Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Chain letter e-mail

  1. #1
    Member coralee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Jefferson City, missouri
    Posts
    72
    Does anyone else have a special someone in their lives who believes you MUST pass on irritating chain letter e-mails (you know the ones that say "if you want good luck pass this on to 12 friends)....what is the proper way to let them know to cut it out, they are very annoying...I am actucally recieving them as texts now too....AHHHHHH :thumbdown:

  2. #2
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    15,937
    Blog Entries
    2
    I just started telling ppl that I trust in the good Lord to take care of me and to please stop sending the chain letters. It worked and no one was upset at me for being honest.

  3. #3
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    36
    I delete them and don't do it. Guess some of my friends believe in them. I don't. I make my own good luck if I can. I agree. I feel bad when they say to returnt hem to the ones who sent them too. Hopeing they will take a hint. LOL.

  4. #4
    Member coralee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Jefferson City, missouri
    Posts
    72
    great idea...especially since they are mostly of religous nature anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I just started telling ppl that I trust in the good Lord to take care of me and to please stop sending the chain letters. It worked and no one was upset at me for being honest.
    :-D

  5. #5
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,411
    Blog Entries
    10
    I just ignore them -- oh and the texts that really irritates me- as depending on who sends it can cost me money :hunf:

  6. #6
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    15,937
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by coralee
    great idea...especially since they are mostly of religous nature anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I just started telling ppl that I trust in the good Lord to take care of me and to please stop sending the chain letters. It worked and no one was upset at me for being honest.
    :-D
    I think the religious one irritate me most, it just shows me where their faith is!

  7. #7
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,454
    Blog Entries
    20
    Have you received any via snail mail with charm squares? I didn't do those either. I just can't do that.

  8. #8
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,911
    yes, I have one that does that. I sometimes forward, but I remove the part that says to send on to others. I just like to share some of the stories. I've asked her not to, but it doesn't stop her.

  9. #9
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,212
    The effortlessness and speed of email has made these little annoyances much more prevalent, it seems.
    The again, we have the "delete" button which also works just as quickly with hardly any effort. :D
    One can blame a lot of "missed" stuff on "....must be out there in cyber space somewhere...." :oops:

  10. #10
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,487
    I just texted my friend back and said something along the line of thanks for thinking of me, but I don't 'do' these. Now she only sends extra special ones.

  11. #11
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    I had one that sent me every chain letter/mugged in the parking lot hoax that came along. Finally one day I replied in the following manner.

    Dear ____,
    I'm typing this in the local morgue while waiting for the ME to start my autopsy and sending it as a warning to you to stay away from _________Mall. I was there this morning and while getting out of my car had my Achilles tendon cut by someone hiding under my car. Then another man shoved some perfume under my nose and it was ETHER! When I finally came to I'd been mugged, molested, folded, stapled, mutilated and killed. It seems that everywhere I go this type of thing happens. I received a killer chain letter and when I sent it to ten of my closest friends and they sent it to theirs we each received 472 serial killers. In an effort to prove or disprove all the warning emails I've gotten I've spent the last several years travelling all over the country. There are only four malls and three gas stations left that I haven't been killed at but as soon as I'm done here I'm on my way to check them out.

    Please forward this to 900 friends in the next 10 seconds or the men that killed me will show up at your doorstep tomorrow.

    Sincerely,
    your mangled murdered friend,
    Alfreda

    She responded with: "Okay, message received." and never sent me anymore of them.

  12. #12
    Member coralee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Jefferson City, missouri
    Posts
    72
    I love this, I'll use your response, I bet the perpetrator gets the hint LMBO
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I had one that sent me every chain letter/mugged in the parking lot hoax that came along. Finally one day I replied in the following manner.
    Dear ____,
    I'm typing this in the local morgue while waiting for the ME to start my autopsy and sending it as a warning to you to stay away from _________Mall. I was there this morning and while getting out of my car had my Achilles tendon cut by someone hiding under my car. Then another man shoved some perfume under my nose and it was ETHER! When I finally came to I'd been mugged, molested, folded, stapled, mutilated and killed. It seems that everywhere I go this type of thing happens. I received a killer chain letter and when I sent it to ten of my closest friends and they sent it to theirs we each received 472 serial killers. In an effort to prove or disprove all the warning emails I've gotten I've spent the last several years travelling all over the country. There are only four malls and three gas stations left that I haven't been killed at but as soon as I'm done here I'm on my way to check them out.

