Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas Tree

kbs
    For those with grown children and grandchildren who are not close by and are not expected for the holidays, do you still put up a Christmas Tree?

Nope

I think I will always put up a tree. I love to look at it in the evening with all the other lights off.

moved to an apartment 4 years ago, and don't have room for one, and even tho I say I don't I really miss it! I did decorate with a few things here and there and hung the stockings on the mantel all for me.

Blog Entries
    Although I love them, I don't put one up anymore. It started when the boys liked to help put it up and decorate it, but guess who had to undecorate and take it out?

Absolutely! I will always put up a tree. My 95 year old mother still puts up a tree, with the help of my daughter, but all the family goes to her house for Christmas day. It's tradition.....and beautiful!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    I think I will always put up a tree. I love to look at it in the evening with all the other lights off.
    Oh me too!! I just love the tree and lights in the evening.

Well, we havn't put one up yet. We're having Christmas at my Parents house, they may decorate a little but mom's getting up there (80) and was not too thrilled with decorating.
    My boss gave me a tiny living spruce tree complete with ornaments and lights and DH said "You Hoooo, we have a Christmas tree now"
    My first grandchild is due in May, 3 daughters are all married. Son is 22 and single and in the Navy and he will be home on leave for two weeks.
    We probably won't get another tree. Son and DH did hang up lights last Saturday though.

I will always put up the Christmas tree, and all the decorations.
    when I get unable to do it because I'll be on my deathbed, I'll have a decorating party. If I feed them they will come.

Blog Entries
    I haven't put one up yet, and if I don't it will be the first year I haven't. Live alone, and going to my significant other's for Christmas. The grandkids think I should, but it seems like so much work for myself.

My friend is really stressed right now and told me she wasn't going through the hassle of a tree so I took her a small table top tree all decorated and she nearly cried! It took all of 15 min to decorate it and I clamped the ornaments on so she can put it away and get it out next year if she wants to.

Nope. Since I became a widow three years ago, I just haven't felt right in putting up a tree. DH wouldn't be here sitting in the chair 'directing' where things go. Maybe some future Christmas I will.

Blog Entries
    Of course I'll put up the tree. I draw a picture of one, and tape it to the wall. I then shove the presents up under it and that's my whole "I put up the tree" for this year. :-)

My kids are younger, but I will always put up a tree. My mom doesn't anymore(unless the 1 foot tree on her stand counts as a tree), but my grandma still does. I think it's fun and I love decorating the tree.

Blog Entries
    What I put up, I get to take down. I do a sprinkling of decor but very little. Without little children around it's just not the same. I do love to make presents for my family and friends....that's were my energy goes.:)

I wish I could keep my tree up year around. I leave it up from Nov.1, til Feb. 1st. I can remember my parents stopped putting up a tree as they got older, and my mother was ill. It was very sad, it seems like people just give up sometimes. I think I would have to at least put up some decorations.

I will always put up a tree as long as I am able. My mother passed away 4 years ago on Christmas day and after she passed away my Dad always put up the tree, even tho it was a larger tabletop, but he never failed to put it up. I thing he was just remembering how much my Mom loved Christmas and did it in her memory.

My DH and I have no children and no relatives that live in the same state as us, but we put up a tree every year. Love the lights and atmosphere and anticipation of Christmas.

No - not in the house. We have Pine trees all around our house....I put red balls on one little one and DH put lights on it. Snow came....it was more gorgeous than any tree that we'd put in the house!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by renee765
    Nope. Since I became a widow three years ago, I just haven't felt right in putting up a tree. DH wouldn't be here sitting in the chair 'directing' where things go. Maybe some future Christmas I will.
    I have been widowed now for 6 years ago...I finally have put up a tree again...loved doing it more with my husband and boys here to help, but it is very pretty to look at and I do have so many ornaments given to me by friends...many hand made and it is fun to see them again...some Christmas maybe you will be ready again too.

Blog Entries
    A very downsized one. I can't do the big alone any more and no one volunteered, so my small tree is where the big one has been. It's a bit of a surprise, but it's okay. It has lights, garland bulbs and ornaments with a star on top, just on a smaller scale. I did put put all of my angel collection and several nativities, so tradition and meaning are there.

Oh yes, I sure do. The tree is an important part of Christmas, for me.

I have always had a tree. Except for last year- DH was sick, we had a new kitten who I thought would climb the tree and crash it- so I didn't do it. Worst christmas ever. This year I bought a fresh tree, took my chances with the cat- no problems- and put it up. So much better. It's one of the major items I associate with Christmas. I need it and always will want one.
    Cheryl

When my children left home and I was done with day care I put my 7 foot tree away and just do a 4 foot one. But it is still a tradition!!

This year we moved to a different house in NE but are still working on the IA house so we will have our last Christmas there as my son and daughter in law live close by and they are headed to her folks.

So, Sunday we are having our last family gathering in our almost deserted family home of the last 25 years. I have a pre lit tree and Christmas table settings and that is it but it will be fun for just the 5 of us before we all go our separate ways. I know there will some tears but life moves on and next year I'll decorate my new home to the max!

Blog Entries
    no tree for me haven't for several years as we are not home anyway either go to the kids or have Christmas then then leave Christmas day for Az.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast