Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Computers: How Old Is Old... >

Computers: How Old Is Old...

Computers: How Old Is Old...

Old 01-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Now you know I was kidding, right? :D
Not that there's anything wrong with shoot 'em ups and battles and grand theft auto. (yeah, right)

The thing is, Vista has just been replaced by Windows 7. If you want to keep XP, you pretty much can only get it by buying a netbook.

If you decide to move to a newer version of Windows, skip right over Vista and Windows 7, because not only was Vista much disliked, it's now becoming obsolete. With 7, you can use a classic Windows view, by the way.
you were kidding???? :shock:
OF COURSE I KNEW U WERE KIDDING!!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-45692.gif  
Old 01-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Now you know I was kidding, right? :D
Not that there's anything wrong with shoot 'em ups and battles and grand theft auto. (yeah, right)

The thing is, Vista has just been replaced by Windows 7. If you want to keep XP, you pretty much can only get it by buying a netbook.

If you decide to move to a newer version of Windows, skip right over Vista and Windows 7, because not only was Vista much disliked, it's now becoming obsolete. With 7, you can use a classic Windows view, by the way.
I don't know what it was, but I never liked Vista either.
I was thinking of a netbook, but I have to consider what DH would like too. It's not like I'm a gonna be paying cash.
This is good to know, Lisanne.:thumbup:
Old 01-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bebe
I have an ACER lap top w/ a double core that is what my computer guy suggested I get. Get the best you can afford. A laptop is great because you cng machine or anywhere you go. Best thing I could have bought. :-D bought if for myself for Christmas :thumbup:
I like the portability of a netbook, but I just got EQ for Christmas. I need a harddrive for that.
shoot!
Hmmm, maybe i'll talk to pc guy, but, hmmm, thinking, thinking...
always thinking!:roll: :XD:
Old 01-23-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
I like the portability of a netbook, but I just got EQ for Christmas. I need a harddrive for that.
Netbooks have hard drives. What you mean is, you need a CD-Rom (or a DVD) drive. You can always buy an external one that plugs into the netbook.

Does EQ need to run from a disk, or does it install right into your computer? Either way, it might be worthwhile to just buy an external CD-ROM drive along with a netbook. You also need to find out whether it can run in Windows 7.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Banned

Mousie, I can honestly say that once you go MAC you'll never go back. Now that I have an iMac for my desktop, I can't think that I'll ever use windows again. Just think, don't have to worry about virus', etc! It never slows down or crashed.

Plus, I use my ipod touch as my portable computer. It doesn't get any better than that!
Old 01-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

Every two years I buy the cheapest computer WalMart or Best Buy has. I keep the same monitor a big flat screen, just buy the tower. I pay about $250 for it. This way I'm getting the new computer speed and upgrades without shelling out a lot of cash. Right now I have the cheap E machine and it has been the best. Lightening fast and lots of free space. I won't feel bad at all in two years tossing the tower, I paid $125 for it, marked down at WalMart, as the monitor in the set was broken.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Every two years I buy the cheapest computer WalMart or Best Buy has. I keep the same monitor a big flat screen, just buy the tower. I pay about $250 for it. This way I'm getting the new computer speed and upgrades without shelling out a lot of cash. Right now I have the cheap E machine and it has been the best. Lightening fast and lots of free space. I won't feel bad at all in two years tossing the tower, I paid $125 for it, marked down at WalMart, as the monitor in the set was broken.
Wow, I had an HP we bought from Costco about 5 yrs ago, now its the grandkids computer. We had two custom built 2 yrs ago. And next upgrade is video cards, we added 4 gigs of ram last year.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned

I love Windows 7!! Vista has a lot of issues and I bought my daughter a new HP with Windows 7 Profesional, 320 gig HD, 4 gig ram, AMD Dual core 64 bit processor, built in web cam, 15.5 widescreen for the low price of $399 at Tiger Direct.com before Christmas.

Tiger Direct is the place to go if you are buying and Windows 7 is the stuff!!

Billy
Old 01-24-2010, 06:43 PM

DH bought me an Acer laptop for Christmas. I love it. It has Windows 7. It cost about $450 from HSN. It does everything I need it to do and has the ability to do alot of things I don't use. (Web cam, burn dvds, etc.) It has a 17 inch screen.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
hmmm, when you think about it, BellaBoo, that's no more than one of the high priced ones that last 4-5 maybe.
I might just do that.:-D