Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Credit Card Confusion Over Replacement Cards >

Credit Card Confusion Over Replacement Cards

Credit Card Confusion Over Replacement Cards

Old 08-07-2023, 11:12 AM

Default Credit Card Confusion Over Replacement Cards

I am just passing on some information that others might find useful in the future. At the end of July we were notified by Mastercard that there had been unauthorized charges made on our account and we would be receiving new cards with a new account number. (My hubby and I only use this card for our PayPal purchases.) Today we received two new cards, but they had different account numbers! Before we activated either number, I called Mastercard to report what I believed to be an error on the cards. After talking with 2 different people that I couldn't understand, I was finally told that the cards were correct and should have different numbers. Due to all the theft and fraudulent charges that are taking place, changes were made in the way that accounts are now being handled. Each person authorized to use any given card/account is assigned their own number. A single monthly statement will now show what charges were made to each number, and if one of the card numbers is activated, they all are. There was not one word of explanation on the letter that came with the new cards. With all the cards that are renewed or replaced every month, can you imagine the number of times that they have to deal with questions like mine? I don't know if other credit card companies are doing the same, but maybe this will help you Mastercard holders the next time that you get new cards after yours have expired. Hopefully you'll get more information with your cards than we did.
Old 08-07-2023, 11:40 AM

I thought that's what they'd been doing for years. ALL of my cards (not just MC) are different from my husband's cards, even though they're the same account.
Old 08-07-2023, 12:03 PM

Ours have always been the same for over 50 years.
Old 08-07-2023, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

Ours have all renewed the way you are
describing. I guess things change with the times.
Old 08-07-2023, 12:05 PM

yeah, ours have been different numbers for years, and any time we've changed them or the bank has they are different numbers again. Be sure to update PayPal or where ever you use them.
Old 08-07-2023, 12:43 PM

Ours have always been the same numbers on both cards. One of them just renewed and they had the same numbers. It probably depends on the issuing bank. My cards are from Chase.
Old 08-07-2023, 01:24 PM

Yup it has always been this way. Mastercard, Visa, Discover, American Express, etc are the network in which financial institutions such as Capital One, Bank of America, Chase, Citi etc process credit card transactions. If you ever wondered why American Express and Discover are not always accepted everywhere its because AMEX and Discover process their own transactions on their own network as well as issue their own credit cards. Processing fees can be higher for using a AMEX or Discover card so not all business's accept those cards.
Old 08-07-2023, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

I have a couple of cards under my name only. Husband has his. We have one together. I keep cards in my name to keep my credit history and credit score high. My friend never had credit in her name only her husband's even though she had cc cards in her name but was on his account. He passed away and she had a very hard time getting credit for anything in her name. I told her not to cancel his cc account and keep using her card and apply for credit in her name and then cancel. She did anyway and the accounts were closed. She thought she was doing what was right. Cost her a lot of stress. The person she talked to said you reported the info and now I have to cancel the cards. The don't ask don't tell situation.
Old 08-07-2023, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have a couple of cards under my name only. Husband has his. We have one together. I keep cards in my name to keep my credit history and credit score high. My friend never had credit in her name only her husband's even though she had cc cards in her name but was on his account. He passed away and she had a very hard time getting credit for anything in her name. I told her not to cancel his cc account and keep using her card and apply for credit in her name and then cancel. She did anyway and the accounts were closed. She thought she was doing what was right. Cost her a lot of stress. The person she talked to said you reported the info and now I have to cancel the cards. The don't ask don't tell situation.
yea ours are like that too. His, mine, ours. Has always worked out. We never fight over money. His shoes left everywhere - well - yes 😁
Old 08-07-2023, 03:51 PM

Our cards both have the same number.
Now that I've gotten used to locking my card when I don't use it, I really like that feature. Once I see the charge has been removed from my line of credit I lock the card & then don't turn it on again until I get ready to make another purchase.