Cleaning out the kitchen

Old 01-22-2018, 12:12 PM

Congratulations on your clean out.
I plan on moving this summer and have finished my first round of going through "stuff" in closets, drawers, cabinets, under-the-bed, etc. Amazing what I have already pulled out. I plan on going through it all again a second and even third time as I don't want to pay for moving stuff I don't need, want, or use.

Of course, everything in the sewing room is stuff I need - just kidding. That will definitely be my hardest room to go through.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:37 PM

I have a very small kitchen so there are not a lot of extras - it seems like it at times because I have pots for when I do my canning. At Christmas I decided to make a bunch of different cookies - my DD's never did care for baking, even when they were little so it had been about 30 years since I made cookies. I thought I had given away all my cookie cutters but found them in one of the pots - so I even got to make sugar cookies. Yesterday we made lemon bars - my daughter had a box mix she was sure wouldn't be made unless she brought it over.
So some reason the utensil drawer does seem to get overloaded - not sure how it happens but it does, so we clear it out every few years.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
We married two years ago...I'm his third wife (over 45 years). We have a large (huge) walk in pantry...it's stuffed with so much that previous wives didn't want to take with them, plus his stuff and mine that you can't find anything. I'm threatening to clean it out and take to Salvation Army. Who needs 10 cookie sheets, and 8 mixing bowls, plus old coffee pots and bread machines, toaster ovens anyway? I told him to speak up now because I'm only keeping what I use and want.
We just bought a cottage, so I am not downsizing anything until I see what I need in the kitchen. I always use 2 breadmakers--one for Gluten Free bread, since it is so expensive and difficult to find in our area.
I am always looking for breadmakers that work. I enjoy baking so the poor cottage will be stuffed before long.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

That always feels good. We moved about 2 years ago and let go of a lot of things. This is a bigger house with a basement and the previous owners built in shelves so i have plenty of room. I tried to put everything from the old kitchen which was bigger, into this one, and then realized I could move less used things to the basement and just go get them when I need them. And I'm glad I haven't gotten rid of anything because now and then I want what is downstairs. I keep a donation bag going and do still get rid of things I know I won't use again.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:09 PM

I have four tables full of stuff and the floor around one table. Even my cutting table is full and my coffee table. I have to pack it up and put in garage until it is time for the sale. What does not sell will go to thrift shop. I cannot believe all the stuff I have. About thirty Arby xmas glasses all different sizes. Do you remember them? One set of china and Three sets of xmas dishes. Why ???? Must be insane!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:12 AM

my husband cleaned out my utensil drawer
he wanted to know why I had 20 spatula's and almost that many wooden spoons
now each are on opposite ends of the drawer

I still have the metal spatula I was given when I got married the first time in 68, a friend put new rivets in it for me. I love it because it is very thin and can get under anything. I have looked for years for a second one just in case but never found one so I guard it with my life.

I also gave my toaster to one of my kids from 68 and wish I had it back. Can't find one that works that good so I just keep buying toasters

Last edited by Bueniebabe; 01-23-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:36 AM

It seems that I am always in need of a spatula. So at an Amish garage sale I purchased one for 10 cents. It looked almost new. One of the first things I made was a two layer cake. It was in the oven almost done when I washed up the dishes. To my horror, my new spatula was missing about 3/4 of the rubber part which had disintegrated somewhere. The only place left to look was in the cake batter.

Well Heaven only know what was wrong with that spatula, so I just threw the whole thing out.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:44 AM

I started on the "clean out vibe" when my daughter loaned me the Marie Kondo book a few years ago. I had a great first go, and the stuff went to a homeless charity garage sale fundraiser, which pleased me to not send it to the dump, and not have to do the garage sale myself. In the meantime, I need to do a second go round - stuff keeps multiplying in closets, I swear! So great job - I know it feels good to get that stuff out of the Zone! And the very mention of it heartens me to start the second layer here!
Old 01-23-2018, 10:31 AM

We retired about a year and a half ago and decided to sell the house and go RVing full time. We had three yards sales but a lot of stuff was basically given away. (On a side note we should have had extra help as we had several things stolen.) Of coarse we have kept some family items and special things in a storage locker but it really is very freeing to have all that gone. We told the kids they are lucky they won't have to deal with all of that when we die. I don't do as much baking or cooking as I used to and I find that I just don't want to own or possess like I used to. My mother was a packrat and having graduated during the depression, was always of the mindset that you might need that item tomorrow. I am doing much better now at being close to a minimalist. Mind you in a 36' motorhome, you don't have much choice.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:06 PM

. About thirty Arby xmas glasses all different sizes. Do you remember them? One set of china and Three sets of xmas dishes. Why

not sure I remember Arby's but Taco Time was my brand. Used to give them away in sets of 6. Still have two that I just hang on to. Those were fun times in my life!!!