Computer backup question

Old 11-03-2022, 05:35 AM
DJ

Default Computer backup question

This is such a large group with so much diverse knowledge that I thought I would ask this and hope someone can make a recommendation.

I would like a program for my computer that would automatically backup to a cloud that I could also access information from on my iphone. My computer is a PC, not Mac.

I appreciate any information you can share with me! TIA!
Old 11-03-2022, 05:38 AM

I do manual backup's to an external hard drive, but I think that my Norton anti-virus can be set to automatically backup my computer. I have an HP computer and possibly it can be set for automatic backups also. Look in your computers "settings" area. You might find you don't even need another program.
Old 11-03-2022, 04:30 PM

I use Dropbox and it has saved my hide many times. You just decide which files you want to put in Dropbox. And install it on whichever devices you want to be able to access it.
ETA- I use the free version.

Last edited by ptquilts; 11-03-2022 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

We use Carbonite. There is a fee and it has an app
Old 11-04-2022, 05:50 AM

When I had my last PC built, I requested an extra hard drive to be installed so I could place all my files such as receipts, statements, embroidery designs, quilting designs, patterns, recipes, etc. on that drive instead of the "C" drive. This way if the computer crashed, I should still be able to retrieve my most needed files. I also from time to time back those files onto an external 1T hard drive so if I need to take the files to my laptop, I can. Now that you think about it, I probably should back everything up as it's been awhile.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:04 AM
DJ

Thank you so much for all the information. I am giving the Carbonite free 15-day trial a go since it seems to meet my criteria. I had to call their help line and got great help, too.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:12 PM

oh dear, I am old and old thinking, I think. I usually just keep a paper copy of everything that is important. I have a few things saved on cd's but not much. I know I have some silly thinking. but I can't help thinking that the "cloud" will just float away some day. Where exactly is the "cloud" anyway. I have heard it is some big server located who knows where.
Old 11-04-2022, 02:11 PM

I put everything in one or two folders and name the according to the main projects that are in the folders. I then transfere those folders to a usb drive stick, Has been a lifesaver for several of my dinners I prepare for the holiday meals for my friends.
1 folder says simply holiday food
2 folder says COP Quilt plus -- meaning I had lots of room left over on the drive so I put lots of other quilt patterns on the usb.

I use only this system because if I have any problem with any cloud thing--some have been breeched of late--my files are still safe as they are on the usb only I I have control with each file on my usb's.
Old 11-04-2022, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

I use Adobe Acrobat pdf for document cloud storage, it's free. I have all my downloadable quilt pattern there. For photos, I use Amazon Prime photo unlimited storage The app saves all the photos from my phone to Prime. The app does the work I don't have to upload. I also have them backed up to Icloud storage.