Chosen Career

Old 01-04-2018, 05:10 AM

When I was in high school in the late 60's I decided I wanted to be a secretary. But one of my instructors unknowingly turned me off that idea. She made a comment about the main focus of being a secretary was to "make your boss look good". I didn't like that idea. I wanted a career that I could have my own purpose to the company I worked for. I was always good at math so took accounting classes and loved it! I never got a degree but worked as a bookkeeper/accountant for 45 years until I retired 3 years ago.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:12 AM

Well, Lynnie, you would have been terrific as a sewing teacher, but you certainly are an inspiration to us here on the board. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:13 AM

Married as a teenager, 4 kids under 7, and stay at home mom. Became Cert nurse aid, got my ged, went on to LPN. and then R.N.. Still married to the man, 4 kids, 6 grandkids, 16 3/4 great grandkids, and 1 great great granddaughter. My DH and I are both retired, and everybody lives away from us so we go visiting on our terms. LOL When I was in high school you went to college to find a man, or you became a teacher. I now quilt and DH tells me what to buy in a good way.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
Lynnie....so many kids fell thru the cracks when I went to school too.... I'm not sure it's much better today for youth.
When I was a young girl and did well in science and math, my 4th grade teacher said, "You don't have to be just a housewife, you can be a nurse, teacher or executive secretary." My brother, with similar scores, was told, "You can be a doctor, lawyer or engineer." I don't know whether times have changed for the better for women in every way, but I do think girls have more opportunities than they once had.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:52 PM

I hated high school. I didn't want to go on. I was an honor student but I hated it. I married at 18 and had 3 kids by 24. I was a stay at home mom and loved it. Marriage fell apart and I went to work at the local radio station. Remarried and had 3 more kids. I have had a lot of different jobs in my life. Each job was a step up and a pay raise. I am now head seamstress at a large bridal shop and I love it. I have been there many years and it never gets boring. Kids are all grown and 5 of them are college graduates. Three own their own business. Sometimes I think kids are pushed too hard to go to college. White collar jobs are great but we need blue collar workers too. I think if you know what you love to do and figure out a way to get paid for it...you will never 'work' a day in your life.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
I hated high school. I didn't want to go on. I was an honor student but I hated it. I married at 18 and had 3 kids by 24. I was a stay at home mom and loved it. Marriage fell apart and I went to work at the local radio station. Remarried and had 3 more kids. I have had a lot of different jobs in my life. Each job was a step up and a pay raise. I am now head seamstress at a large bridal shop and I love it. I have been there many years and it never gets boring. Kids are all grown and 5 of them are college graduates. Three own their own business. Sometimes I think kids are pushed too hard to go to college. White collar jobs are great but we need blue collar workers too. I think if you know what you love to do and figure out a way to get paid for it...you will never 'work' a day in your life.
Love this story.... And love your final comment. Right on!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
As I sit here and read these replies I am in awe of all of you. Each one of you have made the world such a better place! We should all be proud of ourselves. A bit more about me: I got married at 16, had 4 kids all two years apart. My second baby died at 2 months from crib death. I was 19, it devastated me. Two more kids, then I figured out what was making that happen and that stopped. (Haha) Marriage was awful, well actually it was who I was married to, 8 years older than me, and I knew I had to support myself and the kids and find a way out. Went to classes at night at the grade school to get my GED and once I got that there was no stopping me. I drove old broken down cars, 120 miles a day round trip to go to community college to earn a degree in Respiratory Therapy which I did while taking classes to become a nurse. I had a Pell grant and couldnt believe that there was that kind of financial help and wanted to take advantage of it so I was doing 27 credits a quarter( had special permission) to learn all I could. I would get the kiddies in the tub at night after dinner, read to them before putting them to bed so I could study. Times were hard. Very hard. Never got child support or any help from family. I have ended up with my respiratory therapy, CRTT, plus my nursing degree then also I am certified operating room nurse, CNOR. When my youngest was 18 I married my now husband and he told me I didnt have to work anymore if I didnt want to. Life is good.
i'm in awe of you!! Amazing perseverance in the face of adversity. High five!
Old 01-05-2018, 06:18 AM

When I went to college, I had no idea what I wanted to do. With the help of a remarkable advisor (at Ohio State, a massive school where I never expected to experience such individualized attention and encouragement,) I got a dual degree. I subsequently received two graduate degrees, including a J.D. Sometimes things work out in the most unexpected ways.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:11 PM

I wanted to be a geologist and enjoyed talking with the field geologist at the refinery where my father worked. However, in college in 1960, geology classes were strictly male. Best I could do was teach Geology in the Science Dept. My parents considered teaching the lowest of the low and wanted me to be a beautician or secretary or nurse. Teaching at college level was good in pay and benefits and I really enjoyed it. They said I "worked" not "taught". When I told my female students about the discrimination, they were appaled. That would not happen today, but back then was a different time.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
i'm in awe of you!! Amazing perseverance in the face of adversity. High five!
Good for you!