Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it Christmas ?

Blog Entries
    Here's my Christmas cactus that has it's dates mixed up. Started blooming almost 2 wks ago.There's 2 plants in this pot & the white plant is also close to blooming.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice! My Christmas cactus has not bloomed in over 4 years!!!!

My mother had a Christmas cactus that she babied, but it never bloomed for her. It was covered with blooms the Christmas after she passed. We said it was her way of being with us at the holiday.

I have this happen, and the florist told me those are actually called a holiday cactus. Mine blooms twice before Christmas and once before Easter. The flowers are hot pink w. white.

Blog Entries
    It may be mixed up, but is sure is beautiful :D:D:D

It is beautiful. I have three of them blossoming now. Strange

Blog Entries
    My Christmas Cactus doesn't know when it is Christmas either. It always blooms at this time of year, its going really strong at the moment and covered in flowers.

Blog Entries
    Mine is loaded with blooms right now too. Does it every year about this time and again later.

Blog Entries
    Mine is beside a south window.Anyway, it seems to like it there.

Blog Entries
    Your catus is beautiful. I noticed yesterday mine is just beginning to get buds. Another one hasnt bloomed in years. Same house,same care, dont know why it wont bloom.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like yours will be right on sched.The white cactus in same pot hasn't bloomed, but not far from it.I haven't taken much care of it, just water when I think of it.There's no telling what will happen with plants.

Quote Originally Posted by zennia
    Your catus is beautiful. I noticed yesterday mine is just beginning to get buds. Another one hasnt bloomed in years. Same house,same care, dont know why it wont bloom.

I have one in my classroom that blooms every year during Christmas break. We usually get to see a few blooms after the New Year.

My poor Christmas cactus is so neglected I am always amazed when it produces flowers. I have one that the landlady from our first place gave us nearly 28 years ago, and it just doesn't give up and let me tell you it has every right to throw in the towel. It hardly ever gets watered, it is in a pot on the floor and the grandpuppies and/or grandchildren nearly knock it flying every time they are over, but it just seems to endure the torture. Good thing there isn't a society that monitors the humane treatment of houseplants, I would be in deep trouble.

Its pretty!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justme2
    Here's my Christmas cactus that has it's dates mixed up. Started blooming almost 2 wks ago.There's 2 plants in this pot & the white plant is also close to blooming.
    -----------------------------
    My cactus spend all spring and summer out in the shady part of the garden.

I just brought them in about 3 weeks ago.

Now look at them !! ! ! ! !

they are blooming like crazy....but usually bloom around the holidays too...Don't know about this time ...Maybe I won't see any blooms around thanksgiving this year .
    Name:  Attachment-116099.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  105.2 KB

Can You see the rare yellow cactus.
    Name:  Attachment-116100.jpe
Views: 8
Size:  63.8 KB

The yellow is pale so it is really hard to catch the density of the yellow .
    Name:  Attachment-116101.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  50.8 KB

I just noticed mine today. They have been sitting on the steps on the back of the house all summer. They are still alive after the frost last night and have little pods on them. Can I move them inside and them not loose the buds?

OH GOSH -- I LOVE the pictures!! I used to have one that bloomed in late May!!!! I think I'll buy one this weekend... :)

Blog Entries
    Aren't they beautiful! All those colors....Gonna show my cactus the pics of yours & tell it to try harder :-):-)

DH's Grma had a huge cactus she gave to me, the size of a bushel basket....flowers covered it. I babied that plant......then DH decided it needed to be moved outside in the Spring.We had a hard freeze & that was the end of my cactus.Of course I remind him now & then.You can be sure he doesn't touch any of my plants....that's a :thumbdown:

Quote Originally Posted by ICU_FOSTERMOM
    Quote Originally Posted by justme2
    -----------------------------
    My cactus spend all spring and summer out in the shady part of the garden.

I just brought them in about 3 weeks ago.

Now look at them !! ! ! ! !

they should start blooming now and again around christmas. Someone told me that you can put them in a dark place like a basement or closet for a couple of weeks and when you bring it back out that it will bloom again. I've never tried it.

So pretty!!! :thumbup:

My neglected ones sit on the front verandah all year round, and have been flowering for the last 6 weeks. The only water they get is when it rains, and maybe a couple of jugs of water in summer if they are lucky. I've also had them growing in water on the kitchen window sill facing west. A few drops of fish fertiliser in the water every 2-3 months, and they grow like Topsy.

Blog Entries
    Love those plants - my Christmas cactus is blooming!!!! We also have something else in common - I purchased 2 lamps like that at Jordan Marsh 40 years ago and still enjoy them every day as they are so delicate and beautiful. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. Beautiful flowers.

Blog Entries
    your cactus are beautiful. wish mine looked that good. my MIL used to always talk about 'thanksgiving cactus" and "christmas cactus". usually ours do pretty well, cause my husband's office is cooler. but for some reason, not a bloom in site this yr.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    My mother had a Christmas cactus that she babied, but it never bloomed for her. It was covered with blooms the Christmas after she passed. We said it was her way of being with us at the holiday.
    That is soo strange! We had a similar experience with ours. My mom had this huge rambling Christmas cactus that had not bloomed in years, my dad and I wanted to throw it out. My mom would not hear of it and insisted we keep it. The year after my dad passed it had the most beautiful blooms on it and it had bloomed twice every year since! It will be 14 years this Christmas.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like your plants are gearing up to bloom for Xmas.I'd keep them out of direct sun ....but they should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimito2
    I just noticed mine today. They have been sitting on the steps on the back of the house all summer. They are still alive after the frost last night and have little pods on them. Can I move them inside and them not loose the buds?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast