Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Christmas gifts that were great, not hmmm >

Christmas gifts that were great, not hmmm

Christmas gifts that were great, not hmmm

Old 12-14-2011, 05:32 PM

Default Christmas gifts that were great, not hmmm

This is in response to "Christmas gifts that made you go HMMMM"

What is a gift (or more than 1) you received that you were really excited about?

I have 2. I'd always wanted a carousel animal. I'd found a carousel rooster at an antique store that I really wanted to buy (it wasn't that expensive) and my husband said no. This had to be the early 70s. Several years later, for Christmas, I received a box with holes in it with a model horse in it. When I looked at him questioningly (is that a word), he said the horse had to breathe Then he explained he'd found someone with a small carousel and she was selling several of the individual horses. We could go & I could choose which one I wanted. I was so excited. We had the horse stripped & repainted; I still have it.

The 2nd was a fully equipped darkroom that he built in our basement. I was working on my BA in photography & spent a lot of time at school. While I was gone, he was converting an unused room in the front of our basement to a darkroom for me. It was wonderful --stainless steel sink, counter with enlarger mounted in it, all the equipment I needed to develop film, trays for developing the prints, bottles for the chemicals needed, print dryer, lots of storage space. It was wonderful. The surprising thing I found out later was that my family and most of our friends knew about it & no one leaked a word.

He always came up with very thoughtful gifts for me.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:34 PM

What a sweet hubby!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Power Poster

The year my sons went and took a pic for me- I had wanted one of them together for a few years and begged, pleaded to no avail I knew what they were up to after they both took showers- groomed their hair - looked nice to go hang out together hhhmmmmm But it was a great pic and I love it
Old 12-15-2011, 04:41 AM

One year our whole family went to a resort for the weekend at Christmas. Our kids and grands had their picture taken to gether before hand and presented it to us at that time. I was in tears.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

I received my youngest son in my arms by adoption on Christmas eve.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:31 AM

In 2002 we found out in the middle of December that our youngest granddaughter age 3 1/2 months old had been born with cancer in her right eye. All 5 children and their children changed their holiday plans and came from 3 different states to celebrate Christmas and support their brother, his wife and their little daughter. We had a wonderful Christmas with everyone present - the first time in 15 years or so. Children's Hospital in Philly, Houston, and Ft Worth all worked together and cured the cancer over a period of 5 years. She was one of the youngest ever successfully ever treated.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
In 2002 we found out in the middle of December that our youngest granddaughter age 3 1/2 months old had been born with cancer in her right eye. All 5 children and their children changed their holiday plans and came from 3 different states to celebrate Christmas and support their brother, his wife and their little daughter. We had a wonderful Christmas with everyone present - the first time in 15 years or so. Children's Hospital in Philly, Houston, and Ft Worth all worked together and cured the cancer over a period of 5 years. She was one of the youngest ever successfully ever treated.
That was the best Christmas gift EVER.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
I received my youngest son in my arms by adoption on Christmas eve.
What a wonderful gift.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:51 AM

Hubby and I had been dating just a few weeks when he took me to a jewelry store just before Christmas and bought me a pair of beautiful Diamond earrings; I wear them every day............I have a wonderful hubby!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 08:43 AM

I received a "coupon book" from both step-sons, the youngest (6) gave me a 1 hour massage (I took it in 10 minute increments) the oldest (11) gave me a week of taking out the trash. Last year DH gave me a portable design wall (6 feet square), awesome. This year I received a gift certificate to my favorite restaurant by the owners, was hand delivered to me today, I'm still doing the "happy dance" I'm sure I have many more just can't think of them right now, youngest DD gave me a belated Christmas gift 8 years ago, DGS was born on Jan.6 and oldest DD was my Christmas gift to myself, she was born Dec.26. All exceptional gifts.