Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Calling out to all Montana folks >

Calling out to all Montana folks

Calling out to all Montana folks

Old 01-29-2014, 05:50 AM

Default Calling out to all Montana folks

Good morning to everyone, just wanted to know if anyone could give me a update on the weather system that is expected to hit Montana today. Or maybe some of you are experiencing it already. Reason I'm asking is, is that we are heading that way possibly today coming from the Canadian border via Coutts crossing into Montana via I-15 and heading for Great Falls. Probably spend the night there, then onto Pocetello, then to St. George Utah. If the weather is bad today, we will stay on the Canadian side for the night and then onto Great Falls tomorrow. Our final destination will be Lake Havasu. Thanks for any information.

Quilty Hugs
Brenda
Old 01-29-2014, 08:33 AM

Just asked my husband --he is the weather watcher -- he hasn't heard of any issues in that area. Thought they had a lot of snow.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

My dh thinks that this gives the most reliable weather forecasts: http://www.weather.gov/ if that's of any help to you.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:27 AM

Thanks, keep the updates coming. I'm such a worry wort when it comes to traveling
Old 01-29-2014, 06:26 PM

First of all, I don't know what's going on in MT re: weather-wise at this time. I did chuckle a little to myself when I read your post: you're coming into the states and will go directly by my Mom's old family farm in Sunburst, MT. Then on your way to Gt. Falls, you will bypass Shelby, which is where I grew up. Small world, Huh? The weather CAN be brutal at this time of year in that area, but I think it hasn't been too bad this year. I would be prepared for rough weather and at least pack a shovel and some cat litter, as well as some extra quilts (but living in Canada, you probably already do that). My Dad used to carry canned heat (?Sterno?) with him in the winter...
Have fun!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:34 AM

First I'd like to thank you for the info...We did put off our travel for a day but are leaving today...Not sure if that is wise as it looks to me that the same weather situation still exists....I'm a nervous passenger to say the least and with hauling a trailer I'm not looking forward to this drive at all...So if anyone has anymore updates for that area, it is greatly appreciated. Not sure how good they are at maintaining roads during winter weather...so gonna take our chances...ok he wants to take the chance....
Old 01-30-2014, 05:47 AM

Here in Michigan, we always refer to the state highway's road condition report when traveling. This is a link for the Montana road condition map. Hope this helps.

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/map/mtmap_frame.html
Old 01-30-2014, 06:41 AM

Good morning.....am here in Helena and it is 14 degrees and looks quite pretty this morning...looks like we had about 1/8 " snow durning the night....we are heading over to Butte this morning and am sure it will be just fine. the roads have been clear so down here. have a good trip.....
Old 01-30-2014, 06:47 AM
CRO

I am just north of Idaho Falls. We had a big storm yesterday and the roads are horrible right now, but south of Pocatello they get better, Just be very careful going over Malad Pass.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:35 AM

Great Falls, lovely little town. Lived there back in the early 70's but boy was it cold in the winter time. We moved up there in September and on the 14th we had our first snow fall. No additional snow until Dec 25 which kept coming down for 3 weeks breaking power lines, tree limbs, etc. There's a beautiful road trip from Great Falls down to Helena and then over to Missoula that is just breath taking. If you have time you might want to take it as it will take you westward. Just a thought.