Can Towels Be Dyed?

Old 05-14-2018, 06:13 AM

Default Can Towels Be Dyed?

I recently remodeled my bathroom. I decided that it needed a bit of color so I was going to switch from cream-colored towels to rust colored. I've shopped and shopped, and apparently, rust is not fashionable these days.

Is it possible to dye my cream-colored towels successfully? I'd want to end up with a towel that the color does not fade, is color-fast in the washing machine, and the color doesn't rub off on my skin with use.

I don't know what kind of dye to use. I don't think Rit Dye from the grocery store would provide a satisfactory outcome. Does anyone have any suggestions from your experience with dyes?
Old 05-14-2018, 06:52 AM

Dharmatrading.com. If your towels are cotton, you want Fiber-Reactive Dyes. The color actually becomes part of the cotton fibers, rather than sitting on top of them like Rit. I have t-shirts that are 8 years old, worn and washed regularly, and while *I* can tell that they've faded a bit, no one else can. Still bright and new looking.

If you find that you can't make a decision on which dye you want, contact them. They have always been extremely helpful.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Cream looks nice with rust, I might add some rust coloured trim to the towels for now.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:36 PM

I second the suggestion of Dharma Trading. There is lots of information on their website on how to dye. You will need to prepare the towels for dyeing for the best success.

You would not be happy with the results of Rit Dye. They fade when exposed to sunlight, are not colorfast and with dark colors you need to use double the amount of dye to produce deep shades.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:05 PM

I just tried "rust colored bath towels" on Google got a bunch of results.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:39 PM

My youngest wanted fuchsia towels, not in vogue right now, so she used a fiber-reactive dye from the website below. They haven't faded so far and is the precise desired color. Hope this helps.
hugs,
dj

https://www.dharmatrading.com/dyes/dharma-fiber-reactive-procion-dyes.html

Old 05-14-2018, 06:41 PM

Oh, audition the color on a white wash cloth to determine the exact color you desire.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:44 PM

I decided that dying the towels would require learning a new skill that I have no interest... with no guarantee that I would end up with the color that I wanted.

Tartan suggested putting some trim on the towels and that gave me the idea of cutting off the existing borders and replace them with a border using some fabric from my stash. I have no idea how this will hold up, but I have more of the same towels that haven't been changed so... win... win...

Thanks for brainstorming with me!
Attached Thumbnails towel.jpg   towels.jpg