Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cost of Postage

Cost of Postage

Wow! I just printed out a label for a padded flat rate envelope. Up to $6.80. That's a pretty big increase from $5.25.
    I like sending "goodies" in our swaps, but this seems a bit much. What do you do? Send first class and go to the post office, pay extra for tracking? Opinions, please. I enjoy our swaps and I can afford it, but...
    Dotty in NYC

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    No matter what I send Priority Mail. Does everything I want including tracking, confirmation and less than 4 days unless a holiday or weekend. when I send to my boys this Christmas they got within 3 days. No problem. It's worth it to me and you can get insured for $50. minimum.

I mailed 4 medium size boxes this Christmas and I was semi-shocked at the cost. They did get there on time this year. Last year they got there after Christmas, days after the promised Priority time. The post office is having a lot of problems.
    Lori

In the beautiful hills of northwest Connecticut.
    I trek to the post office. They weigh it & used to give me a thousand options, but now we've got it down to a science. My packages go out first class with tracking. I used to pay extra for the tracking, but now they tell me it's included with first class. Don't really know how I was sending it prior to that, but I'm okay with first class because it takes anywhere from 2-3 days usually, but twice in the last few months the packages did not arrive on time. However, they did arrive, so I'm good with that!
    ​My soul is fed with needle & thread.

Oh, walking to the post office. Well, it is exercise. But it's next to a good bakery! What's a girl to do?!
    Dotty in NYC

Blog Entries
    The last time I was going to send 4 quilts and a set of 4 coffee cups from Toledo,Oh to where I live now it was through the post office they wanted $40 so I decided to just deliver them myself. Round trip only cost an extra $12 in gas and I had a great time visiting my family.

Both of my sons are getting married in the next year and a half. One was complaining about the high cost of postage. I told him that I didn't want a post card for his RSVP card like his cousin sent. So for Christmas I gave each of them 200 stamps. I got pretty ones that had hearts on them. They both appreciated them.

yes it is expensive to send things in the mail.
    Have a nice day and a safe one too!

Well I sent an envelope to my daughter and it arrived at her PO and then disappeared and now to claim insurance I have to produce the package to prove it was damaged. I think there is something wrong there. I paid close to $14 to mail.
    Lynda

Every time I need to ship a package or mail a large envelope, I justify the price in term of driving the package to its destination. And the time it would take me to do so. Nothin is free. Delivery being one of those things. We all like to eat too! (Employees)

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by donac View Post
    Both of my sons are getting married in the next year and a half. One was complaining about the high cost of postage. I told him that I didn't want a post card for his RSVP card like his cousin sent. So for Christmas I gave each of them 200 stamps. I got pretty ones that had hearts on them. They both appreciated them.

weddings and supporting families are not cheap dates either! Your gift of stamps is wise, practical, appreciated and most welcomed. Smart lady!

i was invited to a wedding last summer where they had a website to RSVP. Also another website called "Honey Fund"... As in donate to our honeymoon! i prefer the tradition of invitations and RSVP cards. Bit I huess that it depends on how traditional the wedding itself will be. (Destination vs. church mass)

sandy
    Last edited by Sandygirl; 01-26-2016 at 06:13 AM.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Postage is usually cheaper if you print it online. No trips to the PO and they pick up with your regular mail.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    weddings and supporting families are not cheap dates either! Your gift of stamps is wise, practical, appreciated and most welcomed. Smart lady!

i was invited to a wedding last summer where they had a website to RSVP. Also another website called "Honey Fund"... As in donate to our honeymoon! i prefer the tradition of invitations and RSVP cards. Bit I huess that it depends on how traditional the wedding itself will be. (Destination vs. church mass)

sandy
    I have told both my sons that I want traditional invitations even if they are printing them out themselves.

we just got invited to a shower at a bowling alley. In lieu of gifts we were asked to help fund the honeymoon trip to Italy. I just bothered my husband and I, especially since we paid for our own wedding and honeymoon and have never been to Italy. But when we were talking to a friend's daughter she saw nothing wrong with this.

Blog Entries
    Reminder - priority mail does not mean 2 day mail - THERE IS NO SUCH THING. The post office will tell you that priority will attempt to be 2 - 3 days, ask for a guarantee and watch them backpedal. Also, Express does not mean next day for almost 40% of country, it is 2 days. For next day it must be within a certain amount of miles of a postal airport. This does not mean they won't deliver in 2 - 3 days, just that you should not plan on it. I had a postal/shipping business for 28 years. I can't count how many times a customer was upset because a gift didn't make it on time when sent thru the post. With the automatic tracking numbers given, it does help in tracking and putting in a claim, but it is still a mess.

Luckily I live within a mile of the post office, so I take things there all the time. (I never mail from the house anymore.) I even like to use the self serve area. But I must admit, the last few items I have sent was via ground instead of air. The priority cost was over $40.00 via ground was $22.00. I was able to ship 2 packages for the price of one. And since it was just pieces of fabric there was no urgency to it. Using the priority boxes provided by the post office are not always the best value. If it is light in weight it can be cheaper to use your own envelopes or boxes and just pay the postage for the priority.

I have cut down on swaps I participate in especially ones you need to send more frequently.
    Anna Quilts

I was surprise that the online price for standard Priority flat envelope went from $5.25 to $5.75. I should have gotten these packages sent before Xmas.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
    I trek to the post office. They weigh it & used to give me a thousand options, but now we've got it down to a science. My packages go out first class with tracking. I used to pay extra for the tracking, but now they tell me it's included with first class. Don't really know how I was sending it prior to that, but I'm okay with first class because it takes anywhere from 2-3 days usually, but twice in the last few months the packages did not arrive on time. However, they did arrive, so I'm good with that!
    I have the same problem when I send first class with tracking sticker. It is much cheaper but it seems to get stuck somewhere for up to a week.
    Boom 12 - Short & Sweet

Blog Entries
    I always send my packages priority mail. It does come with a tracking number. The extra cost gives me a peace of mind.
    Never put off what you can do today, because tomorrow may never come.

Blog Entries
    If you send first class they give you a tracking number without extra charge. I have quilt sending Priority unless it is urgent to get a package out.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    If you send on p.o. Machine and list it as a parcel, it is much cheaper and also has a tracking number on it.
    Boom 12 - Short & Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
    Wow! I just printed out a label for a padded flat rate envelope. Up to $6.80. That's a pretty big increase from $5.25.
    I like sending "goodies" in our swaps, but this seems a bit much. What do you do? Send first class and go to the post office, pay extra for tracking? Opinions, please. I enjoy our swaps and I can afford it, but...
    The flat rate envelope did have the most insane price jump! However, now first class comes with free tracking, and you can now mail up to 1 lb. flat rate, whereas before the cutoff was 13 ounces. I use flat rate for every package that qualifies, weightwise, and they are usually delivered as fast as priority.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    When I'm sending a wall hanging I prefer to send them flat rather than folding and stuffing them into a small envelope so I will pay a few extra $s for it and be happy. The last one I mailed cost almost $10 and was over 2' square. I think it is money well spent to insure the safe arrival of the quilt to a new home. I do not have extra money to spend so I plan for the cost of mailing.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I had not realized that Priority Mail had a price increase in January, so I had to absorb the extra cost for an order I had to mail out last week. There is supposed to be a price decrease after Income Tax due time, but I don't know if it is for all mail or just 1st Class. I also find it hard to believe they would lower a price.