Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Coverlock?

Coverlock?

Who of you owns a coverlock? Is it worth buying it? I'm sewing lots of shirts and jersey pants and I will have to do that for quilte some time. So I'm considering buying a coverlock. But I don't know if it's worth the money. My dealer has one on sale, a Bernina 009D, now $ 375.00, normal price $ 970.00
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

I have one and I love it. It's not a BL but I would certainly entertain ownership at that price. It's great for hemming and sewing in elastic as well as some decorative sewing.

Thank you zipit!

'Coverlock' is a bit different than 'overlock'...your basic serger does not do coverlock. I have an Elna (for 3 yrs now!) and I have never used the cover feature. I just have mine set up for 5 threads and it takes care of most everything I do. I do LOVE it for finishing seams.

I know mermaid as I do have a serger.

Blog Entries
    Huh. Learn something new every day. I've never heard of a "coverlock" until now! I thought maybe there was a typo... How is a coverlock different from an overlock, or serger?

A coverlock gives you straight stitchlines on the front and finishing like a serger on the back.

Or sew from the back and have a decorative stitch on the front. Most (casual) knit garments are hemmed with a coverstitch.

Blog Entries
    Thank you!

Blog Entries
    I couldn't get along without my coverlock. I use it a lot. You should buy one if you sew a lot of knits.

Thank you!
    I tested the Bernina 009D but that was/is a pain in the behind! So I ordered a Janome 100 cpx. Bit more expensive but way easier to thread and new and the Bernina was a used one. I hope it will be here next week!

My baby lock overlocker also does coverstitch and I find it very useful for hems, belt loops and bag handles. I am thinking of doing lace insertion with it, so if you had a separate coverstiych machine, it would save a lot of time not having to convert everything each time.

Thank you jitkaau! I've seen the sergers with coverlock possibility and it seems a pain to have to covert everything each time. I do have an old serger but it still works great so I'm buying a separate coverlock machine. I didn't think of bag handles and such, thanks for the inspiration!

Well I live my evolution does both overlock and cover lock/ chain stitch. I also have a 4 thread Janome serger that I love. It really finishes the garment lovely! Many have 2 separate ones. I found that switching in the evolution is easy so opted not to get a separate one. Many do especially if they have the room.
    From the heart
    Nancy

I purchased a floor model Brother Coverlock for under 200$. I love it for hemming the sleeves of sweatshirts and hems of sweat pants. So much more professional looking than the sewing machine method. The price was too good to pass up. YOur Bernina sounds like a steal! Go get it!

Bag handles? Now to do that too! Great Idea!!

Yes, I have serger for seams.
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Sandy, I do have the Bernina at home but I don't like the way it performs. Besides the chain foot is missing so I'll bring it back.
    Making belt loops with a coverlock is a great idea too, I always hated making those!

I have the Babylock Evolution, and it is very easy to convert. It has jet air threading (put the end of the thread in a port hole and push a button) and doesn't need to be threaded in any special order like my other sergers.
    gmaybee

bag handles with coverlock

Quote Originally Posted by gmaybee View Post
    I have the Babylock Evolution, and it is very easy to convert. It has jet air threading (put the end of the thread in a port hole and push a button) and doesn't need to be threaded in any special order like my other sergers.
    Can anyone post a photo showing bag handles made with the overlook?

That is a great price and if it isn't too hard to change it to coverlock you will use it a lot for hemming. It doesn't stretch the fabric and gives a very perfessional look.

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Thanks for such a good picture. My serger does this too.

I have the Janome 1000 CPX and I love it. I haven't used it a lot, only because I haven't had lots of knits to hem, but when I do, I'm so glad I've got it. I'm sure you will love it
    Blessings from Janice

Thank you all and thank you miss_ticky! I ordered the Janome 1000 CPX, when I'm lucky I will have it by the end of this week I'm sewing knits right now and I wish I had it already!

Blog Entries
    does this have anything to do with those two adorable, teensy-tiny babies in your avatar?
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Yes nancia, it does! The twins were born on January 20th, 14 weeks early. They're 9 weeks old now and allowed to wear cloths so I'm sewing tiny shirts and pants, all knits.

I also ordered the Janome 100 CPX. I found that it was the only coverlock I could find with a free arm. I should have it by next Tuesday. I'm excited!