Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cleaning Velcro

Blog Entries

Cleaning Velcro

I know i've read this somewhere-how do you clean velcro to get it to stick well again? My husband has to wear wraps around his legs that have velcro closures. They are getting difficult to make stay closed now. any ideas? These things cost $600.00 and i doubt Medicare will pay for another set. these only have the nubby (sticky) side of the velcro, not the soft side. they stick to the wraps (what ever they are made of).

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have an old mascara brush I use. Also, if you have a pair of clippers usually a small stiff brush is used to clean them. Those are good for cleaning Velcro.

Power Poster
    Are the hooks full of threads and fuzzies? I use a hair brush cleaner that I got at the $ store. It has little wires ....I'll take a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to look for one of these. Covers more area. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Are the hooks full of threads and fuzzies? I use a hair brush cleaner that I got at the $ store. It has little wires ....I'll take a picture.

Blog Entries
    yes, thanks. the velcro looks full if fuzzies. the wrap that goes around the leg is like a foam of some sort. The velcro is supposed to stick to that when you pull it tight with all your might. I will look for something like the brush shown.

I just looked at the sandal's I'm wearing and they have a velcro strap with gunk in the spikey part. I took a pair of tweezers, left them open, and ran the tips in the direction of the rows. It loosened the gunk enough to pull it out. You could also use strong tape, once loosened, to pull the gunk out. That would work in a pinch until you can find Tartan's brush. The brush looks like a good thing to have for numerous tasks, Tartan. Will have to look for one.

If you can't find one, maybe a curry comb would work(feed store, pet supply store). It has wire like that but lots more on a "brush". It is used for combing clumps of fur out of a pet's coat.

Power Poster
    I just take a long straight pin and slide it next to the backing of the velcro and then lift up. It's a bit tedious, but it does work.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    yngldy mentioned a curry comb, and that reminded me of something I use to clean my horses' feet before trimming them -- brass bristle brushes. I've got two, one fine and one coarse, the bristles about half an inch wide by three inches long. The bristles are relatively fine and closely spaced. They are similar to the type of brush you can get to clean your grill, though those brushes are fairly wide and flat. The bristles have a little give to them, so they shouldn't destroy the velcro. I'll try to remember tomorrow to try them on my sneaker velcro to see if they work as well as I think they will. You can get them in places like Tractor Supply or Home Depot, and probably in some Walmarts or any hardware store. I think they are used for cleaning pipes for welding or soldering.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I swear, you learn something amazing on this board every day!!
    It never had occurred to me to 'clean' velcro. Way cool ideas, ladies!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Do a Google search for "velcro cleaner" and you will find several brushes sold just for this purpose.

Debbie

I use an old table fork to clean my hairbrushes. I will have to look for this tool! Who knew?
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I swear, you learn something amazing on this board every day!!
    It never had occurred to me to 'clean' velcro. Way cool ideas, ladies!

Jan in VA
    I agree 100% with Jan, ask a question and you shall receive an answer. Where else can you find such a wealth of information besides right here on our quilting board, and as usual we need to think outside of the box.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

T.
    They make & sell just about everything don't they? I also heard that they even make a small thing to clean those straws that are in the new double-wall plastic glasses too.

pet brushes work too

Blog Entries
    I just use a round toothpick, easy and cheap!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

After seeing Tartan's tip I googled and found this - and you probably already have a roll of tape somewhere around the house.
    http://lifewhereweare.com/2012/how-t...-and-easy-tip/
    Pat

Blog Entries
    I use the same thing that I use to get off all those threads around the bar of my vacuum; my seam ripper.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T. View Post
    They make & sell just about everything don't they? I also heard that they even make a small thing to clean those straws that are in the new double-wall plastic glasses too.
    Those I can deal with and you can buy packages of the straws really cheap. The ones that they don't sell and get really nasty are the short straws in kids sippy cups. The kids lay the cup down and by the time you find it, you just want to throw it away because that straw is never coming clean again.
    Judy

cleaning velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy Gram View Post
    Do a Google search for "velcro cleaner" and you will find several brushes sold just for this purpose.

Debbie
    I hated the sneakers my grandkids had because of the velcro. After washing they would be full of linty stuff so I scooped it out with a seam ripper.
    Chris
    Third star to the right and straight on til morning.....