Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Could use some sewing advice >

Could use some sewing advice

Could use some sewing advice

Old 04-21-2011, 08:13 PM

If the uper part of the sleeve is a little larger and notches don't match, just take a basting stitch around from one notch to the other and that will help you ease in the sleeve. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:12 PM

I make allot of my own clothing from RTW, including jeans, knit cami tops, etc. Most items, except jeans, I just turn inside out, trace around it on freezer paper. Then add seam allowance. If serging seams, which I do for all knits, I add 1/4". Otherwise I add 1/2"-5/8".

I just made a summer cami top, with spaghetti straps, today. I used my serger for side seams & my coverstich machine to do the binding, straps & hem. If you don't have either machine use a overlock stitch. Always overlock the hem edge first then fold it under & stitch in place.

Wash & dry your fabric first. Some knits will shrink allot once washed. You'll want to have it preshrunk before cutting it out. For all knits use a stretch stitch & a ball point needle. If doing set in sleeves sew your shoulder seams first, then set the sleeves, then side seams, then hem it. I'd suggest trying it on as you go. You can also pin it up & slip it on before sewing. Try to stick close to the same type of fabric as the item you're making. Using a tape measure take the measurement, from RTW, of the sleeve from front underarm seam to shoulder seam. Mark your fabric, pin & sew. It should come out right then. RTW is NEVER cut like we'd do it at home. Most are wire cut in bulk & the sewer just forces it to fit. Ask me I know...worked in factory for 11 years!
Old 04-22-2011, 02:52 AM
Power Poster

Great tips! I just got some fabric to make some blouses, too!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:47 AM

Woven fabric can be cut on the bias. It allows for more comfort and stretch. I would use a specific bias cut pattern because the two techniques are not simiilar.