Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can warped Tupperware lids be fixed?

Can warped Tupperware lids be fixed?

One of my favorite Tupperware canister lids warped even in the top rack of the dishwasher. I'm wondering if it can be "reheated" such as in the sun with a heavy weight on it. Do any of you have a success story to share? Many thanks!

I've never been able to get anything to work.

Blog Entries
    tupperware is guaranteed forever... contact a tupperware dealer for a replacement. my 3rd generation shapes ball broke it's string so i threw it away. at my next T party, the dealer said i should have contacted her for a replacement
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Since they might not be good anymore, why not put the lid in the microwave with a little water so that it will soften, and then put the lid back on the container while it is still warm. Don't put the container in, since it is ok. Wait until the lid has cooled and see if it remolded. Or you could put it in a sink of really hot water for a while, until it softens. Since hot water or steam warped it in the first place, maybe the same will reform it if it is put back on the canister while it is soft. Duct tape it to the container to hold it in place?

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    I've never been able to get anything to work.
    Neither have I. I would contact Tupperware and buy a replacement lid.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
    Since they might not be good anymore, why not put the lid in the microwave with a little water so that it will soften, and then put the lid back on the container while it is still warm. Don't put the container in, since it is ok. Wait until the lid has cooled and see if it remolded. Or you could put it in a sink of really hot water for a while, until it softens. Since hot water or steam warped it in the first place, maybe the same will reform it if it is put back on the canister while it is soft. Duct tape it to the container to hold it in place?
    I've softened the lid in the microwave and then put it back on the container immediately. Usually that works. Sorry, I don't remember how long in the microwave, but not long.

gramajo, I did as you said and the canister with warped lid is now cooling with a heavy cast iron Dutch oven and lid atop. Will leave overnight. May have to do one more time, but fingers crossed. Thx so much!

Blog Entries
    guaranteed for life! wish i'd known that long ago. all gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    tupperware is guaranteed forever... contact a tupperware dealer for a replacement. my 3rd generation shapes ball broke it's string so i threw it away. at my next T party, the dealer said i should have contacted her for a replacement
    Guaranteed forever, with exceptions. I have never had a warped lid replaced for free.

I contacted Tupperware to get a "free" cracked lid replaced. You need the number of the container and the lid so they can match it up. I did get 2 replacement lids but they are not the same color as the container because they discontinued some colors. The lid is "free" but the shipping and handling are not. It cost me a lot to get my "free" lids.

Sob!Sob! Sob! Years ago Tupperware made ideal cereal containers which had flat tops on them which enabled them to be stacked in a cabinet. Some of mine are no longer useful, so I wrote the company and talked to a rep, but they no longer make them, even with multiple requests from other customers. Sometimes when things work so well, why must the manufacturers change them? That old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" must not appeal to younger folks.

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
    gramajo, I did as you said and the canister with warped lid is now cooling with a heavy cast iron Dutch oven and lid atop. Will leave overnight. May have to do one more time, but fingers crossed. Thx so much!
    I just left lid on the container until it cooled. I did not put any weight on it.

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
    One of my favorite Tupperware canister lids warped even in the top rack of the dishwasher. I'm wondering if it can be "reheated" such as in the sun with a heavy weight on it. Do any of you have a success story to share? Many thanks!
    Almost anything Tupperware can be replaced......just call the company or representative and tell her you need.....

Blog Entries
    I know that here in Australia if you contact Tupperware they will replace your warped lids free of charge. If you contact Tupperware I am sure they will help you.
    Aussie Carol

A great many of their things are now "obsolete". If it needs replacing, you will get credit for the item. As in my sugar bowl and seal, which cost $.79 in 1951. That's when Tupperware started. They still give you credit if it is cracked, broken, chipped or peeling.

But a warped seal (yes, they are called seals, not lids) may or may not be replaceable. Depends on your distributorship.

Sometimes the old stuff comes back for special promotions or seasonal. Like the fix 'n' mix bowl. It's been for sale every once in a while. While it is for sale is the time to get it or its seal replaced.
    Last edited by maviskw; 10-14-2015 at 11:22 AM.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Tupperware will replace it for free -- just go to their site.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    Years ago, if the elastic broke in the Shape-O ball, you would get a new elastic and you could replace it yourself. Now if you turn in a Shape-O ball, you get a whole new ball. And you used to be able to buy just the shapes that were lost. Now you have to buy a whole new set of 10 shapes.

I took someone's Shape-O ball and put a very strong rubber band into it. Works well.

I also had a Tupperware container that had lost its seal. The company no longer made that particular one. I found a replacement for it on Ebay and later found a second one at my local thrift store. The ladies said they sell a lot of seals for Tupperware and are always glad to get them in. I bought the one I found there to have a back-up since I have two of the containers.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I used to be a Tupperware agent. I still have a few and I have the cereal containers. I wash mine often but never in the dishwasher no matter what. Whatever piece you have seal or container on the bottom should be a number. The pieces may be free but yes you have to pay for shipping. I just had a seal replaced the other day. I also do not put them in the microwave. I have gotten to where I only use paper plates (not foam) or corning ware or regular cereal bowls or cups in the microwave. Nothing plastic or foam. Those seam in bags of frozen veggies get emptied and put into a regular cooking micro wave safe cookware.

If this is one of your favorite pieces, and they don't make it anymore, I suggest you put the lid on it, and set it out in the sun. Sometimes, the heat of the sun "warps it back".

Good luck and let us know if it works.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    I used to be a Tupperware agent. I still have a few and I have the cereal containers. I wash mine often but never in the dishwasher no matter what. Whatever piece you have seal or container on the bottom should be a number. The pieces may be free but yes you have to pay for shipping. I just had a seal replaced the other day. I also do not put them in the microwave. I have gotten to where I only use paper plates (not foam) or corning ware or regular cereal bowls or cups in the microwave. Nothing plastic or foam. Those seam in bags of frozen veggies get emptied and put into a regular cooking micro wave safe cookware.
    Tupperware became "dishwasher safe" sometime early in the 1980's. The seals before that have a really smooth surface; after that, the seals had a little bit of texture on the surface. That's how you can tell the difference. The smooth ones should not go into the dishwasher. They will warp.

The only Tupperware I put into the microwave are the ones made for the microwave: the ones with the vent in the seal. I use them all the time in the microwave. They are my go-to for leftovers.

they are lifetime warranties, even if you have had it "forever", get in contact with a dealer and get a replacement- if they no longer make the piece they will replace it with another that is close to the original. SEW.........keep it and the base piece until they help you, because they will want both pieces returned

Blog Entries
    I have never put Tupperware or Rubbermaid or Sterlite in the dishwasher. Hand wash it all so I don't have personal experience with warping. My question is this: since no one claims to have taken off with my large white round bottom for my Tupperware storage container at a family picnic a few years ago, would Tupperware replace that to go with the top I still do have. Haha.
    Good luck, I do remember being told at parties years ago that lids could be replaced free of charge if warping or damage occurred.

The last time I tried to get an old Tupperware lid replaced, it was just a lesson in frustration. The dealer kept insisting that I had microwaved it. She wouldn't listen to a thing I tried to say, the lid was 50 years old, belonged to my Mother.
    I have no more Tupperware.
    Sharon in Texas