Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Closing ceremonies?

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Closing ceremonies?

Is it just me or is anyone else (Stateside) finding the sound of the closing ceremonies really "off"? The opening should have been dramatic, Ms. Sande should have been melodic, the cars driving round, the people walking.....all just felt like, "yeah, so....? It's the sound!! NBC's equipment isn't picking it up well at all! I can only imagine how wonderful it must sound within the coliseum!

Disappointing so far,

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Jan, I am with you on this one. The closing ceremonies aren't doing it for me at all!
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

That sculpted face of John Lennon in the center of the floor.....one had to really be quick to see that's what it was. The cameras gave it almost no play at all. It's hard to feel like you are seeing stadium performances. I'm not usually so critical!! But I've been waiting 2 weeks with great anticipation to see this and I'm frustrated, LOL!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills

Blog Entries
    I feelthe same way
    Lennons face ...a fourtue to mke only a secnd on thescreen.
    My dh wants to know what the mod look was

Blog Entries
    Srry
    Mod movement

The sound seems off to me, too, Jan. Guess it's just not going to be like being there.

It was good sound here in Canada!
    I thought they did a great job of showing us the whole production.

Keep in mind, it's a massive venue ... and without a dress rehearsal.
    Similarly, the TV cameras wouldn't have had that preview to figure out how to cover it.

Plus ... it has been a quick paced program, so in all fairness, they really don't have much of a chance to capture things, and then they're gone!

The live show was immediately followed by a re-play!! It'd kind of nice to catch parts of it again!!

The show is outstanding ... JIMHO!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    Srry
    Mod movement
    A slightly over-simplified explaination of the movement but I think enough to get the gist . Since I moved here I have wondered how it translated here on Long Island, if at all. I've done a little research but not enough to satisfy. One day when all of my UFOs are done I may have to take it up more seriously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_(subculture)

I truly loved the closing as much as the opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
    Jan, I am with you on this one. The closing ceremonies aren't doing it for me at all!
    Ditto. I'm watching the rerun of it (evidently) & this far... huh? The "Stomp" thing was cool but other than that... maybe they're saving the "wow" till later...
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

An also-ran for the women’s Olympic gymnastic team

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaR7G...eature=related

Blog Entries
    At least they featured his best song in the world IMHO "Imagine". Great place to play it with all the countries there.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I was irritated by NBC...the coverage was OK...content was good...enjoyed the Monty Python bit very very much. But, I can't believe that NBC stopped the tape of the show to put on a second rate sitcom, Animal Hospital (?) and then the news and THEN put on the end of the closing ceremonies...which included The Who.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

I usually enjoy wathcing both the opening ceramony and the closing ceramony, but I didn't like the ceramonies at all this! They seemed so disjointed.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    It was good sound here in Canada!
    I thought they did a great job of showing us the whole production.

Keep in mind, it's a massive venue ... and without a dress rehearsal.
    Similarly, the TV cameras wouldn't have had that preview to figure out how to cover it.

Plus ... it has been a quick paced program, so in all fairness, they really don't have much of a chance to capture things, and then they're gone!

The live show was immediately followed by a re-play!! It'd kind of nice to catch parts of it again!!

The show is outstanding ... JIMHO!
    I can only wonder if you Canadians had your own TV stations doing your reporting there, then. Our complaint was not with the show itself, I think it must have been fabulous. NBC's reporting in the States....not so much!! They have had a lot of bad press over the Olympics this time; the complaint isn't just mine.

I finally ended up watching some PBS show on Helen of Troy.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills

Blog Entries
    I liked some bits like stomp, and Eric Idle, and the goth ship. Not sure about Jessie J's outfits (good voice though). I think the sound of the rush hour was meant to be disjointed to evoke the emotion of the rushing city. Could have done without that and I could DEFINITELY have done without the spice girls. Didn't anyone realize that spice has an expiration date? lol
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I can only wonder if you Canadians had your own TV stations doing your reporting there, then.
    Yes we have our own Canadian TV stations.
    CTV had the Olympic rights this time, as well as the Vancouver Winter Olympics two yrs ago.

The IOC announced early in these Olympics that CBC would be allowed the coverage for the next winter and summer Olympics.

The same will happen in the USA.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

I thought the closing was just a big old rock concert. I loved the Beatles, and the Lennon video, bits here and there, but it didn't keep my interest as those ceremonies usual do. I enjoy watching the competitors all partying together, having a good time. QuiltE, my guess is your TV did a better job of broadcasting. I agree NBC cut thing up too much, and spent WAAYYY too much time gushing about the American winners, and such. I love the stories of athletes from around the world, but wish they didn't stop in the middle of an event to show really schmaltzy bits.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

I didn't watch the whole thing, I didn't get it.
    Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
    I was irritated by NBC...the coverage was OK...content was good...enjoyed the Monty Python bit very very much. But, I can't believe that NBC stopped the tape of the show to put on a second rate sitcom, Animal Hospital (?) and then the news and THEN put on the end of the closing ceremonies...which included The Who.
    What??? There was MORE??? I missed The Who!!!!!!! DRAT!! I went to bed!!

I am totally disappointed in the way NBC handled the entire broadcast from start to finish. Never cared for Costas before and like him less every two years he attempts to ruin one of the only sporting events I watch. I miss McKay!!!

I'll have to see if I can find the remainder of the closing ceremony (which I DID enjoy) on demand - like I had to do so I could see ANY of the equestrian events that NBC completely ignored.

Loved the Monty Python bit ... would have preferred Eric Idle sing the Universe song though - and they missed a great opportunity to have knights with coconuts!! But I loved the roller skating nuns with Union jack knickers!!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Personally I did not care for the closing ceremonies, maybe it was the sound that was so irrating. I kept asking hubby, do we need to turn it up or what? I ended up finding something else to watch. I did enjoy Lennon at the beginning and like someone else mentioned I barely had time to figure out that was his face. Not overly pleased with the entire coverage from NBC, but I guess it was better than not having any.
    Amythyst

Disappointing at best. The sound was awful and most of it was boring. Sorry, but I was expecting spectacular and it wasn't. JMHO
    Wendy in VA

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Blog Entries
    I thought it was won derful

Admittedly biased because my husband worked for ABC Sports and had some connection with several Olympics broadcasts, we both felt the announcers weren't prepared - didn't name a lot of the athletes etc. - and the coverage was only okay. I was able to go to two Olympics with him and it's a thrill you can't explain to actually be there. Standing for a national anthem of the winner, even if it isn't the USA, is a privilege and a special moment.

seemed like a too long half-time show to me.

I too had trouble not only with the closing but opening ceremony. Seemed disjointed without continuity. I'm spoiled living in Calif. with the Hollywood influence. The music sounded warbly. I don't think it was NBC's fault, but the producers of the program. Just seemed off a bit to me. Didn't impress.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast