Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
can someone tell me the name of this book >

can someone tell me the name of this book

can someone tell me the name of this book

Old 07-03-2011, 11:50 AM

It is the Boxcar Children series----I can't believe that you had the same experiance I had---My 3rd grade teacher did the same thing (back in the 50's in MS)----I ordered these same books on Amazon for my grandson. He loved the stories that I use to tell abt the children and now he has these same books to share with his children one day---
Old 07-03-2011, 01:40 PM

The BoxCar Children
Old 07-03-2011, 06:13 PM

THE BOXCAR CHILDREN MYSTERIES are sixty years old this year and they are celebrating with a brand new 60th Anniversary edition.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:50 PM

These were the first books that I learned to love reading with. At the beginning of my second year in 2nd grade I could hardly get through a DR. Suess. By the end of the year I was mad at the librarian because she wouldn't let me check out the third book. She said that it was a 3rd grade book. Three months later (after summer break) she let me check it out. What was the difference?
Old 07-03-2011, 06:52 PM

I remember my third grade teacher reading aloud to us. The Borrowers and Hitty, Her First Hundred years
Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 PM

I loved the Box car children books. Especially the 1st one when they moved into a box car then scavenged all they needed.
The Bobsey Twins was another series about a family with 2 sets of twins.
The other book was "Five Little Peppers and How They Grew", a book that made me cry. A very poor family, widow(I think) and 5 children living in poverty, but with much grace. One part I remember was, they were given a Christmas basket. Instead of having it all at once, the mother carefully divided it so some could be shared with others in her neighborhood who were equally destitute, and then put some aside for another meal another day.
I think these all came out about te same time, at least I read them about the same time.
I thought the Hardy Boys were cooler than Nancy Drew, and I think the older stories (in the fifties?) MUCH better than the later ones('80's?)
Old 07-03-2011, 09:07 PM

These were my favorite when I was a kid. When my two daughters were about 5 & 8 (now 13 and 17) we read a few chapters of The Boxcar Children each evening. One day, I walked into the bathroom to find them and their two cousins sitting in the bathtub. When I asked them what they were doing, they looked at me like I was crazy. "We're the Boxcar Children". DUH!!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hosta
when I was in third grade many many moons ago the teacher would read us a chapter every week it was about a family of children who lived in a railroad car and their adventures but I wish I knew the name of it. Thanks
Yepper!!!!! They were The Boxcar Children!!!! I had the entire series and recently gave them all to my two nieces and nephew!! They had a house fire back in February and lost absolutely EVERYTHING -- including their beloved books! The kids were so excited to get these -- even more so when I told them I used to read them (not these particular copies) when I was a child! I was absolutely hooked on The Boxcar Children!! :D :D
Old 07-04-2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I read the Boxcar Children, and the Bobbsey Twins at about the same time... I hadn't thought about the Boxcar Children in years :D
We talked here a while ago about the Bobbsey Twins and some other older favorites... however did we miss this one? :D:D:D
Wow... I remember that book.... I absolutely fell in love with those books. I think I read them over and over when I was younger and then I read them to my boys when they were little!
Old 07-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

OOOOOO Wouldn't a quilt of the Boxcar be soooo cute!!!!