the difference when he uses it and when he doesnt. He's not sleepy during the day and feels alot better.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:33 PM

My husband uses one, and I made him a fleece cover for his hose so it won't make the noise. Maybe you can try that, he also uses ear plugs so the sound that the machine makes doesn't keep him awake.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:35 PM

Hubby has been on one for almost two years. He does very well when it is working right. I can tell so much difference in him now that he's on it. He was waking so often during the night and was always tired. Please stick with it. Your health depends on it.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

I have had mine for several years. You will get used to it. I am one of the odd people who had no problems getting used to it. I think the reason I didn't have any problems using it was because it was such a relief to have oxygon when I sleep. I have critical spnea and my oxygon levels go all the way down to the 50's without my machine.
When I was sleeping in a hospital bed I had to place it on the floor to keep from knocking it off of the nightstand. I had to replace the machine once because it fell and the water ruined the unit. Thank goodness they didn't make me pay for the replacement.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:50 PM

I've had one for 6 yrs ---

Make a tube for the tubing out of fleece. Cover it, and either tape it on or use some velcro to make it stay put. That keeps it from making noise on my headboard.

Set the unit on the floor --- BEST place for it! :) If you don't want it directly on the floor then set a couple of hardback books on the floor and set it on that. i have a humidifier in mine. If it sits on the bedside table I will drown...the moisture builds up and comes back on me.

I also have a "water pillow" that I got from a physical therapist. You can get it on amazon (at least the last time I checked you could). It actually allows the headpiece to squish down in and doesn't make for problems for me like a hard pillow does. Also, I sleep on my stomach with the CPAP!!!

Check out www.cpaptalk.com
Old 09-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

I use a regular pillow, because I can't stand it if the air hits the pillow and makes a funny noise.