Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Contacts or Glasses?

I have wore contacts most of my adult life. I absolutely love them. But lately I have found that I can see better and clearer if I put my glasses on. Especially when I am sewing and piecing. My seams seem to match up better and my pints are more sharp. I was just wondering if anyone else had this same issue. I know as we get older our eyesight seems to get worse for reading. My husband had lasik done 3 years ago and he needs reading glasses for anything up close. I will be going to the eye doctor this week. Hopefully he will be able to answer this question once and for all. :-)

I have worn glasses since 5th grade. I had cataract surgery last year, 62 yo, Now I just need glasses for reading and close work.

Blog Entries
    It sounds like you are on the brink of needing reading glasses... I had the same problem a few years ago and the eye doc confirmed it.

The funny thing was, I could see better up close without my contacts/glasses than with them :roll:

I tried contacts but my eyes were to dry and they kept flipping on me I hated putting drops in all the time. Went back to glasses but now have bifocals couldn't see with the bifocal contacts.

Blog Entries
    I have worn contacts for 25 years..and I love them. I do find that I have to have readers when doing close work. But..I to find that I see better with the glasses. I just wear contacts when I am going out..glasses at home. My glasses are bifocals. You may need bifocals..!

LASIK!!! I will need either glasses or another surgery again in a few years, but starting over on the perscription scale is ok w me.

Lasik surgery here, too!!!! LOVE it! Would do it again even if I had to sell my first-born!!!

Possibley you just need stronger contact lenses. A higher prescription.

I wore contacts for years, loved them

I have worn soft contact lenses since 1974. I got them as a gift when I graduated from Jr High.
    I have thought about Lasik but......... I dont know. I can read pretty good with my contacts but last night I noticed after I had taken them out I had my glasses on and was reading a quilting magazine and I could read a little better with them slid just slightly down my nose.

I wear contacts/readers all day every day (readers just needed recently) and glasses at night. I found the same thing you did - readers fixed it. The eye doctor told me to stay away from bifocals as long as I can.

They make bi-focal contact lenses, I may need to check them out soon here. But not yet....

I wear glasses, have been for the past 8 years. Now I am dealing with a rather sore and ever growing stye on my lower eyelid. I am so tired of hot compresses.....lol

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I have been wearing glasses sense 3rd grade. I tried contacts for a while about a year ago and I couldn't see anything up close plus I was constantly fiddling with the contacts, my eyes didn't seen to like them. Also my face felt naked without my glasses on.

Banned
    I wear contacts and was experiencing the same thing as you. I finally caved in and went to the eye doctor. I was at that age where they're ready to put you in bifocals. So what she did was give me one contact for reading and sewing, and one for seeing distance. I wear them both, and it took about 2 weeks for my brain to adjust. Somehow, magically, I just see now. God help me if I ever get them mixed up though ~ then I'm in a world of trouble :) But I see so much better with contacts than glasses...

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    I wear glasses, have been for the past 8 years. Now I am dealing with a rather sore and ever growing stye on my lower eyelid. I am so tired of hot compresses.....lol
    Try using the back of a spoon. Rub it gently, do it several times a day. That is how we got rid of styes.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    They make bi-focal contact lenses, I may need to check them out soon here. But not yet....
    I've worn them for several years and love them. My vision was perfect until my mid-40's- that's when I needed reading glasses but then my distance vision started getting bad. Bi-focals contacts are perfect for me. I absolutely hate glasses and never wear them. I think it's hard to adjust to glasses when you never had to wear them, at least for that is the case for me. But I'm also grateful that I didn't until my 40's as so many people wear glasses from an early age. My kids all have great vision too :)
    They keep coming out with great procedures for all sorts of vision problems. Someday maybe I can be free of contacts as well. For now they are fine.

LASIK! I had mine done at 49 when I was already using"double sight" glasses. One eye was corrected for distance vision and one was corrected so I could read. It was hard adjusting but well worth the trouble. It was two years ago and I can do everything except thread needles and read script on medicine boxes... I use cheap dollar store magnifying glasses for that.

Contacts were really bothering my eyes and even the expensive kind didn't correct my astigmatism correctly.

Blog Entries
    I am in readers and seem to be moving up FAST :shock: Maybe you just need new contacts :lol:

I've worn glasses since I was 9. Tried contacts once, but the dry eye thing drove me nuts (nuttier?). Now when I'm on the computor or sewing I take my glasses off because I can see better without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    Have you tried place a wet tea bag on the stye? The tanic acid in tea helps styes heal.

I wore contacts for many years then had laser. Found both great. Now I am back to glasses. Age has caught up with me.

I wear contact and use reading reading glasses for close up reading or sewing. My eye doctor suggested using readers, as I did not need stronger contact for daily wear. Or remove contacts and wear precription glasses.

I have terrible eyesight and have worn contacts for at least 35 years now. I am soon to be 54 and my eyesight has progressed to where I need bifocals so now my contacts are what they call mono-vision which is one for up close and one for distance. My brain does ok with them. However, my eyesight is so bad and there is such a disparity between my distance and up-close need that I still have a few issues that we (my eye dr and me) have not yet resolved.

For instance, I find that I do not see well at night, or in low-level lighting. My dr says that is common with women so I have a pair of glasses to put on with my contacts when I am driving at night. Now, I am finding that I really need them driving during the day, as well.

I am due for my yearly visit with her this summer and I am not sure what direction we will go next. I am tempted to have her beef up my distance vision and just get some glasses for when I am doing close up stuff like reading/hand stitching, etc. But then I am afraid I would need a differect pair of glasses for when I am sewing with my machine or using my computer. And, then, of course, there is the issue of when I am teaching/working with my kdg kids. I can just picture it now...I might very well be wearing 3 different pair of glasses on chains around my neck all day long! Isn't that a funny thought?!! LOL

I also am using mono-vision correction. One contact for close, one for distance. Problem is...nothing is ever the right distance away! I can wander down the aisle at the market and not be able to read the soup cans because they're too in-between.

I found that I need readers in addition, so buy the really cheapo ones and punch out the lens over the close-up eye so it doesn't change, and let the readers correct the distance eye. My dusk-to-dark vision isn't so great anymore, something I'm going to discuss with my doc this year.

Getting older ain't for sissies, is it?

I started wearing glasses the summer before 6th grade, switched to contacts in college. Very nearsighted!

I've always preferred not wearing either for just reading. I have bifocal glasses that I wear around the house for cleaning and things, but most of the time, they're off at home.

Now I wear readers over the contacts at work for both near and middle-distance vision (Near is reading a book. Middle is looking at a computer screen.)

I tried bifocal contacts, but I lose my 20/15 distance vision with them and don't really gain enough acuity for reading to make them worthwhile.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast