Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Clash between my two favorite things! >

Clash between my two favorite things!

Clash between my two favorite things!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:20 PM

Right now i am enjoying spring and getting my garden started. Feels wonderful playing in the dirt! We just picked the last of last year's cabbage today. My only problem is my hands. Gardening makes them so dry and scratchy. I hate wearing gloves too. Then I come inside and try to touch fabric (after I've washed of course ;-) ) and they are so icky! They catch the fabric and it just feels terrible. So any other gardeners out there what lotion do you like? I just don't think I can stand to wear gloves while I play...plus I have tried several times and always end up loosing them after a few times.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Power Poster

I know just how you feel....do try and wear gloves, it's a pain, but will help. I use gloves (leather) for tradesmen (I do not have small, delicate hands), they last better than those designed for "ladies who garden" and the leather is not too heavy. You might have to shop around a little to get the right weight/size for you. As for lotions/creams, well I don't really have any brands that would be useful (I'm in Aus.), but I do believe Udder Cream is very good.

If you do happen to get dirty, grimy hands take a handful of white sugar, squeeze over half a juicy fresh lemon and wring, rub and "wash" your hands with it, til it thickens and goes a bit syrupy, then rinse thoroughly under running water, then use whatever lotion you choose. This is an old but good "recipe" for whitening and sloughing off dead skin.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:39 PM

You could also try washing your hands with epsom salts as a "scrub". It will make them smoother.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 PM

OK...this may sound gross but while I love to get my hands dirty, I hate dirt under my nails and like you don't like gloves. So...I scrape my nails along a bar of Dove extra moisture soap and then put a bunch of icky lotion on my hands and under nails. When you wash your hands after gardening, the soap under the nails and lotion makes the dirt slide off and it seems that they are less dry. It especially works on the dirt under the nails issue :D
Old 03-14-2011, 11:22 PM

Go to walmart and in the health and beauty section with the hand and foot care products there are these stones, they are green on one side, white on the other. its about 3 dollars and it works MIRACLES! I go barefoot all year round and it makes them so soft. The white side is for your hands. (I have two one for my hands that stays on the sink and one for my feet in the shower) You just rub the scratchy skin right off! I swear by these things and I give them in beauty bags for birthdays. It looks kinda like a pumas but it is MUCH easier on the skin! It comes in a little clear backage with a black cardboard background!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-170023.jpe  
Old 03-14-2011, 11:23 PM

oops forgot to add that once I "scrub" my hands with this thing I then apply Eucerin Aquaphor Healing Ointment (actually I have used the walmart brand of it and it works great too)!
Old 03-15-2011, 02:22 AM

I wear gloves most of the time. Use baby oil and lubriderm on my hands when I don't.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:25 AM

Location: South Carolina; half hour away from Charlotte, N.C.

I am with you in the garden...I love working in the yard and am enjoying all those pretty Springtime blooms. I try to wear gloves, but it is so hard when pulling weeds.

I found a great Body Lotion at Whole Foods and it only cost (I think) about $2.99 for 16 fl oz. It is called Body Lotion 365 Everyday value. It works too! I use the fragrance free.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:10 AM

My dad had problems with his skin cracking on his hands and feet and he rubbed Lanolin generously on his hands and feet then put on white cotton socks/gloves before going to bed at night.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Qbee
OK...this may sound gross but while I love to get my hands dirty, I hate dirt under my nails and like you don't like gloves. So...I scrape my nails along a bar of Dove extra moisture soap and then put a bunch of icky lotion on my hands and under nails. When you wash your hands after gardening, the soap under the nails and lotion makes the dirt slide off and it seems that they are less dry. It especially works on the dirt under the nails issue :D
Ditto!