Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning the freezer.

Blog Entries

Cleaning the freezer.

I'm glad that's over with! I start out having shelf for each different food items but end up with things being put where they will fit. Does anyone have an organized freezer system that works?
    Got fabric?

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I'm glad that's over with! I start out having shelf for each different food items but end up with things being put where they will fit. Does anyone have an organized freezer system that works?
    congratulations on the attempt.. we used our freezer hard when we had a garden the neighbor farmer used his tractor to plow for us.. plus a side of beef every February bonus.

I just now keep odds and ends in the freezer.. Remember the meet on top.. easiest to reach, a standup freezer with tall door, not a rectangel one you had to bend down in.

We also used a food service that filled our freezer every quarter. meats on top.. veggies next. potatoes shredded or french fries last shelf. Cheeses on side of door with juices. they were the ones to organize as they unloaded their truck...Wish for that service now.. but think that is no longer available since the big box stores are out here now. cheeper in those..

good luck !
    Sometimes you just have to sit in a chair and jog in order to get anywhere.
    Ell

Power Poster
    My system is to tell my husband what I want and have him fetch it. Evil aren't I?

I'm with you, Tartan.

My mom had a huge freezer she refused to give up but couldn't reach the bottom. We took pieces of Styrofoam and filled the freezer cavity half way. Now she just uses the top half! We could also have used gallon jugs of water but we couldn't find enough jugs.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Thats about as much fun as cleaning the oven...

Blog Entries
    I have a self cleaning oven and I clean it at least twice a month! It's so easy to just push the button. I love pushing that button and knowing I'm cleaning the oven. The top is a smooth top so it's simple to wipe clean. I use to have to soak the burners, scrub the inside of the oven and get brown stuff everywhere. Never ever again. Tomorrow the fridge! No Wed. is the fridge, guild tomorrow.
    Got fabric?

The thought of household jobs such as freezer cleaning, oven cleaning.......I can think of almost anything I'd rather do. That being said, once the task is completed, what a good feeling to know you've purged, re-organized and honestly know your inventory. About two weeks ago, Hubby must have been incredibly bored and decided to clean the upright freezer in the cellar. Best part about it, was I had carefully wrapped four yummy portions of homemade lasagna this fall and forgotten about it. Tasted even better the second time and I didn't have to cook for two nights. Certainly an "ah ha moment"

My DSIL opened my fridge just to hear the echo. Not much in there. Lol. I buy enough food to make it through the week. No waste that way.

I have a side-by-side refrigerator/freezer and a wonderful system of organization. If I put something on a shelf and it doesn't slide off, that's where it goes.

Blog Entries
    NO, freezers are not designed with the purpose of staying neat! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

We have a stand up freezer with shelves. To keep it organized we use plastic baskets on the shelves labeled with the contents of each basket, chicken, beef, pork, etc. New items go in the back of the baskets making sure we follow the first in first out rule. Husband works at a grocery store so organization is really nice in our house, can goods are alphabetical and all facing same direction.

We have a chest freezer that we have had for ages and it belonged to my inlaws before that! I hate cleaning it and have a hard time reaching the bottom. It holds a lot, but I am convinced it also harbors the doorway to a black hole because stuff disappears in there never to be seen again. I would like to get a newer upright, but haven't convinced DH yet. 2 of our cats are raw feeders and we buy their meat every 3 months so we need the space.
    I have a hard time keeping things organized in there and have tried several things too, non of them seem to help for long. I was in Sears for a filter for the fridge and opened a chest freezer- they now come with plastic dividers in them! How brilliant is that? Why didn't they think of that when ours was made 30 years ago? Haha
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Blog Entries
    I've decided to reporpose my small freezer. I'm going to clean/dry thouroughly, add a net bag or two of kitty litter on the bottom and use it to store fabrics. We no longer need that much food for the two of us. We are lazy to boot and often get carry out. If you haven't heard of it, there is a girl from Canada who has a cd called a 100 ways to hide your stash or something close to it. What a stitch, and I'm thinking more like her every day.
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

