Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
cameras at stop lights...is Big Brother watching you >

cameras at stop lights...is Big Brother watching you

cameras at stop lights...is Big Brother watching you

Old 05-17-2011, 02:42 PM

We have them here at most major intersections in town & the fine is over $400 for the ticket! I must say, it really has helped with people running the red right as the light changes to your turn. Used to be 3 or more cars would run the light when it changed. Ours are supposed to ticket you only if you enter the intersection after the light has changed to red, not if it changes & you are not all the way through yet.

I have recently learned that some places around here have stop sign cameras. My friend's son got a ticket for running a stop sign in the middle night at a deserted intersection- never had heard of that before. I'll bet he stops now!
Old 05-17-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie
just courious, how many of you and what state are you in that have cameras at the stop lights. Here on Long Island, NY we have them at the main roads, if even the front of your car goes over the line, the photo is taken and you're sent a ticket.
i guess it frees the cops up for bigger things, but still, if only the front crosses the line, the photo light goes off and you're billed, (and i heard it's impossible to fight).
In Spokane, Washington they have approximately 7 "redlight cameras" at intersections to take pictures when someone runs the red light. They make about $100,000 on EACH light a year in fines. They are going to put more up because they said they need the money! :thumbdown:
Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 PM

We have some in El Paso and at those intersections the number of accidents have really decreased. less running red lights.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:26 AM

We have them in the Toledo Ohio area they are at most corners and they are expensive tickets and there is no fighting them My husband had not been able to drive his last 5 months and I couldn't get up into the van even before my surgeries -when Tom was in the hospital his brother used our van w/o our knowledge after my husband passed I got a pic-tic for $190 I was told pay it or the van would be towed and I could have a bench warrant put out for my arrest They did not care about anything but the money This is why I can't wait to get the H**L out of ohio-guess where the pic-tic came from- ElPaso Tx ? and thats where I had to send the $ for a speeding tic 3blocks from my house in Perrysburg Ohio-still can't figure that one out
Old 05-18-2011, 12:35 AM

In Tucson we have several of these red-light cameras. I got caught at one. I could pay the fine or I could take a class. Turns out the class cost as much as the fine. But they are saying more people are aware of them and are more cautious at those intersections.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:56 AM

I wish they had them here in Ga. I can't tell you how many drive right through a red light. I've seen numerous accidents. My granddaughter and I saw a logging truck run a red light and broadside a county police car. The car was totaled. I ran to the officer while calling 911. The officer had to be taken to the hospital but luckily was o.k. I've even seen people make a left hand turn from the right lane, cross in front of someone in the left turn lane waiting for the light to change to make their turn.

That sort of thing happens all the time. If the camera is going to stop this kind of driving and prevent accidents from happening and save a life, maybe a child's life, then I'm all for them.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:43 AM

We have them here in Virginia Beach, VA
Old 05-18-2011, 04:21 AM

We have heavy traffic in metro DC/VA/MD and traffic cameras are a fact of life. I'm not sure they do much in accident prevention, but they sure do generate revenue!! My husband is an old car nut (I'm sorry, did I say "nut"? Enthusiast is more respectful!!) He was able to successfully grieve a camera-generated ticket (and relished doing so!) One secret to a successful marriage: I don't ask what he spends on car parts and he doesn't ask what I spend on fabric!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
We have them. I'm not too concerned about them. I don't know...it is kind of like radar detectors. Who needs a radar detector if you are going to drive the speed limit? Or do you need it because you want to speed & know where the cops are so you can slow down? (Like my husband) Same with the cameras. If you don't run lights then nothing to worry about. Speeding & running lights are against the law. Guess it is all about each persons perspective on right & wrong.
I totally agree. If your not doing anything wrong what are you worried about. This made me think about cameras in the work place. We have cameras in our classrooms for several years (work in a correctional facility). A few of my colleagues had/are having fits about it. The way I look at it is the cameras are there for our safety and if we are doing what we are supposed to be doing we shouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

We only have a stop sign in our little town....no camera there, although the chief of police does sleep there with his car facing the corner almost every day! LOL! I guess thats not really the same though now is it??