Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Car Air Conditioner...please read >

Car Air Conditioner...please read

Car Air Conditioner...please read

Old 06-06-2011, 10:13 AM

CAR AIR-CONDITIONING - VERY IMPORTANT!

My car book says to roll down the windows to let out all the hot air before turning on A/C.

WHY? Car Air-conditioning - No wonder more folks are dying from cancer than ever before. We wonder where this stuff comes from but here is an
example that explains a lot of the cancer causing incidents.

Many people are in their cars first thing in the morning and the last thing at night, 7 days a week.

Car A/C (Air Conditioning) MUST READ!!!

Please do NOT turn on A/C as soon as you enter the car.

Open the windows after you enter your car and then turn ON the AC after a couple of minutes.

Here's why: According to research, the car dashboard, seats and air freshener emit Benzene, a Cancer causing toxin (carcinogen - take time to observe the smell of heated plastic in your car).

In addition to causing cancer, Benzene poisons your bones, causes anemia and reduces white blood cells.. Prolonged exposure will cause Leukemia, increasing the risk of cancer. Can also cause miscarriage.

Acceptable Benzene level indoors is 50 mg per sq. ft.
A car parked indoors with windows closed will contain 400-800 mg of Benzene.

If parked outdoors under the sun at a temperature above 60 degrees F, the Benzene level goes up to 2000-4000 mg, 40 times the acceptable level.

People who get into the car, keeping windows
closed will inevitably inhale, in quick succession, excessive amounts of the toxin.
Benzene is a toxin that affects your kidney and liver... What's worse, it is extremely difficult for your body to expel this toxic stuff.

So friends, please open the windows and door of your car - give time for interior to air out -dispel the deadly stuff - before you enter.

Thought: 'When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.'

This is what snopes.com says. It is not the air conditioning in the car but the Benzene producing agents that cause cancer. http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/benzene.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 AM

Good to know-thanks, Ditter!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:28 AM

While benzene is a carcinogen and cars have some, there are some inaccuracies in this article as it has been going around the Internet. The Snopes article is worth a read: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/benzene.asp

Thanks for posting it, Ditter. The advice to vent the car after it's been sitting is definitely worth following, but the cancer risk is exaggerated and related more to fuel than interiors.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:34 AM

Ditto Ditter thanks for that bit of info
Old 06-06-2011, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the info. That is what I have been doing all along. I open the windows as I start driving and blow all the hot air out before I turn on the AC
Old 06-06-2011, 10:56 AM

I am hoping one of these days to use my A/C! Can you believe it has been in the 50's and rainy, when the normal is closer to the 90's...oh well....the rainy stuff is supposed to clear out tomorrow, and more seasonal weather come.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:22 AM

This is good to know If we ever get the A/C fixed. Right now we have the 4-60 working okay. You roll down all 4 windows and drive 60. :D
Old 06-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for the information, I always air my car out before turning on the air conditioner and sometime I drive with a window cracked
Old 06-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose_P
While benzene is a carcinogen and cars have some, there are some inaccuracies in this article as it has been going around the Internet. The Snopes article is worth a read: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/benzene.asp

Thanks for posting it, Ditter. The advice to vent the car after it's been sitting is definitely worth following, but the cancer risk is exaggerated and related more to fuel than interiors.
Ditto to RoseP .... one needs to read to the end of the Snopes link to learn the inaccuracies, and have the clear picture.