Commonly Misused Phrases

Old 11-21-2017, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
This thread is reminding me of this cartoon, about the "Alot": http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co...verything.html
i laughed at that alot!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
This thread is reminding me of this cartoon, about the "Alot": http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co...verything.html
That was Alot of fun!

I am hesitant to point out other's mistakes in grammar, as I know I have many myself. BUT, two biggies here on the board that drive me crazy are "sneak peak" and "boarders" when they mean "borders". Mountains have peaks, eyes take peeks. And boarders are people who live in your spare room and pay you. Have to ditto the "salvage" (found in the garbage) and "selvedge" (edges of fabric).

I think much of this (oops, almost said a lot) comes from people writing as they hear words spoken. For instance, "should of" sounds very much like the contraction "should've". If we all read more, and could trust what we read not to have grammar errors itself, we would be better spellers and have better understanding of proper grammar.

I've used college textbooks with Horrendous grammatical errors. One was a text by the prof. who taught the course, and he had self-published his book. Apparently no one in the college hierarchy had read the book for errors. I kept a running list of typos and errors in each chapter, and like the obnoxious student I was, dutifully sent it to the prof. each week. He thanked me, but I wondered if any changes would be made. The book was in its second printing! Yee gads! Think of all the students who had read it before me.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-23-2017 at 06:33 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-21-2017, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

What's scary is knowing that there are all those other students who were not aware of the errors!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-23-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:59 AM

Did you have a sanwich for lunch? Drives me just a little crazy... DH enunciates 'sandwich' very carefully
Old 11-21-2017, 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=sewbizgirl;7948477]
I am hesitant to point out other's mistakes in grammar, as I know I have many myself. BUT, two biggies here on the board that drive me crazy are "sneak peak" and "boarders" when they mean "borders". Mountains have peaks, eyes take peeks. And boarders are people who live in your spare room and pay you. Have to ditto the "salvage" (found in the garbage) and "selvedge" (edges of fabric).

Those examples of boarders, peaks, and salvages are tooth grinders for me, make me want to shake the writer or speaker. I always go with what sounds right because I never learned the parts of speech or the rules for use.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:08 PM

Well, I think that's how we end up with 'boarders' and 'sneak peak' and 'salvage' - it sounds right! But people aren't seeing it in writing, or if they are they aren't retaining the information. Or they've seen it typed wrong so many times they don't know which is which. And sometimes I think it's a slip of the fingers - I know I've gone back and re-read posts of mine and realized I did something similar, when I know very well what the correct word should have been.

"Boarders" when talking about a quilt always makes me smile - I imagine some kind of flying carpet pirate scene, but flying quilts instead of flying carpets. "Prepare to repeal boarders!! Arrrrr!!"
Old 11-21-2017, 02:56 PM

Had my favorite auto correct years ago. At work, writing a document, I thought I typed management, but apparently I didn't. The first auto suggestion was "madmen". I so wanted to leave that in the document....
Old 11-21-2017, 05:16 PM
Suz

Another peeve of mine: We have said nineteen fifty-three (1953). What comes after nineteen? Twenty. So why are so many saying two thousand ten (2010) rather than twenty ten? Twenty seventeen (2017)?
Old 11-22-2017, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Had my favorite auto correct years ago. At work, writing a document, I thought I typed management, but apparently I didn't. The first auto suggestion was "madmen". I so wanted to leave that in the document....
I once sent an email that included and referenced a brand-new coworker whose last name was Kimball. My email spell-check changed his last name to "Kissable" without me noticing! (Something like, "We'll ask Brian Kissable to handle phase 2") Thankfully he had a good sense of humor about it, but that was pretty embarrassing! I made sure to add "Kimball" to my computer's spellcheck dictionary right away after that, LOL.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
Another peeve of mine: We have said nineteen fifty-three (1953). What comes after nineteen? Twenty. So why are so many saying two thousand ten (2010) rather than twenty ten? Twenty seventeen (2017)?
I do hear people say "twenty-seventeen". Maybe about 50/50? I always considered it a shortcut, as it is one syllable vs. three.