Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: chemo port seat belt cushions

Lightbulb chemo port seat belt cushions

Several of my friends at church have started chemo,(3 just this last week) I got the bright idea to make them "Blessings bags" , and give them a little cushion for the seat belt and include a card of encouragement, our congregation is about 400 people.I have tried to get someone else to go along with me, but we have do many "small groups" already in church,(I already belong to one group )that I would be doing it solo. I really want to do this, but an inner voice tells me 'You can't do it alone!" . Our preacher tells us"what burns in your heart is what you should be doing". What would you do?

Power Poster
    Are they labor and/or materials intensive?

I would probably make at least one or two - see how it goes over - and go from there.

If your pastor/minister/priest/leader says it's okay for you to do it - why not?

Why do you feel that you can't do it alone? (If it becomes a huge success - you may need others to keep up to the demand, but if that happens, it might be easier to get others to participate if they see how well the items are well-received.)

How nice of you to want to do this. I agree with bearisgray and maybe try making a few and see how they are accepted by the recipients. If everyone likes them you may have a little help offered to you for making them. kudos to you for thinking of others in need.

I think this is a wonderful idea. I had never heard of this before & one of our dear friends just had his port removed about 3 weeks ago. I wish I had known about these while he was going through chemo. I did an online search & found many free instructions for making these. Maybe you could get some of the teenagers in your church to make some for you. If you have a local quilt shop maybe you could get them to let you use one of their class rooms & you could get up a group to go sew these together .... say once a month. Just tossing out a few ideas that come to my mind right now.

What a nice project you are thinking of doing! I know you can do it alone. Just start with one and then keep on going. I make baby quilts and crib sheets for Crisis Pregnancy Centers all alone,and I have no idea how many I've made over the years... must be more than a couple of thousand. If I can do it, anybody can.

Have you thought that if the Lord laid this project on your heart, He will be your helper? Believe me, He will be right there with you. Just do it!!

Let us know how successful it becomes. God bless!

How about a 4-H or girl scout group. I know my niece is always looking for projects for her troop. God Bless

Go for it! Not only are these good to pad the port site they are great to use for shorter people who almost strangle with the safety belt. A friend made our sewing group some for Christmas as most of use are 5'3" and under! I love mine. Ours are made from fleece and launder well.

Do you have a pattern for a "seat belt cushion"? I'd be interested in what this is.

Blog Entries
    I recently bought a seatbelt cushion from Amazon, but would rather make one. I'm 4'10" and in many cars the seat belt goes across my chin. Even the smaller cars the seat belt usually chokes me. I would be interested in a pattern or tutorial too. Also in many cars the headrests slant forward and hit me in the back of my head forcing my head forward so that I'm looking downward. Some kind of pillow to fix that problem would help too.
    Last edited by janjanq; 08-09-2018 at 05:18 AM.

Our group has been making these for church members and for Roswell Park Cancer patients. They were well received.

Quote Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
    What a nice project you are thinking of doing! I know you can do it alone. Just start with one and then keep on going. I make baby quilts and crib sheets for Crisis Pregnancy Centers all alone,and I have no idea how many I've made over the years... must be more than a couple of thousand. If I can do it, anybody can.

Have you thought that if the Lord laid this project on your heart, He will be your helper? Believe me, He will be right there with you. Just do it!!

Let us know how successful it becomes. God bless!
    I agree with Susan's comment...you can do this! I, like Susan, took on a charity project with the Lord & have made over 850 medical face masks for children with congenital heart defects since the end of 2016. My secret to doing this is to pace myself and commit. I make a committed amount every 2 months. Don't put a unrealistic goal on yourself but do what is comfortable for you. That way you won't burn out before you have met your goal.

Blog Entries
    If this is what is in your heart. Then go ahead and start doing it. Then let other people know that if they would like to help what they can do. Sometimes people will be more welling to donate items for your Blessing bags then sew or visit someone sick.

I voluneer at a cancer center and really like to make these for the patients. Could you post the directions?

there is lots of free patterns on these.I found mine in Pinterist. I also made the seat belt pillows for a long trip my grandkids were making this summer. they loved them,as they were on 12 hour trip,and teenagers love to sleep while traveling.

Go with your gut feeling.