Cleaning Raggedy Ann

Old 04-18-2016, 02:39 AM
Evy

Interesting timing, I was wondering about mine. I have a 35 or 36 inch Raggedy Ann that's been sitting in a rocking chair in the bedroom for at least 35 years. She's gotten a new apron over time, but definitely needs a bath. Will be interesting to see what the responses are. Mine has been vacuumed and set outside a few times in the shade to "air out" but have never washed her. Her face is painted with the old "Tri Chem" liquid embroidery. That would be the same paint my then 3 yr old daughter used for eye makeup when I was sitting not 5 feet away working on said doll. She had her back to me standing by a table and turned around with a "look at me, mommy, eye makeup". ER docs said let it wear off the remover was worse than the paint!
Old 04-18-2016, 04:17 AM

If you decide to wash it stuff it into an old pair of panty hose head first. That protects the arms, legs and hair.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:37 AM

What about using some backing soda in a pillow case first, then putting it in the dryer in a pillow cars to fluff with cool air only that should work to refreshing the doll are also getting the dust off her.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

I was going to suggest putting her in a pillowcase, that is until I read further down that she's 35". Many years ago I used to make and sell Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls at craft fairs with my sister. Someone asked if the doll was washable, so I went home threw my daughter's Ann in the washer in a pillowcase and then in the dryer and she came out fine. The only other thing I can think of is having her dry cleaned. I have that pattern, but have never made one that big, although now that we have a granddaughter my son has been asking me to make a set for Zoe, so maybe for Christmas.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:16 PM

Because my DDs had a thing for stuffed friends, I had to figure out how to clean them. My method never cause any "deaths" so I can recommend it. I would use a new pair of panties and safety pins to cover the yarn hair making sure it was not roughed up, put the whole thing into a pillow case, secure the pillow case closed with a 'metal free' ponytail holder. Wash on a gentle cycle in cold water with woo lite. I put them in the dryer for about twenty minutes to start them drying, then used a clothes pin to attach it to a clothes hanger, and hung it on the shower rod. They were usually dry in a day or two at most. No muss, no fuss, and they were really clean.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
I was going to suggest putting her in a pillowcase, that is until I read further down that she's 35". Many years ago I used to make and sell Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls at craft fairs with my sister. Someone asked if the doll was washable, so I went home threw my daughter's Ann in the washer in a pillowcase and then in the dryer and she came out fine. The only other thing I can think of is having her dry cleaned. I have that pattern, but have never made one that big, although now that we have a granddaughter my son has been asking me to make a set for Zoe, so maybe for Christmas.
For a doll this size, pin it into a loose burrito using a twin sheet, them wash as above.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:34 AM

Years ago I sewed for a doll collector she washed the clothes with foaming denture tablets as it foamed by hand. She said it would save the old cloth.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Briet View Post
Hi Friends

I made a large Raggedy Ann doll for my daughter 40 (!) years ago and it has sat in a chair for years. Can anyone give me some advice on cleaning the doll. I've washed and ironed the clothing, but the body and hair is so dusty. I don't remember what I stuffed the doll with, but the hair is yarn. Remember finishing her up about 3 am on Christmas Eve!!! lol Five year olds have no idea what their parents go through! Tia in advance for any help.

Shelor
Vacuum her!
Old 04-20-2016, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

I use to clean my daughters using a mesh bag, cold water and gentile wash cycle...It always came out great.