College graduates?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:48 PM

lol
Old 01-05-2011, 07:20 PM

For some people no amount of education can teach them good old fashioned common sense! :roll:
Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by mommaB
My son is in hock to his eyeballs, and unfortunately I'm cosigned on half :| His degree is in mech engineering from a very good engineering school (hence the in hock part!) He co-op'ed for a total of 2 or so years. That company is not hiring now..not even co-op kids. And there were jobs to be had when we started this adventure. (the school he went to boasted a 98% employment rate for grads. Now he's done, there are no jobs. He is articulate, shows up to any interview in a suit looking sharp and clean (and I mean any..right now he's temp part time plowing snow at the airport!!) What makes me really nuts is that hardly any company actually does any recruiting other than on-line. How impersonal is that? You never get a name to respond to, you can't check back with someone..you know how we were taught to send a note to say thanks for reviewing my resume have you made any decisions yet? Now a days you just send your info off into the black box and hope something comes back, find yourself a head hunter to find you a job, or hope somebody picks your resume up off of monster jobs!! (Is there really that much insurance to sell??? )I'm sure glad I'm not looking for work these days (Thank God!)

I'd be hard pressed to say the education was worth the expense or time. And I don't think many jobs will come back..they're all going overseas where production is cheap and unregulated. But I keep hoping..otherwise what little I have will be taken by the student loan people :?
Is your son on Linked-In? That is a good site to find, and get introductions to, people who work at companies he may be interested in. PM me if your son needs a contact to get him started.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:00 PM

Years ago if a person went in for an interview they went into the interview in their Sunday best but not anymore. I went to school for NDT (nondestructive testing). The school was really good with helping students to the point of allowing students to talk with interviewers and what they looked for well before they were even ready to graduate. ALL said they wanted potential employees to "dress" for the part. Such as, if someone walked in with a suit and tie on they wouldn't even consider them 'cause they would be afraid that person might be afraid to get dirty. For them nice jeans without holes and top(such as a golf type shirt or button up shirt without tie and 1-2 buttons unbuttoned) were perfect choices as it showed them the person would not be afraid to get dirty but was still clean enough to show they have respect. Today potential employees need to research the environment of the company they wish to work for. If the employees wear shorts applicants should wear accordingly. If the employees wear suits and ties then suit and tie it is to the interview.