Didn't like our upright freezer. When something would accidentally hold the door ajar, the whole thing would defrost and there was, not only the mess but, lost food. Have a chest-type now but individual packages of things would get lost there. Now I save those nice orange mesh bags --the large ones--and put like items in those. Has helped a lot.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    My system is to tell my husband what I want and have him fetch it. Evil aren't I?
    NO Tartan is one smart woman !LOL

Love my freezer for all the goodies from the garden .. I organize the same (meats, veggies etc...) makes it nice to go out and shop in the freezer when everyone else is going to the store.. LOL

Reading seed catalogs, planning garden !! LOL COME ON SPRING !!!!
    Last edited by Caswews; 02-19-2013 at 07:34 AM.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I bought a frost free freezer. I never have to defrost it. Did that for years-never again!
    Mine isn't very organized. If it doesn't fall out, that's where it stays.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Blog Entries
    I traded my old fridge and chest freezer in for a new AMANA fridge with a bottom freezer and I truly love it. Both freezers were stuffed in the old ones and I still had lots of room in the new one.And now I can keep it organized -heck I can find things blind-folded. My first fridge had a bottom freezer and I've always wanted another one and with this one my light bill dropped over $35 a month -she's pd for herself in only 11 months

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs. fitz View Post
    I have a side-by-side refrigerator/freezer and a wonderful system of organization. If I put something on a shelf and it doesn't slide off, that's where it goes.
    That is a perfect plan. I've been using it too. ;-)

Blog Entries
    I have a self cleaning oven and I clean it at least twice a month! It's so easy to just push the button.
    Now wait just a cotton-pickin' minute. How the heck does that work?? I've had 2 so-called self-cleaning ovens, and the only thing that happens is everything that spilled on the bottom of the oven gets burnt on even more than it originally was. I STILL have to use Easy-Off. Am I doing something wrong?

By the way, I just cleaned my oven last week, on the SAME day I went to the dentist and had NO cavities. I celebrated by making brownies. I won't tell you how many I ate.
    Last edited by Peckish; 02-19-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
    I bought a frost free freezer. I never have to defrost it.
    I'm exactly the opposite - had a frost-free freezer for years and got tired of freezer-burnt foods. Got one that wasn't frost-free and haven't thrown out a single thing since!

Blog Entries
    Life's too short to worry about a disorganized freezer. Mine came with 2 baskets that hang from the top then I bought 3 white plastic baskets. All my meat and chicken are packed in meat keepers which I can stack. Small things go in the baskets. Tidy enough, end of story.

My little freezer has a bad seal so have to put cans of paint on it to make it tight. This spring I intend to unplug it and get someone to haul to the dump. It sh help on my electric bill considerably. My side by side refrig, who knows what is in there. maybe I will clean it out soon. I am told it costs less to operate full than empty, so I postpone cleaning it out.

Blog Entries
    the last time I cleaned my freezer I found 6 cones of thread in a baggie that had fallen from the door into the "bottomless pit". I use to freeze my thread when I had a Tin Lizzie and lots of thread breaks (freezing helped with that). My new Nolting does not suffer from that disorder.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewmom View Post
    We have a chest freezer that we have had for ages and it belonged to my inlaws before that! I hate cleaning it and have a hard time reaching the bottom. It holds a lot, but I am convinced it also harbors the doorway to a black hole because stuff disappears in there never to be seen again. I would like to get a newer upright, but haven't convinced DH yet. 2 of our cats are raw feeders and we buy their meat every 3 months so we need the space.
    I have a hard time keeping things organized in there and have tried several things too, non of them seem to help for long. I was in Sears for a filter for the fridge and opened a chest freezer- they now come with plastic dividers in them! How brilliant is that? Why didn't they think of that when ours was made 30 years ago? Haha
    That's exactly what my freezer is like - over 30 years old and still works just fine - the freezer items just crawl down to the bottom of the freezer, lost forever!!!!!!! I am so glad there is another freezer and freezer owner like me!!!! Good going Sewmom, if you can't fight 'em, join 'em!!!!!! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Mine is a drawer on the bottom of a french door frig. I can usually see what's in there, because there isn't much. Because of the weather/power situation here, and after losing freezers full of food, I don't keep much in there anymore. Lucky I am retired and am close to grocery stores, so can go often if I want.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast