Cdomputer speed -

Old 06-02-2020, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Default Cdomputer speed -

It seems like my computer is loading very slowly nowadays -

I have cleaned out my histories, etc.

Anyone else's computer running slower than it used to?
Old 06-02-2020, 08:17 AM

How are you on virus scanners? Do you use them and are they current and active or on at least a weekly schedule?

In my neighborhood we are certainly having demand issues due to Covid and everyone being home and so many people working from home or otherwise heavier than normal load. Always had a period around 4-7 pm when people got home where I could tell the difference from my normal morning usage. As a gamer, I am watching my computer and connectivity performance. Browsing at home doesn't usually impact me too much -- except trying to get into my Comcast email and I blame that purely on them.

Have you checked to see what processes are running in the background? You can bring up Task Manager in Windows applications.

A lot of programs now have what I consider intrusive operations and don't necessarily close off your system just by hitting the X button which is the convention. With my gaming software, Twitch which is now owned by Amazon wishes to "stay resident" as we said in the old days. I've said before that I'm getting to the tinfoil conspiracy level theorist about my beliefs of privacy and the internet which has been now developed by commercial enterprises solely as a means to get through that privacy and try to sell me things that I have no wish nor desire nor need to buy....
Old 06-02-2020, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

Does the fan run even when you are not using it? It could need cleaning by a tech or it could be hijacked by a virus that uses it to mine bitcoins? Sorry, I don’t know how they use it to mine, I just read a story on the news that it’s a new thing going on.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

What Windows version are you running? If still on Win7, it *will* start running slowly.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:15 AM

I find rebooting my PC once a day, usually at night once I'm done for the day using it seems to help. Don't know what it does by doing this other than maybe closing out hidden programs running in the background but that's what I do.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
What Windows version are you running? If still on Win7, it *will* start running slowly.
Mac - HIgh Sierra
Old 06-03-2020, 03:15 PM

Add more memory, very easy to do. Find out what memory sticks you have and if you can add anymore, buy the same type and add to your computer. I run 16 gigs of memory on my pc, and 8 gigs om my laptop.

Defrag your computer, run a disc cleanup. Clean out the cookies cache.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
It seems like my computer is loading very slowly nowadays -

I have cleaned out my histories, etc.

Anyone else's computer running slower than it used to?
Are you saying the internet is slower, or it is taking longer to load software such as MS Office?

If you are talking about internet browsing, your internet provider may be have service delays due to overloading the infrastructure.

I have fiber-optic service and do not get lags, but at the cottage we have terrible service. Ours is the last house on the line and we get whatever is left after the neighbours have has their access.