Christmas news letters

Old 12-11-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Grann6, that would be hilarious!! Now if I got one of those I'd enjoy it- like I said I want to do one about all bad things as a joke but haven't yet :D
I'll have to update you when my DDIL sends out this year's. My son tends to be accident prone when he tries to do home improvements and every year she lists the injuries he has inflicted upon himself. And she always throws in the negative stuff. It is always so funny. It's the only Christmas letter I enjoy.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

I dont mind them, but if thye are too long.......boring!
Old 12-11-2010, 09:24 AM

I write one every year since we have a huge list of people to send cards to and four kids to report on. I am careful not to say too much about any one topic for fear of being boring and definitely work hard not to sound like our life is perfect. I get one like that and it drives me crazy.

Also because our live isn't perfect. ;)

I always include a picture taken sometime during the year of the kids.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:02 AM

I generally don't like them. Because their not real. Mostly its about all the good stuff. How about telling the time the toilet overfloed and flooded the house or you lost your car keys and had a interested time getting into your car with a hanger and the officer intervention. I would love to hear about those stories they are REAL!!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 10:06 AM

I'm not a big fan of them because too many of them come across way too pretentious!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Moon Holiday
I'm not a big fan of them because too many of them come across way too pretentious!
--------------------
Yes, what she said.

I wrote one some time ago, and since I did not really believe most of what others wrote ( I KNEW those folks) put in all the bad stuff I could think about. From my problems with itching under my leg cast to another patient advising me on how to soften skin after the cast came off and the leg hairs being long enough to pin curl...
Lots of folks who knew us well thought it was a hoot, a couple were offended but that's alright since I didn't much care for their "I'm so religious but you aren't" type of life. I'll bet that I had much more fun with my family than theirs did.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:32 AM

From Irrelativity.com

Hi, Y'all,

Well, Lordy, can you believe that another year has come and gone? There is just so much news that I don't know where to begin.

I'll start with the latest: Skeeter has done got engaged! Yep, our little boy told us just last week that he proposed to Lilly Ann McGhehee from Rosedale. Yes, THAT Lilly Ann McGhehee, whose family owns "McGhehee's Cum-N-Pet" petting zoo out on Highway 49. Y'all know how Skeeter has always been fond of animals, so it's no surprise that he and Lilly Ann took such a shine to each other. Her daddy, Clem, is getting' on in his days, so I reckon that Skeeter and Lilly Ann will be taking over the pettin' zoo soon enough. I tell you what, that Skeeter gets all dreamy eyed when he talks about those goats. She's a real nice girl, Lilly Ann, and real pretty, too, even more so after she had that operation to pin her ears back. They ain't set a date yet, but Skeeter says it'll have to be after calving season next year.

I had a l'il mishap last month while I was on the local TV show, "Fishin' A.M." I was promotin' my new cookbook, "First, You Get Your Grease Real Hot," and was making hush puppies in their tiny studio kitchen when Clarence Evans, the Fishin' A.M. host, stood too close to the burner and caught his overalls on fire. He was running around the set yelling, "Oooh, hot! Oooh, hot!" 'til one of the cameramen finally threw baking soda on him. It seemed bad at the time, but then somebody put the clip on the Internet and now I been gettin' more orders than I ever imagined.

And speaking of the Internet, I got a e-letter last week that might just change things for me and Uncle Clyde in a big old way. It's kind of a long story, but Mr. Immanuel Agyei, some bigwig at the EcoBank Gh Ltd. in Accra-Ghana, West Africa, found a whole bunch of money in a private savings account of somebody that died, and he's going to up and give it to me and Clyde. And listen here - it's $14,700,000.00! Lordy, I never seen so many zeros in all my days. Wants to transfer it right into our bank account, too! We don't even have to go to West Africa, which is good, 'cause Clyde's hemorrhoids have been giving him fits, and I don't think he could sit in one of them airplane seats for longer than 20 minutes, 14 million dollars or not.

As soon as I figure out how to Internet him back, I'm gonna give him our bank account number and, well, I guess you'll have to wait 'til next year's Christmas letter to find out what we did with all that money! Hee hee...

On a sad note, we had to put down Mr. Tigglewiggle. He was a good dog, but in the last few months he went a little funny. In the end he was just a-bitin' everything in sight, even me and Clyde. He'd wait at the school bus stop every afternoon and bite each kid as he came off it. He'd gone a little bit blind, too, so no telling what he though he was doin'. Sheriff Huey came out personally to talk to us about it, and danged if Mr. Tigglewiggle didn't jump up and bite him right on his, well...um, Billy club.

The good news is that Sheriff Huey took Mr. Tigglewiggle out behind the Tuff Shed right away and put him out of his misery, which saved us a vet bill. We sure do miss him. We still have pictures to remember him by, though. And scars.

Y'all have a Merry Christmas, y'hear?

Love,

Aunt Faye and Uncle Clyde
Old 12-11-2010, 11:35 AM

I have one friend who sends out an obnoxiously long one every year- a paragraph for each family member & very small font. I used to get one from an old neighbor who was so mean to one of her kids in it! Child A was doing great, in the military, so proud of him, blah, blah, blah. Child B's grades weren't very good & if he didn't start studying & bring them up he wasn't getting his driver's license!! I am no longer on her list, thankfully!
Old 12-11-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I've always had the urge to send one with every bad thing that happened all year but I'm too chicken !! lol
I just think it would be a hoot.
I like them if I really like the people involved. Some are just long-winded and boring! :)
I guess it just depends who sends it.
Oh, we get one like that from an old acquaintance every year! How awful the year has been. How much she was sick, how ex (15 yrs) is ignoring her, how she hates her son's older girlfriend (they've lived together 18 yrs and have a great business venture)......What a downer. Don't know what to reply, so we just wish a happy new year!
Old 12-11-2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
Do you like them or not? I don't do any, but get a few each year. I like to hear general stuff, (kids all well, new grandbaby, just retired, etc). But don't get too detailed (smart child #1 got all A's on his report card, but smart child #2 got a B on his).
What kind of stuff do you like to hear about, if you enjoy getting those types of letters?
I hate them. One year my DDIL and I collaberated on a letter for her to send out. It was hilarious. It was so exaggerated about her 2 kids that no one could have ever believed it. My DGD at the time was 2 and we told about how she was in ballet and the Metropolitan Ballet was trying to recruit her; stuff like that. The family and close friends who knew her well thought it was hilarious. I have a former neighbor who always sends me a letter that makes me want to choke; about all their trips and how active they are in their church, etc. I'm lucky to write a 2-line note on the bottom of mine. This year I will be lucky to even send out a card.
Had an old school chum who sent them out every year, she even taklked about her "grand-dogs, and housebreaking, her kids were all genius', and she even talked about other friends doings. Well, another friend and I use to laugh and make fun of these and how much we hated them, so one year I did just what you did. ( but only to friend 2!) I wrote about cleaning up dog doo, and anything else I could think of that was crazy. I came up with some really good things!!LOL I laughed writing it, and she said she and her husband cracked up reading it. She said that is one Xmas letter she has kept for years and reads it over. I really enjoy getting the letters and hearing about family, just not every thing that is good and above normal. I love my kids dearly, and my grands, but they sure aren't perfect, so if I do write about them in a letter, folks get to hear good and bad.