Color Blindness - - -

Old 08-09-2017, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

Default Color Blindness - - -

From what I've read, some people can "see" okay, but how they perceive colors is "different" from the majority of people.

Other than the "can you see the number/design" types of tests - how do people discover they are color blind?

Along with being "color-blind" - do you think there might be a "super-awareness" of colors?
Old 08-09-2017, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

I know few men who are colored blind. They can't tell blue from brown, don't see colors as being vibrant. One just recently got the new glasses for color blindness. He is thrilled. He can see colors like he never has. He cried when he put the on. He was shocked how beautiful colors were.

There is a simple test to check for color blindness up front. A more detail test if you fail the first one.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

there are tons of people who are color blind. and not just men.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

i used to love taking the color blindness tests in school...all those pretty dots
Old 08-09-2017, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I know few men who are colored blind. They can't tell blue from brown, don't see colors as being vibrant. One just recently got the new glasses for color blindness. He is thrilled. He can see colors like he never has. He cried when he put the on. He was shocked how beautiful colors were.

There is a simple test to check for color blindness up front. A more detail test if you fail the first one.
Awww... I'm so happy for him. Everyone deserves to see and hear.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:02 AM

Wow, that's amazing! I didn't know there were glasses for color blindness. How wonderful!

We had a guy that worked for us who had partial color blindness. There were some colors he couldn't differentiate.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
there are tons of people who are color blind. and not just men.

I never said men were the only ones. I said I knew a few men who were. I guess I should go find a female to know, who is color blind so I won't come across as color blind prejudiced against tons of people.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:40 AM

My uncle was color blind and my aunt use to put all of his clothes into matching sets before hanging them in the closet or in the dresser drawers. And she never let him mix up the punch at family gatherings after the one time he put lime sherbet in the orange punch. It melted into a brown liquid that was not very pleasing to the eye. Tasted great tho'. LOL
Old 08-09-2017, 08:57 AM

My husband is colour blind and can't see the difference between colours at the same saturation level. He's a real asset to my quilt making as he sees pattern and shades before colour. I often ask him if things go together and he's able to tell me that there isn't enough contrast or too much. When he was in ROTC, he was recruited as a sniper because of his keen ability to see shapes. When we hike in the woods, he will point out a bird or animal while I'm trying to look through the leaves and not seeing it. Before meeting him, I felt sympathy for people who were colour blind, but now I see tons of benefits. NOT that I would give up my colour vision in exchange. As they say, opposites attract and it so happens I have a hyper-sensitivity to colour. I always get 100% on those tests to match colours and if there is a disharmonious bit of colour in a scene, my eye will jump to it and I have to consciously look at other places. I would love to get my husband a pair of those glasses to see colour but the cost is prohibitive. Then he could wear them and refer correctly to items. I'm always careful to not refer to something as "the green towel" but provide a different description. He doesn't think of that, so says things like "I like that blue shirt" while looking at something purple. For years he called his survival suit his "yellow suit" but it's fluorescent orange. Sometimes I correct him, usually not.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

well, i've never met any women who were color blind that I know of. I just know they are o out there. My husband was. I bought him a light red pair of slacks to go golfing in and he said they were red and wouldn't wear them. Who knows what my quilts looked like to him!
oh yes, I stopped saying purple flowers when he said blue!!