College for Autistic kids

Old 11-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kylenstevesmom
Originally Posted by Aunt Retta
So cool! I have taught many Autistic students. I also had an foster son for three years that had aspburgers(high functioning Autism.)
Sometimes his reasoning skills were unique. One rainy day he got wet on the way to school. At recess the teachers kept telling him to stay out of the water, later I got a phone call and he had to stay in for some recesses. When he got home I asked him what was up with that. He said he was already wet so he didn't need to stay out of the water.

He was totally serious, that is what he really thought. He was sooo mad at the teacher that made him stay in.
This is my son Stephen to a T...

We had a huge meeting at school today and several times someone had to point out to the teacher, does she think Stephen realizes that you can't make comments about people, do you think Stephen KNOWS what to do in social situations? The answer was no, I'm hoping by the end of it she's caught on!
Sara has had this same problem and continues to have it at times. Zach hit his aide when she made him do what he didn't want to do. So they took him to sit in the principals office. He didn't really think I'm not supposed to hit. I am in trouble. All he knew was that he got out of doing what he didn't want to do. There was no benefit or any teaching him in sitting him down in the office. It is hard for people to understand what their thought processes are. They don't see the world the way we do. Learning to fit in is so hard for them when they don't see things the same way we do.
Sara or I would have put him in a short timeout maybe 3 mins for hitting and then made him go to music class which is what he didn't want to do. Making him follow through is what teaches him to do what he has to do not putting him in disgrace because he doesn't understand disgrace. It is meaningless to him.