Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Christmas dining room gift ideas? >

Christmas dining room gift ideas?

Christmas dining room gift ideas?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:39 AM

Last year I made a reversable table cloth and quilted it. For the batting I used an insulated one to help protect the table. One side was for Thanksgiving and the other was for Christmas; two for one especially since they are so close together.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:55 AM

If your relatives are older and their table settings are formal with real china, then they may very much like the correctness of white or off-white napkins with white or silver initial. Why don't you call and ask them the size of their table? A table runner ought to hang over the edge of the table by at least 12 inches. You know the taste of your relatives better than strangers do, but many older ladies still using china and silver for holiday dinners prefer to set the table according to traditional manners of years gone by and would really appreciate this being acknowledged and supported by your gift. The modern touch would be fact that your napkins, etc would be wash and wear and not starch and iron as they used to be. I can remember starching and ironing white tablecloths and napkins and it was such a pain!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:30 AM

thanks for all the ideas! I think I might make my own napkins as it will give me something to embroider while sitting on the couch at night. I'll embroider their last initial onto it as I found a site that had monograms for letters.

What sort of material should I look for? They're not older and I'm pretty sure they would only be used on special occasions like thanksgiving, christmas, easter, etc. But I would like for them to hold up.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:31 AM

Linen will last for generations. Damask should also last for generations. A tight woven perm/press blend should last a few decades as will a tight woven cotton. It depends on the usage. I use some that are cotton and some that are perm/press for my every day napkins and they have held up very well for over 20 years. I bought them when I bought my pottery dishes. I have other linen napkins that my mother bought with her china and they are as good as new but 60 years old.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:31 AM

Linen will last for generations. Damask should also last for generations. A tight woven perm/press blend should last a few decades as will a tight woven cotton. It depends on the usage. I use some that are cotton and some that are perm/press for my every day napkins and they have held up very well for over 20 years. I bought them when I bought my pottery dishes. I have other linen napkins that my mother bought with her china and they are as good as new but 60 years old.