Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: classic (non Belgian) waffle makers

classic (non Belgian) waffle makers

Hi all. I hope you had a fine Thaksgiving Day.

I'm trying to find a waffle iron that not only produces nice, classic, evenly cooked, non Belgian waffles, but that is also easy to clean. There are so many brands and features, bells and whistles....I'm at a loss. I'm trying to stay away from the heavy cast iron versions, but I can be convinced. Do you have a favorite classic waffle maker? Why do you like it? What are things you don't like about it? I would like to stay near/under $50, or so, if possible. Thanks in advance for your input.

OOooo can I come to your house when you get it? I love waffles, but I am the only one in my house. I had one my dad bought back in 1972. It was great because it had removable plates. It was huge - it made 4 5-inch waffles at a time. And I loved the different plates, one so you could even make grilled sandwiches. I don't remember the brand.

Blog Entries
    i have this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H21nWfRjFqI
    i really love it and it is easy to clean. and it shows the grandkids how much i love them
    unfortunately, it seems that it's no longer made. here's an ebay listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Decker...QAAOSw~gRVrmsQ
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I have had large, clunky ones.....got rid of...hard to store...now have a cheap lite weight, makes two only....but so efficient and Teflon coated so easy to just wipe clean...perfect every time....I makes batches, freeze on cookie sheets, then bag and just pop into toaster...great in summer for ice cream sandwiches! Also have one of those cute $10 waffle stick makers.......

Love my Sunbeam with no stick surface. It was probably under $20 at the time

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

You can wash the waffle iron under running water. As long as you don't immurse it. I hold it so the water runs off and wash using soap and water, use the sprayer and give it a good rinse. I've been doing this for years to all the grill like small appliances and no problems. I have this one and it's great. https://www.cuisinart.com/products/w...rs/wmr-ca.html
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    silly me, what's the difference and why does it matter? I had one that made rectangle ones, but it took forever, and that was 15 yrs ago. I get my waffles, round , cheap at the dollar store for 6. can't beat that. I put strawberries and whipped cream on mine, also dollar store. good luck.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Types of Waffle Makers

Standard Waffle Makers: Standard waffle makers create waffles that are usually between 5 and 7 inches across. The pockets are not very deep and the waffles tend to be an even texture all the way through. Standard waffle makers often cook several waffles at a time, creating clear divisions between multiple waffles for easy cutting.
    Belgian Waffle Makers: Belgian waffles are thicker than their standard counterparts, but they tend to be the same size across. Belgian waffles are often circular and require a more time-intensive recipe to create. These waffles are crispy on the outside, moist on the inside, and have deep pockets

http://bestwafflemakerratings.com/

Based on that I think we have a Belgium waffle maker. We have a very large family and DH researched it and got this one.
    http://www.amazon.com/Waring-WMK200-...m+waffle+maker

We used to have the one with the hearts and like the ones that flip the waffle better as the result is an almost perfect waffle. We use whatever waffle recipe we want and have never noticed that the Belgium waffle iron needed a specific batter.
    Last edited by Annaquilts; 11-27-2015 at 05:39 PM.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    thanks Anna, so the round ones are Belgium? Never knew that. thanks
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Belgian have larger and deeper square holes than regular waffles. Either one can be round or square. I would suggest getting an older Sunbeam model in a thrift store, if you can. Those old Sunbeam appliances from the 50's and 60's are indestructible.

Thanks everyone for all your replies! I'm going to spend some time looking at all your links. I've kind of avoided thrift store buys even tho they often have the 'old fashioned' version I'm looking for, only bc I don't expect one from there to live very long if it works at all. Maybe I shoud reconsider....
    Quiltingcandy, you can come over for waffles anytime you like! I will even get those dollar store or frozen ones for now. Just bring your sewing machine with you. I'll even supply a wip or ufo to keep you busy while we wait on the toaster.
    Annaquilts...your explanation is perfect. I'm not a fan of deep pockets...at least in this case.
    Geri B...I LOVE your ideas.

Don't be too afraid of the thrift store variety. Consider price and take a chance. The waffle iron I have is one my mother bought for me when I was first setting up housekeeping some 45 yrs ago. She was helping with a group yard sale when a fellow came through with this waffle iron--priced at 25 cents. She commented that she wished she had seen that for her daughter and he responded that he had several and she could have it! It badly needed a new cord so I bought one at the local hardware store, replaced it and have been using it ever since. Makes wonderful waffles. The thing to remember about the old ones is to not destroy the tempering once you've begun using them. Made before teflon, etc. Just brush out the crumbs or maybe wipe with a damp cloth, if necessary. I use the recipe in my well-worn Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.(also about 45 yrs old!--both front and back are loose as are many pages but still my favorite recipes)

Last sentence regarding old cookbook....yes I have one too...given to me by my dad, who at the time worked for the printing company that produced these....falling apart, literally, but still a lot of times my go-to cooking bible.....also the family bible was given the same way...and it too has seen its wear.......

I would be very leery of altering electrical cords. Buy a new waffle iron. Imho. Not worth burning the house down to save a few $$.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    I hate Belgian Waffles as does my family. It is hard to find one that isn't but Proctor Silex makes one called the Morning Baker Waffle Iron. I bought mine on Amazon for $39.99.

Blog Entries
    I found this classic waffle maker on amazon.

Cuisinart waffle maker
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Below is a link to a waffle maker like the one I have. Although the listing says "Belgian" waffle maker it looks like my, classic, waffle maker and several reviewers say that too. I've had mine for maybe 10+ years. Don't use it too much but when I do I love it. I make a regular batch from the Bisquick box recipe. We don't need that many waffles at once but what I do is take the extra batter and make more waffles but under-cooking them (only until I can pull them off the grids) so I can freeze them. Then when I toast them(or use toaster oven to heat up) they don't get over done.
    Sally

Last year I bought the Calphalon No Peek Waffle Iron. We love it. It makes a great waffle that is a cross between a regular waffle and a Belgian waffle. It is slightly thicker and deeper dents than a regular waffle, just perfect size. True non stick surface and makes them really fast. Crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside. But it is somewhat pricy. Bought it from Amazon.
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

We have a new Waring Pro Belgium waffle maker. We had an older model that made one waffle at a time but wore that one out after many years of weekly usage (the hinge finally broke---not repairable).
    We purchased another one same brand) that makes 2 large waffles at a time. The waffle maker flips and does one on the top and one on the bottom.. WE LOVE IT! and use it constantly.

So....this is the one I bought:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-WMR-...Classic-Waffle
    It's RED! It makes great waffles, & it has 5 "pick your crispyness" choices. The waffle maker tells you when it's ready according to your choice. Love that. Only downside....they are pretty small....8" diameter. So I just make more!