cats that eat thread

Old 07-25-2011, 02:51 PM

My sympathy on the loss of your beautiful cat. I have 7 cats and when I am not in my sewing room, I have purchased a huge vinyl tarp that I wrap completely around my sewing table, sewing machine and fold it under so my cats cannot get into anything. I don't want to take any chances that they will get into something they shouldn;'t and i have a lot of little cat toys in my sewing area to keep them busy while I am in there. My thoughts are with you on the loss of your cat.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:57 PM

So sorry to hear about you cat, but thank-you so much for the info...guess I'll have to vacuum more often.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:05 PM

I am so sorry about your loss and your hurting heart. My sweet little JazzminElla ate some thread. We didn't know what was going on. The vet was very aggressive and did an ultrasound after the xray didn't show anything. When he saw the sonogram, he did surgery immediately. It was a long recovery time since he had to untagle the thread from her stomach and intestines. And then 9 months later she did it again.! Now I sew with a lidded container by my side and all threads go into it as soon as they are cut. I always vacuum after a sewing session. Once again, I am so very sorry. My heart hurts for your heart.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:19 PM

I am so sorry for your lost! But thanks for the information. I am not one that throws thread and scraps on the floor while I am sewing but I have a couple of friends who do. I hope they see this message!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:29 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss. This happened to a friends cat many years ago -- I had no idea it was a problem back then but ever since I have kept the cats away from anything sewing related.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:41 PM

Yes,anybody with cats or any pets should not have them around your sewing items.Always snip off threads and put on a piece of tape,then throw it away.Always keep your sewing area clean and vacumed.Many many cats and kittens have died due to threads getting tangled in their stomachs.I am sorry for your loss,but am sure many will read this and head the warning.So,thanks for your post,and I know you just saved many other cat owners from the same fate.I have cats myself,and am really carefull about things.Even my hubby's pills,I have to make sure he don't drop any,or they'll be over to check it out.Their just snoopy by nature you know.I have lost some in the past too,and know how it hurts.I still miss them,even after all this time.Their gone but never forgotten.I love them all.My heart goes out to you.Sometimes,it just can't be helped,and there isn't any thing we can do.But life does go on.And for me,I have the others to care for too.So I do wish you the best,and again,thanks so much for posting to alert others of this terrible thing that for most,we think it cute they play with it.It's dangerous,I give mine a rope with a toy tied on the end and hang it from a door or tape it to my table hanging off.That way,they can;t swallow anything.Good luck.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by drgranny
I have a cat that eats paper. She loves to get into the toilet paper. I tried all sorts of things to keep the TP away from her but finally had to put it in a container with a snap lid that she can't remove. All of the tissue boxes have to be turned upsidedown with no tissue showing, had to raise the paper towel holder so she can't reach it. One time she sat for days and purred and switched her tail and didn't eat. I checked the cat box and she hadn't used it so we took her to the vet. They gave her an enama and told us to hurry and take her home. So the watch continued till she passed a big paper wad. We have to be ever vigilant. She doesn't eat any other kind of paper. She is not allowed in the sewing room.
My cats are the same.They use to play with all that you named,but no more since they've gotten big.Plus I made them a huge 10ft by 30 ft inclosed play area outside from off the back door.Now they lounge out there and play.Little stinkers are always into something when your not looking especially.Just like a bunch of kids!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:51 AM

So sorry for your loss. There are many dangers we have to protect them from, not the least of which is themselves.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:19 AM

So sorry to hear about your cat :-( I try to get up everything I can re: threads. I have know idea why a 10 yr plus cat wants to eat everything.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:23 AM

so sorry for your loss. My cat Zoe had surgery for this, while the other cat Waldo ate hair elastics that led to his need for surgery.