    Please forward this to 900 friends in the next 10 seconds or the men that killed me will show up at your doorstep tomorrow.

    Sincerely,
    your mangled murdered friend,
    Alfreda

    She responded with: "Okay, message received." and never sent me anymore of them.
    :mrgreen:

  13. #13
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    You're welcome to use it anytime you wish. LOL

  14. #14
    Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    645
    Get them all the time, esp. from one particular person who cannot take a hint.

    I have a message that I send back........

    To all my friends and family who have sent me best "wishes" chain letters, "angel blessings", and other promises of good lucK....

    NONE OF THAT S*** WORKED!

    Could you please just send cash, wine, chocolate, or airline tickets instead?

    Thank you!

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,837
    Blog Entries
    1
    i have a few friends that do that..usually i send them the link to snopes/urban legends.
    my Brother in law, sent me all sorts of political /and joke ones..
    i finally sent him and email and told him "you assume i am a republican/democrat, and i am actually a republican/democrat, your emails are offensive to me.
    and "$2000 is alot to spend on a cyber joke book.."

    then i blocked him, and/or hit the spam button.

    what really ticks me off, is,when they send a forward and everyone and his brother, has my email address, and i don't even know these people. then i get crap from them too!
    you do know, that some email programs save all the address that are on them,don't you?

    my daughter called this week and she has a virus and it is gonna cost her 90 bucks to get it fixed..she clicked on something in an email that she should not have.

    So my advice is, if your gonna send or forward something you just have to share..please be kind and send it as a blind copy (Bcc) so no one gets thier email address...

    just my 2cents..

  16. #16
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,468
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Quote Originally Posted by coralee
    great idea...especially since they are mostly of religous nature anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I just started telling ppl that I trust in the good Lord to take care of me and to please stop sending the chain letters. It worked and no one was upset at me for being honest.
    :-D
    I think the religious one irritate me most, it just shows me where their faith is!
    I agree! If that is the only way we can have good luck, life is pretty sad. I delete them without reading them.

  17. #17
    Super Member sawsan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Jordan
    Posts
    1,688
    Blog Entries
    40
    They believe what I don't, so I just ignore them

  18. #18
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,694
    I think some of the forwards are kind of fun to read ---

    UNTIL I get to the - "please return to me and send to x more people" - section.

    If one MUST send something on, the BCC (blind carbon copy) option is good to use.

    After selecting "forward" - one can delete all the other addresses before selecting "send" Makes the blah-blah look neater, too.

  19. #19
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    LOL, I am so bad on the computer, I really dont even know how to forward that stuff. I have a SIL who sends them all the time, the religious ones. I think it ticks her off that I never respond, I just dont believe in that stuff!

  20. #20
    Senior Member vjengels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    892
    I never pass these on, they annoy me to no end, but I don't have the heart to tell DIL I think they're stupid.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    442
    Blog Entries
    1
    We three siblings have all asked our brother politely to stop forwarding those emails. He has since retired and is still forwarding them from his former coworkers. Maybe the senders just don't understand why we don't enjoy them.

  22. #22
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,911
    If they really believe that breaking the chain will bring dire bad luck, why would they send it to you if there is even a slight chance you won't forward it? Then they are responsible for the bad luck you get, because if they had not sent it to you, you would have been spared.
    I have told people several times, I can't see any videos on my email (dialup connection, slow). They still send them.

  23. #23
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    I never respond to these chain e- mails. In fact people who really know me well , do not even bother to send them. But when I do get them , I can not help it... it just adjusts my thinking of that person .... not in a positive way.
    I really like the serial killer response ... I will have to keep this one in mind.

  24. #24
    Super Member Jo M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,456
    I ignore/delete these too.

    I agree with the bcc being the best option to hide contact addresses.

  25. #25
    Super Member misseva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    2,418
    Blog Entries
    3
    most of the ones i get regarding fraud, killings, etc. are not true. i usually go to snopes.com and copy the link and forward it to ALL. the religious ones that talk about bad luck - ugh! christians don't have luck, we rely on god. and i have repeatedly told others about Bcc but no one listens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.