crock pot problems

Old 06-21-2011, 01:20 PM

I have the opposite problem. I've been using my crock pot for so many years now that I've simply cooked the finish right off of the crock but the heating element works like a champ. Wish I lived near a city so I could hit the thrift shops for a new crock! Oh well, they make those disposable cooking bags for them now so I'll just continue to use those in the crock until I need both parts replaced. Good Luck!
Old 06-21-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by joycecil
You just can't use the lid in the oven.
Unless all glass, then you can. They are made to heat to boiling, so you should have no problems. If you are not sure, wrap the whole lid in tin foil, then use it that way. If it breaks, no glass in the food. If your lid has plastic on it, measure it, and go to Goodwill and find an all glass lid to fit it.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:29 PM

Ours quit this week also. DH bought a new one for less than twenty dollars, and the book that came with it said not to use the crock or lid in oven, stove top, etc. Too bad, as I love the crockery. As someone else said, "when in doubt, don't". I had an oven approved stoneware slab break on me once and it was a real mess to clean up.... Good luck and be safe. ;)
Old 06-21-2011, 03:29 PM

If it is a crock, yes you can use it in the oven but watch the handle on top the lid. Sometimes they do not like the heat, just depends on what they are made of.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by liondenise
that happened to mine too so now I use the stone bowl part when I make pickles - works just like a crock
this is a great idea!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nolee
It's like Corning Ware; go ahead and use it in the oven.
this is exactly what I was thinking.....
Old 06-22-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier
Does anyone know???? My crock pot quit heating...Can I use the stone liner and lid in my oven for slow cooking? If not .... anyone have any ideas of possible use for the liner. No drainage hole so flower pot is out of question..too big for paper weight!
I have mine in the oven many times. No problems.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:24 PM

I don't see why you couldn't use the crock in the oven.

My very first crock had an all glass lid.

All the ones since then have a hard, plastic knob handles. I have very nice pots and pans and the plastic knob handles on the lids go in the oven just fine. But, the skillets can't go in the oven because of the handles. You would think the skillet handles would be move oven resistent than the lid handles.!

I use those liners all the time. Makes clean up a breeze! Won't go back to using the crock without them! I do spray them with cooking spray, found out the hard way that food really sticks to it and lost good size chunks of meat.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by RobertaMarie
Ours quit this week also. DH bought a new one for less than twenty dollars, and the book that came with it said not to use the crock or lid in oven, stove top, etc. Too bad, as I love the crockery. As someone else said, "when in doubt, don't". I had an oven approved stoneware slab break on me once and it was a real mess to clean up.... Good luck and be safe. ;)
I lost a very large batch of enchiladas once - glass casserole cracked in 2 - mess in oven, food unsafe re: chards.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by montanajan
Originally Posted by RobertaMarie
I lost a very large batch of enchiladas once - glass casserole cracked in 2 - mess in oven, food unsafe re: chards.
OOPS - should proof before sending - meant Shards!