Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: craigs list

Blog Entries

craigs list

I put a machine on craigs list and got an instant buyer. Got the check today and it was for double the money. Since I figured it was a scam I took the check to the bank. Sure enough it is a NON existing account! Tonight I got 3 texts from this person asking me to ship it right away & the extra money was for fast shipping!! I filed a report with the Sherriff, I still have the machine but hope these crooks get caught before they fool someone. Be careful out there. The Sherriff told me the same is going on on e bay and that money orders and certified checks are about 99 percent phony
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    Yikes!!! Thanks for warning sad because I use checks, makes harder for me I'd never think of doing that

So glad you were cautious and figured out their scam!! Shame on them.
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

Blog Entries
    My bank account does not do checks I have to use the Post Office to get a check for my cash. It works well as it makes it safer for receiver and me.
    glad you weren't fooled.
    Finished is better than a UFO

That is why I use PayPal only for payment on all my transactions. Thanks for the post.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

When selling on CL, I only take CASH, money orders, cashiers check or paypal. Solves that issue!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ladydukes View Post
    When selling on CL, I only take CASH, money orders, cashiers check or paypal. Solves that issue!
    Money orders and cashiers checks can be fraudulent too, according to this website:
    http://www.lookstoogoodtobetrue.com/...oneyorder.aspx

Be careful with PayPal. I have been getting fraudulent emails for several days. I just forward them to PayPal. Christmas is coming--guess the crooks need to do their shopping early. I don't have a PayPal account anymore.
    Sue

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    what a shame. you have to be so careful now adays. cant trust anyone.

I had a guy come here once when I was selling tractor tire chains...he wanted to give me a check..I refused...it was a weekday..told him to go to the bank and come back..he told me he was a sherriff...I didn't believe him...called my brother in law(state trooper)..he really was a sherriff !! He had long scurfy hair..he was just an oddball...but you never can tell!
    I did learn an excellent tip...when someone comes to your house...go out and immediately take a pic of their licence plate and send it to anyone..if they have bad intentions, it scares the heck out of them..I had 1 guy get back in his car and just peel out of here! It's a scary world..we need to be prepared!

Quote Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
    I had a guy come here once when I was selling tractor tire chains...he wanted to give me a check..I refused...it was a weekday..told him to go to the bank and come back..he told me he was a sherriff...I didn't believe him...called my brother in law(state trooper)..he really was a sherriff !! He had long scurfy hair..he was just an oddball...but you never can tell!
    I did learn an excellent tip...when someone comes to your house...go out and immediately take a pic of their licence plate and send it to anyone..if they have bad intentions, it scares the heck out of them..I had 1 guy get back in his car and just peel out of here! It's a scary world..we need to be prepared!
    This is a really great idea!

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago and I knew that their offering double the asking price had to be a scam. Text them back and told them not to contact me again. Solved that issue. The problem is some people don't realize that it is a scam.

Blog Entries
    He was probably undercover kind of cop. We have one here that is real scary looking when he has his long hair and beard, but cleaned up he is not too bad.

I had the same thing happen to me. I reported it too.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    That is why I use PayPal only for payment on all my transactions. Thanks for the post.
    My boss's Paypal account was hacked twice!!!

Blog Entries
    I checked groceries for a major chain for a long time and we were never allowed to take postal money orders as we were told there was lots of fraud in them I do no use or go to craigs list as I have heard many complaints on them

I only sell locally. The buyer must meet me in a public location and have CASH with them. I haven't sold anything as large as a sewing machine, but that's how I would sell one if I had one to sell. If I had anything like jewelry to sell, the sale would take place inside a police station...no joke. People are doing that.

I posted an ad on CraigsList for vintage doilies and ended up selling not only the doilies, but a quilt to a neighbor who lived 2 streets from me. I only sell locally accepting only cash.

Blog Entries
    I have bought and sold a lot on Craigslist and never had a problem I always insist on cast there is an atm up the street.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Daughter had the same experience...took to police station...was told it was a scam, but they really couldn't do anything about it.....return addy on envelope was also false......

A lot of the younger moms sell through Facebook. My DD does. Only local, only cash, and only meet at the police station parking lot in town.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

So far I've never had a problem with Craigslist but if I am selling something I make the person put something totally weird in the subject line when they email me back, ask for their home, work number and full name with the explanation that I'm keeping us both safe. If they are legit they have no problem with my request. The police station here suggests you meet people in their lobby. If I meet someone in a public place I do the parking lot of Bojangles. It's a small area where there are many people so it safer. I would never meet someone at a Walmart or Target parking lot. I never go alone and have actually taken one of the kids I worked with. He's about 6'4" and looks intimidating but is an absolute pussycat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
    My boss's Paypal account was hacked twice!!!
    After buying something on eBay, I always go to PayPal now and make sure to close out that window. Ever since eBay purchased PayPal they leave the PayPal window open even after you leave eBay. Leaving the PayPal window open makes it easier for hackers to get through.

Power Poster
    You can't be too careful..A lot of scammers out there....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    After buying something on eBay, I always go to PayPal now and make sure to close out that window. Ever since eBay purchased PayPal they leave the PayPal window open even after you leave eBay. Leaving the PayPal window open makes it easier for hackers to get through.
    My PayPal account was hacked before ebay bought them. There were charges for almost 1000, I contacted pay pal and they told me to create new username and passwords which I did plus I removed my bank account info at the same time. Thank goodness the next morning I contacted the bank and they closed my account. PayPal tried to let all of the charges go thru, I have an agreement that for 30 each they will pay charges to my account which is cheaper than returned check fees. PayPal wouldn't talk to me, they kept saying I had to check the status of my account on line but when I tried to logon on line it wanted me to verify my account information for my bank before I even got in. It was even for an old account that wasn't used and had expired. I couldn't talk to anyone or get into my PayPal account so I've never done business with them since. They even had the nerve to send me an email because my bank refused to process the fake charges. It took them a week to finally say it was settled but I won't go back to them due to the way they handled it.

I also put a machine on CL once and got something similar to this. I knew it was a scam and told them so and told them not to contact me again. My Viking #1, is still sitting in the box. I had just gotten it back from being serviced when this happened and haven't wanted to deal with it again.
    Judy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast