Completely original?

Old 01-28-2021, 06:12 AM

I would think so. What I consider an original pattern is one that I might put different patterns together to make a whole quilt in a way I've never seen before. Right now I'm working on a panel, adding pieced sashings between each row of the panel and/or blocks. Some blocks are paper pieced, some are not, then adding a final sashing before the last border. Still consider it an original as I have to figure out the measurements myself to get everything to fit properly. Still working on one of the pieced sashings due to this issue. Whether its an original or not, I know I'll never see another quilt just like it.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:56 AM

I know a fellow who runs a long arm for a quilt shop. He turned down a job because it was too original. (ok because it was really messed up. He could not make square corners on a quilt that was 4" off on a side.

I 'll send your compliments to the ex.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:08 PM

I’m sure a couple of my early quilts were “original”. I had no clue how to cut fabric evenly (in the days before rotary cutting), sew and press pieces correctly, match seams, etc. I was totally clueless but I knew I wanted to make quilts. I did follow a pattern but I can assure you, the finished product looked nothing like it was supposed to.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:02 PM

Laughing, laughing, laughing!
Old 02-10-2021, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

yes, i do a lot of applique. sometimes, it's freehand, and other times i alter the picture.
I made a beautiful wall quilt i's like to make into a runner. how do i do it without someone
coping it. what do i have to do to copywriite it?
Old 02-10-2021, 01:33 PM

I guess it's just personal opinion but, I don't think so. There's just no way to say that it's never been done before. I do think doing a quilt in a certain way may be brand new, like when rotary cutters first came out. But, no way to know for certain.