Charlotte, NC

Old 09-11-2010, 01:47 PM

I am thinking about transferring within my company to Charlotte. What are the good and bad things about living there?

I know the winters would be warmer than upstate NY (good), but I know the summers would be warmer too (bad). I know that Mary Jo's is right there too (GREAT!). I am not looking for quilt related answers like how many shops there are but everyday life answers. The schools are no longer an issue for us so we don't care about that aspect, but everything else. Traffic, cost of living, taxes, all the other things that you love or hate about the area, please.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

let me check with my niece , she is there for college :thumbup: I was just there for 10 days . We were over by the track side of town , so a lot of highways and in the mornings and evening the traffic is horrendous :shock:
Old 09-11-2010, 02:22 PM

I have several friends that retired there or rather near there. They love it and say the cost of living is why the moved there.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:46 PM

I lived in Charlotte for a few years. It is just large enough to have fine arts, good restaurants, good shopping, etc. The weather is very good in my opinion. If you do move, it will be what you make it! Besides, it is an adventure.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:53 PM

I'm a small town girl living just outside of Charlotte. We hate the traffic and congestion. A trip to Pineville that 8 years ago took us minutes now takes close to an hour. The cost of living to us is much more and we're over the state line in SC. Most of our displeasure though is that we would really be more comfortable in the country. Can't sell right now though for quite a few reasons. Taxes in Mecklenburg county are high for the area. There are tons and tons of restaraunts too.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:07 PM

I live in York, SC, twenty minutes outside of Charlotte, NC. I've here 5 years now. Previous to here, I lived in Sandown, NH. First, I love the weather! If you enjoy sunshine, this is the place to be. People are much frendlier down here as well, compared to the northeast. (I think the weather has something to do with this, very few gloomy days in a year compared to the north.) I would never choose to live in Charlotte, only because I'm not a city girl, and like at least an acre of land most neighborhoods there are 1/4 acre type lots in the suburban areas. Schools are terrible, so it's good you don't care about that! Many who work in Charlotte live in S.C. because of this. Cost of living is much less that what you are use to in N.Y. You will even find groceries are cheaper, I did. Allen-Tate is the big real estate company down here, look up thier website and you can compare housing. Real Estate prices have not declined here like other parts of the country, but still much cheaper than upstate NY! Traffics not too bad, but area is growing. I know taxes are lower in S.C. a more conservative state compared to N.C., but couldn't give you specifics. Charlotte is experiencing real money problems, recently closing some libraries.
I'm very happy we made the move, and won't be going back north, I'm a southerner now!
Old 09-11-2010, 04:20 PM

My husband was there for a convention. He was not impressed. However, his cousin and her husband and children live there...and they love it. They have also lived in Atlanta and north eastern PA...and this is, by far, their favorite city.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:45 PM

I lot to with a move is how you want it to be, good or bad. Look at different areas around the city.
I always used at leas t2 different realtors from different parts city. I think this way you get a better idea of
different neighborhoods. A realtor is going to steer you in the direction they know best, and have homes listed by their agency. Besure to look across the state line in South Carolina.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:46 PM

My cousins Sandy (Grin) and Chuck Kaiser (both born in Buffalo) retired there and love it.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Grinster
My cousins Sandy (Grin) and Chuck Kaiser (both born in Buffalo) retired there and love it.
Well, I too was born in Buffalo so I guess that clinches it - I will love it too! :D