Copper Cleaner

Old 07-09-2020, 07:41 AM

Default Copper Cleaner

I'm working on my dad's old trunk that he made during the 1940's. The edges are done in old hammered copper that I would love to restore. I've tried Brasso and today I tried a lemon juice and salt solution. Does anyone have a remedy to clean and shine this copper?? Wasn't ketchup used on copper bottomed pans?
Old 07-09-2020, 07:47 AM

I use a compound called "Penny Bright" It does great on my Paul Revere pots and pans. Makes them look brand new. I only do them about once a year as that is about what it takes for a couple of the to start showing a bit of discoloring. It is a creamy paste that you apply and let it set for a moment and then wipe off. Works great!
Old 07-09-2020, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

I use Bar Keeper's Friend or Kleen King, both powders, to clean my copper bottom pots. They work very well on a flat surface, but I'm not sure how well they would do on your dad's old trunk.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:04 AM

Definitely elbow grease time. Any metal polish will work, you just need to devote several hours to the task, especially if the item is very tarnished or blackened. I used Peeks metal polish to clean a lot of copper and brass items several weeks ago, and it did take me the whole afternoon to do it, but so satisfying too. I used plenty of polish on the cloth, in a polish on, polish off type action. I also used one of those cloths with polish embedded in them (like silver cloth) for the final shine. Now, I just give them a wipe over weekly to keep them gleaming.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Brings back memories... my dad used to shine the Revere Ware pots with his drill and a sanding attachment. They were beautiful.